Noob question on NAS

john_k_antony

Hi,

I would like to get an expert opinion on my need to get a NAS for media storage and streaming.

My primary use case is to store my media (HD Video and Lossless Audio) in a central place and access them over WiFi. The media consumers are going to be DLNA enabled Blu Ray Players (Oppo 105 and Oppo 93), Ipad and Laptops.

I don't need WiFi enabled storage solution as I can keep the NAS next to my WiFi router and give it a wired network connection.

I am planning to start with a single NAS with 2TB and use for both video and audio. Later I plan to add separate ones for video and audio.

Now the main question. With the above use cases, do I need to go for a NAS solution like NetGear ReadyNAS or Synology? or can I consider getting something like this - Seagate Central | Seagate

Currently I am running Plex Media Server on one of the laptops. But that is not scaling up or is not a reliable solution. So thinking about cost effective solution.

Thanks,
John.

If you have a old pc lying somewhere you can set it up as a NAS. I exactly did the same thing and kept the NAS near my router and connected with a wire to the router and could play all the media on my android tab and oppo 93. Refer to my thread which I created today.

Further you would do well in buying the synology or netgear mrather than the Seagate as they do not have expandibility. Let the experts suggest

As someone who has owned and used both, Synology to my mind is the more expensive but better one. I'm using a Synology unit as an audio server right now with a single 3TB HDD, which I already had on hand, I may consider an upgrade to 4TB at a future date. I suggest you consider a 4TB if you can instead of a 2TB-or at least a 3TB HDD. I have just built a video server using FreeNAS, need some time to comment on it.

If you have a old pc lying somewhere you can set it up as a NAS. I exactly did the same thing and kept the NAS near my router and connected with a wire to the router and could play all the media on my android tab and oppo 93. Refer to my thread which I created today.

Further you would do well in buying the synology or netgear mrather than the Seagate as they do not have expandibility. Let the experts suggest

Hey dillihifi

Your thread gave me the encouragement to start thinking about NAS seriously :)

I do have a 12 year old P5 sitting around totally unused. I think I should take my baby steps into NAS following your path and try to revive that old PC. Later I can upgrade to a high end one like what George sir has :)

I guess I can get a decent 2TB NAS with in Rs. 10k using my old PC and adding SATA HDD. I have to see the condition of the PC and then decide.

Thanks
John.

As someone who has owned and used both, Synology to my mind is the more expensive but better one. I'm using a Synology unit as an audio server right now with a single 3TB HDD, which I already had on hand, I may consider an upgrade to 4TB at a future date. I suggest you consider a 4TB if you can instead of a 2TB-or at least a 3TB HDD. I have just built a video server using FreeNAS, need some time to comment on it.

George Sir,

On what hardware did u setup FreeNAS ? Did you assemble a PC for using as a video sever?

John.

Hi,

I would like to get an expert opinion on my need to get a NAS for media storage and streaming.

My primary use case is to store my media (HD Video and Lossless Audio) in a central place and access them over WiFi. The media consumers are going to be DLNA enabled Blu Ray Players (Oppo 105 and Oppo 93), Ipad and Laptops.

I don't need WiFi enabled storage solution as I can keep the NAS next to my WiFi router and give it a wired network connection.

I am planning to start with a single NAS with 2TB and use for both video and audio. Later I plan to add separate ones for video and audio.

Now the main question. With the above use cases, do I need to go for a NAS solution like NetGear ReadyNAS or Synology? or can I consider getting something like this - Seagate Central | Seagate

Currently I am running Plex Media Server on one of the laptops. But that is not scaling up or is not a reliable solution. So thinking about cost effective solution.

Thanks,
John.

Late in input, I was actually reading about Seagate Central before responding to your queries. See Seagate Central looks like a decent device but its just a file server with DLNA capabilities. One thing it sems to do good is serving multimedia. NAS on the other hand is also targeted towards a dedicated storage with focus on "storage" as well, along with ofcourse other nitti gritties, which other media oriented NAS provides.
If you want a no hassle, no headache, no configuration free experience, look no further than a dedicated device. Which device is something you have to decide, what exactly you want and how much can you spend. If just streaming multimedia is your objective, I think Seagate Central suffice the requirement.

If you want more like better multimedia experience with typical NAS storage features like raid, backup central storage plus to be able to access the device from internet as well over 3G, synology is THE NAS to go for. Seagate Central is around 140USD and Synology DS213j is 199 so you can judge. DS413j also does a lot more than what is discussed. Details in my NAS thread.

