Newbie struggle with sound levels

ypan07

Okay, so I have had this 5.1 setup (Denon x1500h AVR, Dali Z5 fronts, Pico vokal center, Dali E9 sub, Focal Dome surrounds) for last 2 weeks. Its mostly satisfying but sound levels for different sources has been a constant struggle. I notice that for 2-channel sources its okay but DD or DD+ are not. For built-in Tune-in Internet Radio, I get very good sound at Volume set at 35-40 itself but Tata sky needs more than 70 and some downloaded torrents need more than 80 to be just right (no, I am not one of those booming the heck out of neighbors). Slightly better with Fire stick but some movies will take more than 65 on the volume knob to be just right. I have done Audyssey calibration several times and notice that Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Sound actually help (sound is even lower with these turned off). AVR sound modes like DDSurround etc make it better and the Direct mode has even lower sound.

Is this normal or something wrong in my setup?

Its mostly satisfying but sound levels for different sources has been a constant struggle.

The scenario is almost same for me too with various sources..

I have done Audyssey calibration several times and notice that Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Sound actually help (sound is even lower with these turned off).

Once you have calibrated with Audyssey, make sure the all the speakers are set to"Small" and set a crossover of 80Hz to the sub..

Yes, your observation is right.. Dynamic volume helps level the volume variation..

Volume level with STB is low.. Set the volume of STB to full using its original remote first and then use the AVR remote to adjust..

some downloaded torrents need more than 80 to be just right (no, I am not one of those booming the heck out of neighbors).

Hope the file has 5.1 audio codec?..

Yes, this is very normal and each one of us irrespective of receiver faces this volume imbalance on different sources, different formats. Go to your Inputs menu and you will see a menu, Source Level. Adjust the scale to level the sources. You will have to switch to each source to adjust its level.

MaSh

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back