Nikon 3100 or Canon1100d

Gerry , the DSLR video technology although gives exemplary image quality its not matured enough in Auto focus department . It needs special skills to manually focus moving subjects . Because of DSLRs big sensors it give a shallow DOF which is very cinema like but very easily the subject can go out of focus . its may be great to shoot a movie (recently a Malayalam movie "chappa kurisu " was shot with 7d) but not for shooting your kids birthday party .

I am really very tempted to pick the Fuji x100 and change my photography style to accommodate the fixed lens, now that firmware updates have fixed many issues with it.

Didn't know about x100. Thanks. I have had my eye on the Leica X1 for some time but couldn't get myself to write a $2000 check. This one looks like a very credible alternative.

Last edited:
read the equipment reviews by Ken Rockwell before deciding. Also remember that you not only have to hold the camera while shooting, but also while pulling out of your bag etc. So mount needs to be matched with lens weight.

hey guys i checked out nikon 3100 and canon d550 was really more confused ..
as nikon 50mm f1.4 comes around 14.5k while same for canon comes around 26k.
i wanted a camera which has cheaper lens as picture quality completely depend on it .

Now it seems the Nikon vs Canon war is taking place.......very difficult to say which one is better........buy the one YOU like best.........:cool:)

hey guys i checked out nikon 3100 and canon d550 was really more confused ..
as nikon 50mm f1.4 comes around 14.5k while same for canon comes around 26k.
i wanted a camera which has cheaper lens as picture quality completely depend on it .

First, why do you need a 1.4 lens? What do you want to do that can't be done with a 1.8 lens.

Second, are you sure you are comparing the right products, Nikon has more than one version of 50mm prime lens (I am not up-to-date with the latest information, but I am quite certain they do. There is definitely one without motor, and one with the SW motor. Do not remember if they have lenses which will only work with APS sized sensors).

Third, you really need to do some more research on DSLR systems.

Last edited:
i am talking about is nikon 1.4 d lens .i wanted for portraits and landscape and marco.so looking with fix aperture or prime lens.

i apologize to all the user for asking silly question as this my first time and wanted to take right first step.

@ Asit .. Even I am on a look out for my entry level DSLR...... I prime objjactive is also to get stunning indoor low light pictures. Typical diwali scenario. Next is landscapes and tourist spots. I read few of your posts where you have raved about 550D low light shots, can you share few of your low and ultra low light shots so that I can have some idea.

However what ever few small reviews/discuessions I have read online, prefers Nikon 5100 to be a better low light performer than 550D. Check out there links ...

Re: Canon 550D or Nikon D5100 ?: Beginners Questions Forum: Digital Photography Review

Canon 550D vs Nikon D5100. Which one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YfvM8svp24&feature=related

For me low light performance is the prime concern, rest can still take a back seat.

suggestions .....

Last edited:
i am talking about is nikon 1.4 d lens .i wanted for portraits and landscape and marco.so looking with fix aperture or prime lens.

i apologize to all the user for asking silly question as this my first time and wanted to take right first step.

u cannot use 50 mm lens for landscape and macro and even for portrait u will need a 85 mm lens or a 70-200 f2.8

50mm for Nikon and canon would be 85mm equivalent in a Film camera...so it is pretty good for portraits

Last edited:
@ Asit .. Even I am on a look out for my entry level DSLR...... I prime objjactive is also to get stunning indoor low light pictures. Typical diwali scenario. Next is landscapes and tourist spots. I read few of your posts where you have raved about 550D low light shots, can you share few of your low and ultra low light shots so that I can have some idea.

However what ever few small reviews/discuessions I have read online, prefers Nikon 5100 to be a better low light performer than 550D. Check out there links ...

For me low light performance is the prime concern, rest can still take a back seat.

suggestions .....

Hi sams9s,
I would think, their low light performance would be quite close in practice, even if you take large prints. So you can forget about if it's a Nikon or Canon, and just hold the two cameras in hand and see how they feel in your hands, and at the same time how comfortable you are with making different adjustments before you shoot a particular shot. Another thing to do is a bit of research on the kind of lenses you like to have, their reviews and prices. Good sites for lens reviews are LensTip.com - lens review, lenses reviews, lens specification - Lenstip.com, Welcome to Photozone!, fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom and of course Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ.

Regards.

For some one starting / taking photography as a hobby a 50mm 1.8 is more than enough for portraits ( it acts as a 85mm on the crop bodies coupled with the wide open aperture its makes nice portraits ). And its cheep too just 5 to 6 K and gives great bang for the buck . but unfortunately the nikon (cheep) version of the 50mm 1.8 wont auto focus with low end bodies like the 5100 and 3100 s .