Late in input, I was actually reading about Seagate Central before responding to your queries. See Seagate Central looks like a decent device but its just a file server with DLNA capabilities. One thing it sems to do good is serving multimedia. NAS on the other hand is also targeted towards a dedicated storage with focus on "storage" as well, along with ofcourse other nitti gritties, which other media oriented NAS provides.
If you want a no hassle, no headache, no configuration free experience, look no further than a dedicated device. Which device is something you have to decide, what exactly you want and how much can you spend. If just streaming multimedia is your objective, I think Seagate Central suffice the requirement.

If you want more like better multimedia experience with typical NAS storage features like raid, backup central storage plus to be able to access the device from internet as well over 3G, synology is THE NAS to go for. Seagate Central is around 140USD and Synology DS213j is 199 so you can judge. DS413j also does a lot more than what is discussed. Details in my NAS thread.

Thank you very much Sams. Really appreciate your reply. I guess Seagate central @ $140 includes 2TB storage. With Synology DS213j, I need to spend extra $200 on 2TB HDD right? So a 2TB Synology setup will set me back by $400 :(

Thanks,
John.

Oh I did'nt know, seagate also includes the HDD, then its pretty inexpensive. How ever points still remains same, NAS is targeted towards storage as well, plus its much more diverse. HOwever again if your only purpose is media streaming and you would not expand the storage beyond 2TB, then I guess seagate central should do.

However if hosting your important data is one of the objective, I would not suggest Segate

However I would also like to bring that almost same like Segate Central can also be achieved via DIY hardware and an headless NAS OS like AMAHI

Last edited:
I am seriously looking at DIY route as well. Might cost little more than seagate, but will give me lots of flexibility to expand in the future.

Hi,

Thanks,
John.
Does streaming HD video over wireless work ? If yes what type of Wi Fi n,g ?

John

I got an obsolete server motherboard from my brother, with a processor and ram donated for free. The enclosure, power supply, and hard disks were bought(HDD were with me already).

Jagdish

I am not sure about HD video streaming over wifi, AFAIK it is not smooth, but the way technology is progressing it is only a matter of time.

Does streaming HD video over wireless work ? If yes what type of Wi Fi n,g ?

720p HD, 5.1 audio works fine for me with wifi N at my home. Even some 720p videos do stutter. But 1080i recorded by my camcorder seems to work fine, but they are all short videos of max 15 min length.

John.

I wanted a NAS to setup in my home couple of months ago and started to review them, i found Synology though expensive was considered good in NAS segment, when i dug deeper into NAS i found building NAS with old computer is cost effective option, i currently have my old computer setup with FreeNAS with Plex and firefly, it does a decent job streaming music/movies except for the CPU noise and power consumption.

If you have older CPU building a NAS out of them will be easy and cost effective option.

I am seriously looking at DIY route as well. Might cost little more than seagate, but will give me lots of flexibility to expand in the future.

I wanted a NAS to setup in my home couple of months ago and started to review them, i found Synology though expensive was considered good in NAS segment, when i dug deeper into NAS i found building NAS with old computer is cost effective option, i currently have my old computer setup with FreeNAS with Plex and firefly, it does a decent job streaming music/movies except for the CPU noise and power consumption.

If you have older CPU building a NAS out of them will be easy and cost effective option.

Even though DIY might sound more economical and enticing, you have to keep in mind that for a 24x7 usage you have to have a server grade hardware, specially PSU. Power consumption as mikehcm mentioned is one major concern as well, again specially if you plan to run 24x7. Automating your NAS for auto shutdown and auto power on is also tricky. (and believe me this one thing is so very important when it comes to a device which is almost alwas on) Then comes the s/w part, configuring needs some learning curve, 3rd party apps takes certain level of configuration, then not all apps are compatible. Accessing your device from Internet, not always possible with DIY NAS OS. If you plan to run a webserver and opt for PHP and MSSQL, quite a lot of learning and configuration is needed. Security is another department that is of concern with a DIY. Directory services are difficult to achive if you plan to share your device with family members or friends ........

few things but on a macro level there are more ......:)

I have only tested BRrips of 4GB/5BG over the wifi network. Well the router and the player have n capabilities so must have streamed over n but am not sure whether the router was in the n only mode or in the mixed mode. In both the tablet as well as the oppo there was no stuttering or lag, if needed i can connect the same over a wired connection but have seen no need upto now.

One of our forum member Dherrajjottwani has HP Proliant server and added a Video Card Zotac 520 and uses it as HTPC + NAS. He has mentioned that it works fine.

Regards,
Prasanna KV

Not quite your main stream question.... but my 2 cents :

Do Not Buy A SeaGate HDD. My personal experience has been Terrible.

Now there is this Reliability Study of ~27,000 HDDs:

Backblaze:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back