No Panasonic V30 in India?

sandipb

I have been scouting some shops in Bangalore to buy the P42V20 before it disappears, and I had got some interesting bit of information yesterday.

While the Panasonic showroom in Koramangala was only too happy to sell me the V20, the folks at Modern World, Domlur were quite uninterested. They only had the display piece to sell, and mentioned that they have not placed orders for the V20 for a while in anticipation of the 2011 models being released soon.

This sounded odd to me as the official showroom folks had told me that the V30 models will be launched only in July. So I asked the Modern World guy about the dates he had heard. He offered to talk to the official distributor in front of me for the exact dates.

According to this distributor, The V30 models are unlikely to be launched in India at all! The replacement of the V20 is being touted to be the U30. They are both supposed to have the same neopdp panel for which V20 was known for. The U30 is supposed to be launched next week.

Can someone independently confirm this? Indian Panasonic users are again being screwed by the company by being treated like a lesser region. Unless Panasonic launches better models here, how are they going to get the market which is determining which models are launched here? A chicken and egg problem.

So now I am completely confused. Should I buy the V20 while stocks last? Or shall I wait for a lot of reviews for the U30 to come in which actually confirms if it is short of any features of the V20. :sad:

Ok, this is terrible. The panasonic asia sit doesn't mention a V series at all. There is a VT series, ST, U and X.

I looked at the specs of U30 and V20 for the panels and this is what I found:

V20 specs say that the panel is:

G13 Progressive Full-HD NeoPDP (Plasma Display Panel)/Infinite Black Panel

U30 specs say that the panel is:

G14 Progressive Full-HD Plasma Display Panel with Tough Panel

The U30 panel seems to be a newer generation, but does the NeoPDP(or the lack thereof) mean anything here?

panansonic always water down the asian version, even the v20 is not the one sold in uk, not to mention usa.we pay higher price than everybody still gets inferior stuff:mad:

Assuming all the news are not hearsay but true, I am not sure how Panasonic is going to become a choice amongst general public. Already 90% (or should I say 95%) of the flat-panel TV buyers opt of LCD or LED. None of these even inquire or expresses the remotest interest in plasma panels. Panasonic models are hardly stocked by multi-brands showrooms. After that, Panasonic is not cheap at all. Now Panasonic wants to sell "watered down" versions in India.

I wonder what Panasonic's idea about India are. LG and Samsung were the first to be gung-ho on the Indian market and started aggressively. LG was leader initially but Samsung edged them out. Sony realized a little late (but at least woke up) and also banks heavily on India to shore up the top line.

I do hope that someone from the Panasonic board room is reading.

I am not sure even a model called V30 even exists anywhere , there is VT30 and GT30 though, i am guessing they will launch ST30 & GT30 in India with a high price and might or might not introduce the VT30.

They might even rename the GT30 to V30 and launch it here considering they renamed G20 to v20 last year for the Indian market.

Whatever models are released in Asia is what India would get. Hence as the Asian site does not show a V30 currently we would not one here. However all sizes may or may not be released in India.

Secondly Panasonic have realized the need for a facility in India . They were reportedly(based on news articles in early 2010) setting up a manufacturing unit in India but that includes all home appliances and LCD TVs
Though there were reports earlier in 2009 of them having plasmas produced here i cannot confirm. As they are restructuring and cutting jobs across the world now there could be changes in their plans. The Indian headcount is expected to double though.

Right, from what I can make out, there are 3 ranges of 3D and 2 of 2D: VT30, GT30 and ST30 are all 3D models, S30 or U30 (depending on the country I think) and X30 are 2D models.
Of these the S/U are HD but 900 lines moving picture res, while the X is 1024x768 and 720 lines MPR.

And if that really is the case it sucks because there are no more 1080 MPR 2D models!

I have been scouting some shops in Bangalore to buy the P42V20 before it disappears, and I had got some interesting bit of information yesterday.

While the Panasonic showroom in Koramangala was only too happy to sell me the V20, the folks at Modern World, Domlur were quite uninterested. They only had the display piece to sell, and mentioned that they have not placed orders for the V20 for a while in anticipation of the 2011 models being released soon.

This sounded odd to me as the official showroom folks had told me that the V30 models will be launched only in July. So I asked the Modern World guy about the dates he had heard. He offered to talk to the official distributor in front of me for the exact dates.

According to this distributor, The V30 models are unlikely to be launched in India at all! The replacement of the V20 is being touted to be the U30. They are both supposed to have the same neopdp panel for which V20 was known for. The U30 is supposed to be launched next week.

Can someone independently confirm this? Indian Panasonic users are again being screwed by the company by being treated like a lesser region. Unless Panasonic launches better models here, how are they going to get the market which is determining which models are launched here? A chicken and egg problem.

So now I am completely confused. Should I buy the V20 while stocks last? Or shall I wait for a lot of reviews for the U30 to come in which actually confirms if it is short of any features of the V20. :sad:

sandip

I think you have inadvertedly created confusion. There is no V30 model. The Panasonic australia range got announced in this week. There is no V30. U30 MODEL is there, but that is inferior. There are GT and ST (The T stands for third dimention)

All slated for July 2011.

If you can wait, well and good. Else, Please choose an alternative.

