Nikon 3100 or Canon1100d

Almost all of the present day cameras are capable of producing good results. Don't go by specifications or what the people tell you. Go to a nearby shop and hold both the cameras. Compare how the two models feel in your hand, how comfortable you are with the camera and how easy or difficult it is to use it.

Remember - Good photographs are always made by the people behind the camera and not by the camera on its own.

Camera is tool and is only as good as the person who uses it. So, find the camera that you'll be able to use most comfortably and easily.

(It's the same as in audio systems. In audio you have to trust your own ears and buy what you like and in photography you have to hold the cameras and buy what feels right )

Gobble, I used to live in Paris some years back...I bought it there not sure about warranty but jj Mehta do sell them
Asit , mine is the 4/3 system..(e510)I greatly prefer architectural/landscape photography and Olympus has a really fast 11-22 @ 2.8 lens which I favour

But the 7D is really fast..I was in Barcelona a coup,e of weeks back and got a chance to use a 7d...fantastic high ISO performance...my Olympus just could not focus in that light :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@mabhi: If I was picking up a camera today, I would in all likelihood pick up the Nikon D90. With the release of D7000, you should be able to get a D90 at a good price. I would skip the included lens and pick up a 18-200 VR. If I am on a tight budget, I would pick up a 50mm prime.

There is a reason why entry level cameras are called entry level. (It has been a while since I held a camera in my hands, so I am going to speak from memory.) The mid/higher end cameras are much easier to configure. You get specialized buttons and your fingers will remember soon memorize the controls. The camera controls do not get in the way when you are trying to do your photography.

Most of the controls on a low end camera like D3100 will be through the LCD screen, some buried many levels deep in the menu. Making quick changes to the configuration can be a pain.

Disclaimer: I have a Nikon bias. I am sure a few year old mid range Canon will be a much better bargain than an entry level new one.

There is a reason why entry level cameras are called entry level. (It has been a while since I held a camera in my hands, so I am going to speak from memory.) The mid/higher end cameras are much easier to configure. You get specialized buttons and your fingers will remember soon memorize the controls. The camera controls do not get in the way when you are trying to do your photography.

Most of the controls on a low end camera like D3100 will be through the LCD screen, some buried many levels deep in the menu. Making quick changes to the configuration can be a pain.

I actually hate those complex lcd menus, and would greatly favor a very simple camera body with almost no features except for aperture/shutter/whitebalance/focus settings all on mechanical controls not software and with a real viewfinder not the lcd. I would verily have gone for the Fuji x100 if it came with a 18-135mm lens or something (but its strength in IQ is derived primarily from possessing a single focal length lens).

I am still hung up on the gritty tactile winding sensation of the film forward mechanism in the old Yashica Electra35 I used.

What camera would you experts recommend in this case?

--G0bble

Last edited:
Thatguy,
D90 is a great camera. Unfortunately, it may not be available new any more, and if it is, it still would be close to 50k, and I am not sure if mabhi wants to go to that price bracket. The kit lens (18-105) that comes with it, although having a plastic mount, is a very very good lens as well for a kit lens with good optics, resolution and build quality. I was very close to buying this camera, used it for a while, but it is heavier and bulkier than the Canon 550D I was comparing the D90 with, with very similar image quality and low light performance (actually the colour saturation is slightly better with the 550D in higher iso, see the comparison in cameralabs.com). My wife did not like the bigger size and heavier bulk of the D90, because she has much smaller hands and wanted to use this camera once in a while.

Arj,
The 550D low light performance is exactly the same as that of the 7D, the both having the same sensor. In fact the 550D may have a slight edge in low light according to many reviews and dxomark (just like the Nikon D5000 may be just a tad better than the D90, both having the same sensor again, but I suppose the slight differences occur because of memory management which is more robust in the more expensive cameras). When I said the 7D is faster than the 550D, I meant that the 7D can take more shots per second in the continuous shoot mode, so better for sports photography. Actually the 550D is not much of a camera when it comes to fast shoot (I mean shots per second, otherwise focuses very fast and negiigible lag elsewhere). But otherwise, I am very happy with it. I can literally shoot in near darkness.

G0bble,
I am not an expert, just an enthusiast. However, if you avoid the entry level D3100 and 1100D where many of the adjustments are menu driven (I know, I owned the D3000 for a while), the next level like the D5000, D5100, 550D, 600D will give you faster adjustments with a few dedicated buttons. You have to see for yourself which one suits you the best. Look at my first post in this thread, and see how usually I shoot with my 550D. I hardly miss a shot. At times, when I have a bit more time, I do also fully manual and experiment. It's actually quite easy with these mid-entry level DSLRs these days. Because of the excellent image quality of these, many professionals also keep these as a second camera. At least these are much lighter and obviously much easier to carry around for a whole day in trying circumstances for a pro.

Regards

Last edited:
Buswal,
Gerry_the_Merry is talking about the Canon line of cameras 40D, 50D and these were one level higher than the cameras we have been talking about in this thread. I think you are talking about the Nikon entry level D40 which was a great camera for the price. Yes the Nikon D5000 has better low light performance and generally a better camera than the D40.

