No 5.1 from Onkyo 3300 connected to HP Laptop via HDMI

Anil Sehrawat

I bought a HP G62 361 TX laptop with HDMI port
I tried to connect it with 3300 via HDMI cable, now the problem is that i am not getting 5.1 sound from it,Playing files in VLC player and the audio output is set to 5.1,
settings of the 3300 amp seems Ok to because i get 5.1 sound if i connect the same cable input into my WD media player

Do i need to change some settings in my Laptop? or i need some different type of HDMI cable.

please help

Last edited:
Configure the audio output on the HDMI output in your Windows system (assuming you have Windows 7). Right-click on the speaker icon in the bottom-right taskbar and click on Playback Devices. Then select your HDMI output, and configure it to output 5.1 sound.

i had the same issue and resolved by doing exactly what was suggested in the link i gave you in 3300 thread

I have the same problem. When I connect my Dell laptop va HDMI to sony TV, there is video and audio both. But the dolby DTS is lost since tv is connected to receiver via analog cables. (TV has no HDMI out or optical out)
When I connect laptop to receiver, there is video but no audio. Please help

Try this tip, original credits to Reignofchaos.

Media Player Classic - Home Cinema with ffdshow as the audio renderer. I setup ffdshow to pass through everything in its configuration.

Got it friend, thanks for all your suggestions, did some changes in audio playback options, configured the sound output and than made changes in VLC player as Borg and its working like charm through VLC player.

but still not getting DD and DTS sound from Windows media player even after all the tweaking's , getting DD and DTS with same settings from VLC but not windows Media player.

Using Windows 7 Home basis 64 bit(Genuine)
installed latest K-lite codec pack

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back