Nikon 3100 or Canon1100d

Hi Kannan Madhu,

Thanks for sharing your views. I, however, find it difficult to get parts (C cards, batteries) as well as repair support for the Canon D20 DSLR in Allahabad and even in Pune.

Regards.

priority is best image quality.

Buy a Nikon. Comparatively, you will always have better pictures to show. You will also save tons of money in the long run will be just a bonus.

Before 2005, every comparably priced DSLR produced by Canon had an edge. After 2005, every comparably priced DSLR produced by Nikon has an edge.

Before 2005, every comparably priced DSLR produced by Canon had an edge. After 2005, every comparably priced DSLR produced by Nikon has an edge.

Can you shed some more light on this ? I thought the nikkor lenses are expensive and canon has better 3rd party lens compatibility compared to nikon.Also many reviews online say that canon is much better as a photo + video camera. Please share your views.

ok to digress a bit ...there is a saying in photography circles ..Whats important is what is behind the camera and not the camera ....means you the photographer...each equipment has + and - ..always compromises ..but at the end of the day, its how creative you are and how good your technique is . The camera cannot help you there . Have a look at Ken Rockwells site ..

Canon lenses are cheaper compared to equivalent Nikon lenses ..Just look at the 50 mm prime from both Nikon and Canon.. Also there is problem of autofocus of certain lenses on entry level Nikon DSLRs ...You need to buy AF-S lenses ..and they are costlier than corresponding AF lenses .

Just yesterday, I was seeing a photo on jjmehta forum taken by kit lens ..It was really nice ..So a lot depends on YOU the photographer ..

I thought the nikkor lenses are expensive

NOT true! Please post your source of this information.

The truth is, prices of Nikon and Canon lenses are within 10% of each other, with both sides having some lenses cheaper than the other and costlier than the other. If you are saying otherwise, please post some comparisons to support your claim.

canon has better 3rd party lens compatibility compared to nikon.

Again, NOT true. Sigma, the most prolific lens maker after Nikon and Canon, and undoubtedly the top 3rd party manufacturer, has known issues with Canon bodies.

Also many reviews online say that canon is much better as a photo + video camera.

Yes, the sites that are sponsored by Canon say so blatantly. As a company Canon has become a consumer company, which wants to sell it's products to "spec-sheet" readers. No wonder Canon has been pushing up the mega-pixels all the time, whereas other manufacturers realized that there were more than mega-pixels to photography. They went ahead with real R&D, whereas Canon remained busy pushing up the mega-pixel count.

The review sites you mention are "mega-pixel" friendly sites, and they have a certain section of the market on their target (read unsuspecting consumers). The real photographers who care about image quality (not megapixel, not video) go for Nikon.

I dont know if the OP has already committed to a decision, but I would say that either one would not be wrong. Both manufacturers have models in various ranges, these 2 being the entry level ones, so quite similar feature/functionality wise. As someone said, if you already have friends using a particular brand, go that way as you can borrow lenses from them.

Third party lenses usually provide both compatibility with both brands so that should not be an issue.

I do recommend going for a 50mm f1.8 prime lens though, even better if you can find a old manual lens with compatible mount. Will help you learn a lot about technique and composition.

Happy shooting!!

20d was EOL long back.. only way to saource parts at expensive cost id amazon.. that too rare..

That is why I dislike new equipment. There is too much planned obsolescence or built in incompatibility. Leica and Contax cameras from the 1930s are still operational. Nikon has at least kept its SLR mount the same since 1959.

Last edited:
Reading this thread has made me want to upgrade the Nikon D40 which I had bought with the standard 18-55mm lens a few years ago. This camera has served me well. It is the best I have ever had. Yesterday I contemplated 'exchanging' it for a D3100. But with a little bit of research and advise I have come to the conclusion that the 15K+ I would need to shell out for the 'exchange' is not a worthwhile exercise. The video option on the D3110 is attractive and I wouldn't mind the extra pixels but I have decided to retain the D40 and buy the AF-S DX 55-300mm lens for roughly 19K.

I will be financing the purchase by selling my virtually new and hardly ever used Panasonic GS330 video camera. I have asked the local shop from where I buy all my cameras to accept the GS330 and give me the Nikkor 55-300 lens with no cash changing hands. I am hopeful that the deal will be done next week and I can start shooting with 'a super telephoto zoom lens with built in vibration reduction' :)

For somebody looking for a brand new entry level DSLR, the D3100 bundled with a standard 18-55mm lens and an additional 55-300mm 'VR' lens would be a good buy. My D40 has made me a Nikon loyalist. I am sure that Canon is an equally good brand but I prefer the look, feel and touch of a Nikon!

I would appreciate some advise regarding which lens to buy for my Nikon D40. At the moment I am using the AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II. Should I upgrade this lens to AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (3.0x) which has the vibration reduction function?

Nikon India Private Limited

I would like some more advise/opinions about buying one of the following:

Hopefully the OP will not mind as the inputs may help him in making his decision :)

Last edited:
@Ajay,
if you could buy the 18 200VR it will be the best option, ease of use and an around performer .
18 55VR wont be a significant upgrade to your current kit lens regarding image quality. As suggested in the above post a tammy 17 50 2.8 is a worthy upgrade but it will cost around 20k .
Nikon have a 55 200 VR lens which is cheaper, it was around 10k . If you could buy the 18 200VR it will be the best option, ease of use and its an around performer .

Reading this thread has made me want to upgrade the Nikon D40 which I had bought with the standard 18-55mm lens a few years ago. This camera has served me well. It is the best I have ever had. Yesterday I contemplated 'exchanging' it for a D3100. But with a little bit of research and advise I have come to the conclusion that the 15K+ I would need to shell out for the 'exchange' is not a worthwhile exercise.

Yes, D3100 from D40 is not such a big upgrade, apart from video part. D40 is a genius of a camera, even today.

My D40 has made me a Nikon loyalist.

Not your fault, any one who has ever used D40 or D70 will become a Nikon lover. D40 was Nikon's decisive blow on Canon, from which Canon is yet to recover.

>>D40 was Nikon's decisive blow on Canon, from which Canon is yet to recover.<<
The comparable models of canon at that time used to out sell D40. The real blow of Nikon is the D3 which brought back the lost professionals to Nikon stables.

Deal completed! I have been thinking of selling my video camera for several months now. And I was beginning to get bored with the 18-55 lens I was using with the D40. Day before yesterday I finally got into the action mode. And today morning I traded in both and bought two new lenses which should take care of my humble photographic aspirations. I settled a price for both in the morning today and Nikon raised the prices of all their lenses in the afternoon. Prices have changed on the website and the dealer received an sms but he was decent enough to charge me the discounted price we had settled in the morning :)

Over the last few years I have done several speedy researches on the net which resulted in a quick buying decision. But this product upgrade happened very quickly and smoothly. I played around with the 55-200 for an hour and it seems to be a fantastic bargain for the 11K I paid for it. I have taken hundreds of pictures of my daughter with the 18-55 but ten minutes after I started using the 55-200 I managed one (fluke) shot which beats all those hundreds taken in the past!

'thatguy' suggested that I should also consider a 35 or 50mm single focal length lens. Ken Rockwell's review and the fact that it was available with the dealer made the decision easier. The 35mm f/1.8G is already the new love of my life. This is the lens for me! In 2012 my hifi system is going to take a backseat to this baby!

Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX
Nikon 55-200mm VR

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back