AHi asit,

I was referring to Canon 40D only, which is prosumer model compared to Nikon D3100, D5000 etc.

cheers,

D90 would be my top pick. I have seen that the toughest shots are the ones of flying birds, and while it depends on the user ultimately, the D90 feels just right, along with my 70-300 lens, in taking these shots.

But the whole thing is around 1.5kgs. At high ISO (1600) when viewed on a 27 inch iMac screen, the wildlife shots are pretty grainless

Its a tuff choice between Canon and Nikon both have there pros and cons I have used both and currently have the Nikon D90 excellent camera. Some valuable tips have been given by the forum members. You will be able to narrow down on your choice

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

I AM JUST A BEGINNER WITH MY POINT AND SHOOT CAMERA ,I WOUL LOVE TO TAKE PICS AT LOW LIGHT AND POTRATITS BUT I FAILED TO TAKE THEM.

If you are a beginner the best option will be going for a good condition 350d from a known and reliable source. You can get one under 10k with a kit lens . If you search you will get it under 8k . You can experiment with it for some time and add some good and cheep lens like the nifty fifty (50mm 1.8) which is excellent for DOF experiments and low light photography . After using this for some time you will find that weather you are really interested in photography and the area of your interest, like portrait or some thing else. If you feel that you are really interested in this hobby after some experience with this combo you can sell your 350d with out losing much money and get those specific bodies and lens which suits for your needs .
I have seen people buying costly Dslrs and lens on an impulse and after some time which will be lying in the bag and gathering fungi or been sold at a heavy loss.
And if you are not going to make large prints you may not notice the image quality difference between a 6MP DSLR and 18MP DSLR .

Last edited:
And if you are not going to make large prints you may not notice the image quality difference between a 6MP DSLR and 18MP DSLR .

The above is very true, mabhi. Kannan_madhu has given a substantial and new suggestion which you should consider, I think. There is no hurry. Evaluate your needs and proceed. Basically take your time.

Regards.

I actually hate those complex lcd menus, and would greatly favor a very simple camera body with almost no features except for aperture/shutter/whitebalance/focus settings all on mechanical controls not software and with a real viewfinder not the lcd. I would verily have gone for the Fuji x100 if it came with a 18-135mm lens or something (but its strength in IQ is derived primarily from possessing a single focal length lens).

I am still hung up on the gritty tactile winding sensation of the film forward mechanism in the old Yashica Electra35 I used.

--G0bble

Hi Gobble,

Why not stick to film cameras? I have been taking pictures with them for nearly half a century and hope to continue doing so in the future.

A top of the line Canon F1n or a Nikon F3 with a fast wide aperture lens in excellent condition should be available around for 10-12k. It will offer all the features you want i.e. full manual control and film of all speeds from slow to ultra fast emulsions.

Keep the film brigade flag flying!

Regards.

--G0bble

Gobble, I have a Nikon D200( which I bought used) which has pretty much all the controls you mentioned on the body itself. It is quite chunky in size and weight, the mag alloy body weighing close to a kilo. But it is awesome to behold.:)
Why dont you try getting your hands on one of those?
The d3100 is an excellent DSLR for the money. Though I do not do nitpicking between closely matched specs and benchmark figures, I do think D3100 is a better deal than 1100D. If going for Canon, opt for the awesome 550D for a little more money.

Or as someone very sensibly pointed out, go for a cheaper used body and figure out your preferences. The only catch is that you wont have HD video capabilities or any video capability at all with older bodies.

Hi Gobble,

Why not stick to film cameras?

Keep the film brigade flag flying!

Regards.
Film? No .. I dont have the patience to run into town to get it processed and I want to crop/tweak my images as the subject of interest is usually
surrounded by ugly mess that is public space in India.

Gobble, I have a Nikon D200( which I bought used) which has pretty much all the controls you mentioned on the body itself. It is quite chunky in size and weight, the mag alloy body weighing close to a kilo. But it is awesome to behold.:)
I do think D3100 is a better deal than 1100D. If going for Canon, opt for the awesome 550D for a little more money.

Hmm ... I dont want to lug 1kg round. Is sometimes take many hours (skipping lunch) to photograph a temple of archaeological value (fascinates me) and dont want tired arms and shoulders to add to my fatigue on such a day.

I am really very tempted to pick the Fuji x100 and change my photography style to accommodate the fixed lens, now that firmware updates have fixed many issues with it. :licklips:

Edit: But Wait! I think I will go for the new Fuji x10 with its 28-135mm lens :licklips: http://fujifilm-x.com/x10/en/index.html

--G0bble

Last edited:
Kannan, it is quite an advantage to have video. Photography as a purist hobby existed in teh days when there were no handy cams around. If one is shooting wildlife, taking photographs is a must, but if there is a great action scene going on, like Wildebeast migration or tiger walking down a jungle path, time lost in fishing out your video camera or smartphone, adn then hendling two devices at once can be expensive.

Also buying used may protect you against depreciation in value. I think canon has a particularly good used body and lens network.

For pure portraits, and a bit of distance shooting, the Canon/Olympus/Nikon brigade has 3/4 sensor cameras in the 26k price range which are very handy and take brilliant pix and are very good for close pics, though they are not DSLR. Their build quality is superb. Else one has to be changing the lens in the DSLR all the time.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back