Norge 1000 or 2000, which one is better?

cmsajith

Decided to go for either Norge 1000 or 2000. I am not able to do an audition of 2000 in bangalore. Is there anyone in bangalore with Norge 2000 amp? I am confused about to which one to select. Some are telling Norge 1000 is good since it has a balanced sound but with less bass (planning to use with sub, if required). Some are telling Norge 2000 is better because of the bass and almost similar to Norge 1000 except bass. I got the quotation of Rs.9750/- + courier (400/-) for Norge 1000 and 10500/- + courier (400/-) from Shyam Bajaj. He told me that 2000 is a laid back kind of amp and 1000 is a kind of open sound. Please help me in choosing the best. I am going to pair it with Space Audio Floorstanders (TWR-6).

My music taste is like malayalam / tamil / hindi (movies or albums or gazals or melodies) and in english there is nothing specific except hard rock and metal kind of music. Also i have interests in instrumental music.

Decided to go for either Norge 1000 or 2000. I am not able to do an audition of 2000 in bangalore. Is there anyone in bangalore with Norge 2000 amp? I am confused about to which one to select. Some are telling Norge 1000 is good since it has a balanced sound but with less bass (planning to use with sub, if required). Some are telling Norge 2000 is better because of the bass and almost similar to Norge 1000 except bass. I got the quotation of Rs.9750/- + courier (400/-) for Norge 1000 and 10500/- + courier (400/-) from Shyam Bajaj. He told me that 2000 is a laid back kind of amp and 1000 is a kind of open sound. Please help me in choosing the best. I am going to pair it with Space Audio Floorstanders (TWR-6).

My music taste is like malayalam / tamil / hindi (movies or albums or gazals or melodies) and in english there is nothing specific except hard rock and metal kind of music. Also i have interests in instrumental music.

bro this i my 2 paisa....

Norge 1000 is more open - has better soundstage - has great midrange and soft treble and bass is fine upto 60-70% of its volume - after that the bass does not show marked improvement/increase with volume change but though there is no distortion. It is my preference and I would probably opt for it after a home demo sometime this week.

Norge 2000 mofset - similar to Norge 1000 but only thing is midrange is weaker IMHO. Voices seem a little shrill and since i listed to country and jazz a lot - this is a no - no from my side. And its a killer in looks :yahoo: in comparision to the 1000 which is old old old school. Soundstaging is good too.

Both are good amps - only my perspective is that 1000 is better suited for overall music unless Hip hop reigns high on music taste.

thanks supra. I am not concerned about the looks (planning to make a custom cabinet with gold plated connectors), my first preference is always for the sound quality. So what you mean to say is that Norge 1000 is a neutral kind of amp with good mid and less bass at high volumes. Also planning to pair it with a sub if the floorstanders are not sufficient.

Also with a sub, can you do a quick comparison of these amps (esp. Norge 1000) with foreign amps like NAD/CA/Marantz (in which area Norge lacks / better, if any) apart from the VFM factor?

Last edited:
thanks supra. I am not concerned about the looks (planning to make a custom cabinet with gold plated connectors), my first preference is for the sound quality. So what you mean to say is Norge 1000 is a kind of neutral kind of amp. Also planning to pair it with a sub if the floorstanders are not sufficient.

So with a sub, Norge will perform better, right? With a sub, can you do a quick comparison of these amps (esp. Norge 1000) with foreign amps like NAD/CA/Marantz (in which area Norge lacks / better, if any) apart from the VFM factor?

okay norge does not have a dedicate line out for subs but has a R/L line out that can be used to connect a sub. Never tried it actually. For me I guess music (except hip hop etc) can be fairly reproduced by good fllostanders. I am so satisfied with my mission m35 though a B&W and a Dali was topping my list but my wallet was not kind to this proposition.

BTW i felt norge 1000 perform better than a denon 500AE and CA 340 anyday. Never compared it side by side to a Marantz - still waiting to try it out.

BTW why not try asking Mr. Bajaj to use the HW of the 1000 in the case of the 2000 and use gold plated connectors himself - we can pay the difference - I will be interested and can pay upfront if he can do that.

I am planning for a new sub with L/R spk line in. In the worst case we can hook up the LFE out of the AVR (digital in from the source) or the LFE out from the source if it is a DVDP.
I am not so impressed with the Norge 2000 cabinet also. So i thought of DIY way. Anyways we can ask how much he will charge. Also how much he charges for the remote version?

Supra what about comparing Norge with NAD C325 BEE or Azur 540? Are those comparable?

Last edited:
I am planning for a new sub with L/R spk line in. In the worst case we can hook up the LFE out of the AVR (digital in from the source) or the LFE out from the source if it is a DVDP.
I am not so impressed with the Norge 2000 cabinet also. So i thought of DIY way. Anyways we can ask how much he will charge. Also how much he charges for the remote version?

Supra what about comparing Norge with NAD C325 BEE or Azur 540? Are those comparable?

CA540 maybe nad 325 - never.

Do not go for the remote version - the pure audio or tone defeat button goes for a toss.

We can ask how much he charges for the DIY - can you give him a call regardign the change to gold plated connects and casing change - the 2000 mofset casing is acceptable

As per my understanding, the tone defeat is same as keeping the Bass and Treble at the 0 position, isnt it so? Also that buttons are a little bit sturdy. Otherwise we can ask him to keep it inside without connecting to the panel. If possible i will go for some good quality buttons.

Any idea how much he charges extra for the remote version?

C540 and BEE, how much are they different? In which area Norge lacks? Anyways i am going for Norge 1000, just wanted to know what is the difference b/n them.

Last edited:
bro this i my 2 paisa....