The Panasonic australia range got announced in this week. There is no V30. U30 MODEL is there, but that is inferior. There are GT and ST (The T stands for third dimention)

All slated for July 2011.

If you can wait, well and good. Else, Please choose an alternative.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

So given that I am unlikely to stretch my budget of ~75K for a plasma(and will not be able to buy a VT and ST), do you think it is worth getting last year's 42" V20 over the U30? I have a popcorn hour and an AVR, so I really don't need the support of all those media formats or networking/DLNA etc.

Or do you think I should look at other 2011 models like Samsung PS51d550 etc. ?

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

So given that I am unlikely to stretch my budget of ~75K for a plasma(and will not be able to buy a VT and ST), do you think it is worth getting last year's 42" V20 over the U30? I have a popcorn hour and an AVR, so I really don't need the support of all those media formats or networking/DLNA etc.

Or do you think I should look at other 2011 models like Samsung PS51d550 etc. ?

I am not sure, but I think you should be able to get atleast GT 42" for less than 75K budget. Better to wait couple of months. Don't go for X30. That is hopeless.

Guys I am in the same boat (read dilema)as Sandipb :sad:
To summarize:
1. I am looking for a plasma only
2. 42" is my selected size
3. 3D is not something I care about
4. DLNA/Wifi is something I would like

Now P42V20D fits perfectly into my requirements and heart BUT.....
VT30 is whats out there and it's a 3D TV, a feature I don't want to pay more for, so VT line is out of the race for me.

Now in the V series, if there is no V30 then there is no point waiting to buy the V20 as there isn't any V30.

SO
1. Do I go ahead and buy P42V20D asap :D
OR
2. Is there a chance V20 prices might come down once VT30 is released in India, in which case wait for another month? :sad:

Any other suggestion?...anyone?

Guys I am in the same boat (read dilema)as Sandipb :sad:
To summarize:
1. I am looking for a plasma only
2. 42" is my selected size
3. 3D is not something I care about
4. DLNA/Wifi is something I would like

Now P42V20D fits perfectly into my requirements and heart BUT.....
VT30 is whats out there and it's a 3D TV, a feature I don't want to pay more for, so VT line is out of the race for me.

Now in the V series, if there is no V30 then there is no point waiting to buy the V20 as there isn't any V30.

SO
1. Do I go ahead and buy P42V20D asap :D
OR
2. Is there a chance V20 prices might come down once VT30 is released in India, in which case wait for another month? :sad:

Any other suggestion?...anyone?

We bought V20 in group buy last month only. Please check up the thread elsewhere. And, We paid 60K. Prices will NOT come down further than this. This TV is worth this money. You will enjoy the viewing.

plasma tech is dying as LEDs coming up faster
yes the led has slight different color tone
but the LED lit panels are
-thinner ,sleek
-cool -lowpower consumption

[if panasonic does not sell the last pieces , they will be
a big liability ]

observe :
- there are increasing threads on V20
amazing JAPAN made promises delivered

the trap :
money of 90K you will pay for
a device that will depreciate by 30% in 6 months

my warnings :
1)dont buy BDP as all will go 6k
people bt at 12K , in 6months BDp fall to 7-6k
some people took at 50k coz it was oppo

2) dont buy LG optimus , bought n luckily gt refund
3) V30 etc plasmas .... unless bank account is
overweight

yes , plasma TV are well built and deliver slight
natural tones ..
by d way I have LED one

plasma tech is dying as LEDs coming up faster
yes the led has slight different color tone
but the LED lit panels are
-thinner ,sleek
-cool -lowpower consumption

[if panasonic does not sell the last pieces , they will be
a big liability ]

observe :
- there are increasing threads on V20
amazing JAPAN made promises delivered

the trap :
money of 90K you will pay for
a device that will depreciate by 30% in 6 months

my warnings :
1)dont buy BDP as all will go 6k
people bt at 12K , in 6months BDp fall to 7-6k
some people took at 50k coz it was oppo

2) dont buy LG optimus , bought n luckily gt refund
3) V30 etc plasmas .... unless bank account is
overweight

yes , plasma TV are well built and deliver slight
natural tones ..
by d way I have LED one

What???...............Is it a copy paste of some Sarcastic comments from net or your real opinion?

Very true that plasma technology will eventually die out - not a question of 'if' but rather 'when'.

However, that does not mean that we should not buy plasma TVs at all. I am not even trying to press the 'plasma vs. LCD vs. LED' debate trigger. But the statement that we should not buy plasma because it will 'die soon' is childish.

Sooner or later LCD/LED will also die out replaced by, perhaps O-LED. And why talk about the future? Let us consider the immediate past. LED lit LCDs are replacing LCDs.
Does this give owners of LCDs any advantage? Can they upgrade? Can they now enjoy better contrast ratio, and other benefits of LED?

I have a BPL-Sanyo 21" CRT and it gives brilliant service and has very good black level. In fact, it is better that the 29" Sony CRT that I purchased 4 years ago. TV is not something that you will buy every year. My best suggestion is buy what pleases you, whether LCD, LED or plasma. Do not base judgements on 'baseless assumptions' of 'outdated technology'. Whatever you buy today, will be outdated in a couple of years anyway. But just as my 1992 BPL-Sanyo 21" CRT gives me service and joy, ensure that what you buy today does not make you cry later on.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back