Norge-1000 amp with Wharfedale 9.1

sonosphere

Norge-1000 amp with Wharfedale 9.1 & 9.2

Hi! Specially to guys looking for budget-system,
After going thru lot of posts on this forum and search on web, I am done with the theory part and today ventured into auditioning things for myself. I hope my experience below will help other budget-system hunters.

What I want:
An Audio system that is good at reproducing music faithfully at living room volume (would that be 80dB at my sofa, located 2.5m from speakers?) and Cinema audio with sufficient drama to support visuals of action-flicks 100dB peak is good enough for me. All this within 40-50k.

My solution* (Shared Music and HT system I already have a DVD player)
Setup-1: Stereo amp + Bookshelf speakers + Active Subwoofer for music (Ive read some posts to hookup Active Subs with amps not having pre-outs)
Setup-2: AVR + 5.1 speakers (bookshelf and Sub shared from above via switch) for Cinema
*Many posts in this forum have recommended maintaining two setups one for music and other for HT to get the best performance.

Todays audition (For music only)
Considering my budget limits I considered Norge-1000 stereo amp and Wharfedale 9.1 bookshelves (Active sub combination not possible today) I had taken my favorite CDs from Dire Straits, Bee Gees and the recent Gajini to audition. Here is what I observed:

Disclaimer: I am a newbie as far exposure to leading edge audio experience is concerned. To some, my accolades may appear exaggerated, but I am sure that a regular guy would agree with me. My reference for comparison, is the sound I get thru my Sony headphones except punchy bass, they deliver all details (hopefully).

Settings: Volume control at 12 o clock position (clarification for newbies like me > 8 o clock is lowest, 4 o clock is max voume). Bass & Treble kept at neutral initially.

Norge 1000 + 9.1 combo came to life with Water of Love (Dire Straits). For a couple of seconds, I thought the nearby floorstanders were playing, but showroom executive assured me they were the 9.1s. The dynamics and clarity of music was big, compared to the diminutive size of Wharfedale 9.1s. I moved the bass knob to 2 o clock position (12 o clock is neutral) to increase bass to my taste. There was no distortion/boominess in bass and the whole music sounded fuller. The fuller experience continued with remaining tracks varying from soft rock to pop to A.R Rahman class. Tried moving up treble just to observe, but realized things sounded perfect at neutral, so left it at that.

Pros: The whole music appeared complete Bass, vocals, background instruments everything was audible clearly at their respective levels. I was particularly impressed to hear the texture in vocals that I never knew existed during the umpteen times Ive heard these tracks on my headphone. Needless to say speakers sounded good because the Norge amp was giving them good signal.

Cons: None for speakers and amp of this size. I am told 9.1s are babies for this Norge-1000 amp (100w Rms per channel approx), it would have delivered far better with Wharfedale floorstanders.

Price-Note
: Norge-1000 (10.5k approx), 9.1s (12.7k a pair) at this Pune showroom. I believe a lesser sibling of Norge (60 w Rms/ch) will drive 9.1s equally well at total package cost of 16k. The power at showroom went out before I could verify this combination.

Wish list:
- I need punchier bass unbelievable but the 4 sub of my earlier Videocon 2.1 system delivered better punch (at 5k price!). To be fair the sub-enclosure was much larger than 9.1s.
- I need more bite/power in drums/tom-toms

Next plan
- Will audition 9.2s with same amp, hope it attends to my wish list. Cant go for Floorstanders due to budget and space constraints
- The showroom executive opined that at moderate volume levels (aforementioned 80dB level), newer AVRs deliver equally good results comparable to budget stereo amps. (Hey! this is contrary to what I have been reading on this forum!) Will test his opinion by hooking 9.2s at AVRs front channels in stereo direct mode. Maybe I can save on Amp cost.
Update: No the newer "entry-level" AVR's (tried Deonon and Onkyo) are no where as good as Norge-1000.
- Will proceed to aforementioned Setup-2 audition once the Setup-1 is finalised.
Update: I have got both setups now.

Will keep you guys posted on developments.

Regards,

Sonopshere

Hi I am back here...
Subsequent to Next plan above, I have compiled links to subsequent updates from my side
Update-1
My impressions of Norge-1000 with Wharfedale 9.2 >> http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/4405-norge-1000-amp-wharfedale-9-1-a-2.html#post63510

Update-2
My short comparison of "N-1000 + WD 9.2" with "Denon 500+Quad 11L" >> http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/3620-want-info-local-vfm-amp-speaker-2.html#post115181

Update-3 (Dt. 03-Mar-10)
Difference in SQ when using different sources:
(I am considering my Sony headphones as reference for below comparison)
1. Source (LG 356 DVD player): This is my present source. SQ >> Moderate bass, subdued midrange, sparkling acoustic guitar tones /piano tones (little bit above the intended volume, comapred to Headphone sound). Coloured Mettalic-Treble??? YES!!! but sounds like dream when listening to solo acoustic guitar or solo piano tracks.

2. Source (Philips Go Gear MP3 Player): Tried this source out of curiosity. Hooked the headphone out to Norge-1000 Aux-in. SQ>> More warmth in bass, more warmth & detail in midrange, Not so sparkling guitar /Piano tones, but overall warm, cosy listenable sound for a lazy afternoon.