Norge 1000 is more open - has better soundstage - has great midrange and soft treble and bass is fine upto 60-70% of its volume - after that the bass does not show marked improvement/increase with volume change but though there is no distortion. It is my preference and I would probably opt for it after a home demo sometime this week.

Norge 2000 mofset - similar to Norge 1000 but only thing is midrange is weaker IMHO. Voices seem a little shrill and since i listed to country and jazz a lot - this is a no - no from my side. And its a killer in looks :yahoo: in comparision to the 1000 which is old old old school. Soundstaging is good too.

Both are good amps - only my perspective is that 1000 is better suited for overall music unless Hip hop reigns high on music taste.

Nice judge & put in words,

cmsajith- norge amps have tone of button.

As per my understanding, the tone defeat is same as keeping the Bass and Treble at the 0 position, isnt it so? Also that buttons are a little bit sturdy. Otherwise we can ask him to keep it inside without connecting to the panel. If possible i will go for different good quality buttons.

Any idea how much he charges extra for the remote version?

C540 and BEE, how much are they different? In which area Norge lacks? Anyways i am going for Norge 1000, just wanted to know what is the difference b/n them.

maybe i like the NAD sound but i always feel NAD givers a better lower end and better imaging than say a CA not saying that a CA is bad. Its just that little extra that somehow defines a NAD - only if it were a bit cheaper

@supra, Oh sorry, that was a wrong question.. "C540 and BEE, how much are they different? In which area Norge lacks? Anyways i am going for Norge 1000, just wanted to know what is the difference b/n them. "

I was asking "Comparing Norge amps with C540 or NAD BEE, in which area Norge amps lack". From your prev mail, NAD is a little more refined towards bass with good details (is the details as same as Norge?). If Norge lacks only in bass then its ok for me since i am planning to connect a sub to this amp. Please clarify..

@Spirovious, I know it is having a tone defeat button. As far as i know that button is similar to set the Bass/Treble pots to 0. Isnt it so? Also those buttons are a little bit sturdy.

Also how much will be extra for the remote (only for volume right?)

Note: Since i am not able to do the audition of these amps, i am asking repeated questions, please bear with me..

Last edited:
hi. Would like to mention few things. The heat sinks on 1000 are on the back & those of mosfet 2000 are inside the cabinet. I dont know How much difference it makes. Second , the remote controls only volume & nothing else. Third , i am not very sure but i think bass out is not variable. So the sub volume will not change with amp volume change. But please get this point clarified from mr bajaj. If it is so then adding a sub may not be a good idea. It really becomes annoying. Better would be to chose stereo speakers with adequate low freq response. I heard NAD 320 BEE with PSB Towers at Lakozy. I think Norge is equally good. Somehow i feel that NAD is overrated. in my audition best was HK 3490.will buy it when i gather enough money.

You must be a bass freak Dr Jaudere..... and punch too!!
anyway HK is too my favorite - it is like Hummer -too beefy!!

Hai All,

I suggest that the Wattage of Amp may be decided on the size of the listening room. NORGE 2060 would suffice if the room is 12x14 feet. Only a good sounding speakers, and Source is reqd. In my set up with NORGE 2060 after replacing my speaker cables with MONSTER I found the soundstage a bit open and the Treble was a bit refined with my 3 way DIY spks.

N Murali.

Harman Kardon is my favorite too.
Meanwhile there is a new Stereo Integrated from H/K
model:Harman Kardon HD990.
2x150w @8ohm 300x2@4ohm and 2.2 capable.(Dual Sub-out).
Check out a review here Harman-Kardon HD990 CD Player review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of CD players and recorders
India JBL
Has anyone auditioned it?
As per the specs I think it can double up as a power amp.
How about this:
"High Instantaneous Current Capability (HCC) : 100 Amp":clapping::yahoo::clapping:

Cheers
Sam

990 is @ Rs. 120000
Yo noticed - it has Digtal Inputs
That means In Built Dac Right??
ANYONE USED THIS AND IT'S DAC FUNCTIONS...?/

Yes but there is another receiver HK 3490
@ Rs 30000 I find it is good
120 W RMs PC,with DIGITAL INPUTS, Radio & Remote

Anyway I feel people are biased against Harman:mad::mad:

Some Specs
Power (FTC) : 120 x 2
THD : <0.07%
Impedance : 8 Ohms
Bandwidth : 20Hz 20kHz
High Instantaneous Current Capability (HCC) : 45 Amps
Bandwidth @ 1W (-3dB) : 10Hz 110kHz
Discrete Amplifier Output Devices : Yes
Dolby Virtual Speaker : Yes
Audio Inputs : 7 (1 on front panel)
Video Inputs : 4 (1 on front panel)
Video Outputs : 2
Digital Audio Inputs : Rear panel:
1x coaxal
1x optical

how are you planning to recabinet the amp? I also need to do with a used amp I am planning to buy.

regards

thanks supra. I am not concerned about the looks (planning to make a custom cabinet with gold plated connectors), my first preference is always for the sound quality. So what you mean to say is that Norge 1000 is a neutral kind of amp with good mid and less bass at high volumes. Also planning to pair it with a sub if the floorstanders are not sufficient.

Also with a sub, can you do a quick comparison of these amps (esp. Norge 1000) with foreign amps like NAD/CA/Marantz (in which area Norge lacks / better, if any) apart from the VFM factor?

hello hemant. I am not a bass freak at all. In fact i am not using a sub with my open baffles. So you can guess. But when the bass out is not variable , if you increase the volume of main amp, the bass disappears & if you reduce volume of the main amp ,bass overpowers the mids & highs.this annoys me. Those amps which have variable bass out (like my yamaha) change the bass output with volume change. By the way , are you from pune?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back