Macros , portraits and landscape which are three different genre of photography which needs different specialized lens .
for macros you need macro lens whic are higher magnification , for portraits you need some thing in the range of 70 - 200 mm with a high aperture like f4 , f2.8 etc . and for landscapes wide angle lens .
if you are on a budget and want to taste all the three go for the 1000d + 18 55 IS kit lens + 50mm 1.8 + 55 250mm IS lens + extension tube + tripod
don't bother much about low light performance and megapixels

sams9s,

As per your request in your previous post, I am trying to attach a few low light /high iso pictures I have readily available in my laptop. Please note that these are almost unedited pictures and certainly not all of them are high quality (just converted from raw to jpgs with serious quality cutting to be able to upload, 25 MB to a few hundred KB).

I am a bit embarrassed to show these mediocre to poor photos. I have a few better ones, but they are in our desktop and would need a bit of work now to upload.

Here they go:

Camp Noel resort 40 km from Munnar in the evening. Aperture priority. Shutterspeed=1/4, f/4.0, ISO=3200. It is taken hand-held.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Camp Noel resort 40 km from Munnar in the evening. Aperture priority. Shutterspeed=1/50, f/5.6, ISO=3200.

Bharatanatyam concert at Thekkady hotel. Shutterspeed priority. Exposure=1/500, f/4.5, ISO=3200 (see corner darkness, have to edit them out)

One bedroom of the Muthoot houseboat. Aperture priority. Exposure=1/500, f/4.0, ISO=1600.

Taken from Canoe in one of the narrow backwater canals. Aperture priority, exposure=1/80, f/8.0, ISO=320

Regards.

I have a NIKON D-90 with 18-105mm kit lens. I am also looking for a suitable lens for portraits and landscapes.

Some of my pics of interest areas..... with the existing setup....handheld..

By [URL=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/taureanbull]taureanbull at 2011-10-31[/URL]

By [URL=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/taureanbull]taureanbull at 2011-10-31[/URL]

And my setup with my lens...

By [URL=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/taureanbull]taureanbull at 2011-10-11[/URL]

Macros , portraits and landscape which are three different genre of photography which needs different specialized lens .
for macros you need macro lens whic are higher magnification , for portraits you need some thing in the range of 70 - 200 mm with a high aperture like f4 , f2.8 etc . and for landscapes wide angle lens ....
if you are on a budget and want to taste all the three go for the 1000d + 18 55 IS kit lens + 50mm 1.8 + 55 250mm IS lens + extension tube + tripod ...
don't bother much about low light performance and megapixels

Hi Kannan,

What is the prevailing market price for the Canon 1000D plus 18-55 mm lens kit ?

What would be a fair price for two used Canon 20D bodies with Tamron 28-200 mm LD Aspherical f 1:3.8-5.6 and Sigma 70-300mm DL Macro f 1:4-5.6 lenses?

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi Miroflex,

The current version of the Canon 18-55 kit lens with IS has pretty good macro capability.

If you are looking for a 70-300 lens, please look at Tamron SP AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD. It may be priced around 25k, if you are thinking around that sort of budget. This is a very good 70-300 and beats the similar Canon which is priced at least 10k higher.

I am not sure how different is the newer 1100D from the earlier 1000D. Of course the 1000D would be now available at 5K-7K lower. You have to weigh in all factors before you decide. One thing I knew is that the 1000D used to come with version of the 18-55 kit lens without IS (image stabilization). Image stabilization is a good thing to have at most times. As an example, look at my first picture in my previous post. It was taken hand-held with a shutterspeed of 1/4 s, and without IS would have never come out as acceptable. Even with IS an exposure of 1/4 s (of course handheld) is usually not a guaranteed shot.

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi Asit,

Thanks for the very quick and helpful reply. I am being offered the Canon 1000D kit in new condition for Rs. 15,000 (haven't checked up whether it is with or without image stabilisation) and the Canon 20D bodies and lenses for Rs. 10,000. Although they are low megapixel cameras, they may serve my purpose as I have not given up film photography. I can't see digital photography as the main medium of picture taking for me.

Regards

Oooh .. check out those rack(s)<Tweet!>!! :licklips: Ok ok I'm not exactly a Roadside Romeo commenting about a girl passing by ... :eek:hyeah:

I am truly inspired to build a similar design for my audio gear - but with multiple shelfs and a lower height cupboard. :clapping:

Someday ...

Edit: PS: Oh almost forgot - going by the advice that one should buy a great lens first then scout for a good 2nd hand camera to pair with - which lens do you folks recommend in the 18-200 range? The best in budget below 50K? I want no barrel distortion in wide angle and great sharp pics with bokeh at zoom end.

--G0bble
:)

Last edited:
No offence to anyone, but the pics that have been shared even my Basic Nikon L120 can do. Except the one @ night that Asit shared. That is where this camera falls behind, and all indoor low light snaps without flash goes blurry. Unless the subject is absolute stationary and the camera is on tripod. .......... So what exactly is the big hue and cry for these DSLR .....

dscn0122o.jpg

dscn0136h.jpg

dscn0146aw.jpg

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back