3. Source (above DVDP Digitally fed to Onkyo 5105 co-ax in >> Onkyo Headphone-out* to Norge Aux-in. *(Had to take Headphone-out since this AVR hasn't got Pre-out). SQ >> WOW!!! The Whole music sounds more natural & properly blended. (Natural Bass /mids, /treble). More details... I hear some unheard parts now, the "already heard" ones are not louder, but have more natural tone /pleasant body around them. Since many have opined that entry-level AVR's don't have good DAC's (like Onlyo 5105). I am wondering what would be the SQ if I hook up a good DAC!!!:eek::yahoo:

Update-3 Conclusion: The N-1000+WD 9.2 Combo is very true projector of your source. It can sound mettalic or Warm or Balanced depending on your source. (All this while the Norge didn't seem to add any noise /distortion from its side. Even at 12 o'clock volume position it was dead quite >> I had to crank vol up as philips headphone out level was very low)

Will post more updates as they happen...

Last edited:
Would like to suggest you to try Norge Millenium Bookshelfs too with Norge 1000.

My listening room is 12 x 12 and I put volume knob at clock's 9 position in the night (bass to 2' o clock ) and volume at 11 -12 'O clock position and bass at neutral in the day time.

Cheers

hi,imo a norge with any entry level b/s speaker would be great from a vfm standpoint.try the 2000 mosfet with the 9.1/9.2,the bass is more fullsome albeit with some lack of detail in higher freq(as perceived by some).also,the norge combo of amp with their own bookshelves would also be a great listen.read other posts to get an idea of the same.remember,stick to ur budget and dont get carried away cause for every increment comes more options.its a vast ocean out there!!cheers

Hi Alpha1,
I have auditioned Norge (1000 & 2060) + Wharfedale (9.1 &9.2) at "M/s Silo Media". contact details below:
SILO MEDIA & SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD.
For Wharfedale/Quad/Norge
Off No.3 & 4, 'A' Wing, 1st Floor, Mittal Court,
Opp. Mahesh Lunch Home,
PCTS-478, Rasta Peth, Pune 411011.
Tel: +91-20-65218261, (Mr. Behram-9822066943), (Sudarshan-9623696033)

Mr. Behram and his staff have been very helpful and patient during my tedious auditioning process. I finally bought a 9.2 pair from them today. You should definately check them out.

Regards,

Hi Arunlouie,
I have seen price of approx 10.5k for Norge Millenium in this forum. You can check out their website Norge Audio for contact details and get latest price for Milleniums. I have found Mr. Bajaj very prompt in replying to queries on email.

Regards,

hi sonosphere,

Just one query.
I don't think at silo you have a dedicated CDP.
Norge sounds much better with a dedicated CDP. Try once with CDP. It will sound better.

Thanks,
Vivek

Hi Arunlouie,
I have seen price of approx 10.5k for Norge Millenium in this forum. You can check out their website Norge Audio for contact details and get latest price for Milleniums. I have found Mr. Bajaj very prompt in replying to queries on email.

Regards,

Norge has launched new BS spk costing around 9k.(ht 1ft)

thanks.

did you end up bying the norge 1000 for your tanny f1. what was your experience with an all norge setup (apm + speaker). did it also have "not so great lows"?

Not yet as Mr.Bajaj is working on USB socket on 1000.I m waiting for it.
Did you get your amp & how is it working?

@ sonosphere
Did you try out the Norge-1000 amp with Wharfedale 9.2?
Me too looking for a budget system.
Let me know the feedback. And how much it would cost for this setup? Any other Norge amp that goes well with 9.2?

thanks

Hi Somane,
Yes, I did try 9.2 with Norge-1000. Overall the effect was double than what I felt thru 9.1. This was primarily because significantly better Bass extension (till 40 Hz approx) and louder delivery all across the range.

I would recommend to anybody to go for 9.2 instead of 9.1 by shelling out the approx 3.5k price difference. I bought 9.2 for 14k in May/June 09. And the Norge-1000 was quoted for 10.5k approx. That makes it total of 24.5k considering Jun-09 prices.

Norge-2060 also goes will with 9.2 till moderately loud* volumes (*music-volume when you can half hear what person next to you is talking). This was quoted around 7k in Jun-09.

By the way, do not buy any system without self-audition with your favorite CD's/MP3's, irrespective of rave reviews in media/forums. Some people don't like the "Laid-back sound" of 9.2, and rave about "forward sounding" Polk Audio RTI A4, however I didn't like the A4 and found 9.2's to be clear winners.

Regards,

Hi,

This is Giri from pune, About to begin journey into hifi's...

Trying to have a basic budget of 15k i am trying to buy Norge 2060 amp with Norge md75 bookshelf speakers. Please let me know whether i should alter these combination with anything else with +/- 2k in my budget. also i have another query the remote control comes with Norge controls only volume or all the controls provider like changing input aux/dvd and balance, bass etc..

thanks,
Giri

Hi,

Trying to have a basic budget of 15k i am trying to buy Norge 2060 amp with Norge md75 bookshelf speakers. Please let me know whether i should alter these combination with anything else with +/- 2k in my budget. also i have another query the remote control comes with Norge controls only volume or all the controls provider like changing input aux/dvd and balance, bass etc..

thanks,
Giri

you are perfectly fine with the setup and budget. As a budget system this is complete VFM. Invest in good quality interconnects and speaker wires for the amount saved if any (norge 2060 for 7.5k and BS for around 8.5k).

Stay away from the remote - it only controls volume and with it the tone defeat button goes out of the window.

And what source are you using?

you probably can't get a cheaper amp but do consider the Cambridge Audio S30 speakers. They were quoted at 7,500 to me some tim eback, now they may be a bit more , 8,500 or 9,000 but they're very nice speakers, and others on the forum who have heard it also seem to agree. I have no idea about the Norge speakers, but do check out the CA.

Hi,

thanks,
Giri

Back