Norge Amp

however i will surly share my opinion in coming days once i receive the amp & start using it :)

As promised, link to my opinion on Norge post :cool: thanks to Mr. Amit Jain (AudiQs, Bangalore) for seamless purchase experience & hope many more to follow. Gentleman with great knowledge & always approachable.

Special thanks to HiFivision FM for all your valuable feedback & suggestions / guidance, really appreciated!

As promised, link to my opinion on Norge post :cool: thanks to Mr. Amit Jain (AudiQs, Bangalore) for seamless purchase experience & hope many more to follow. Gentleman with great knowledge & always approachable.

Special thanks to HiFivision FM for all your valuable feedback & suggestions / guidance, really appreciated!
Thanks for the review. I picked up the same amp recently (albeit used) but haven't got a chance to set it up since I'm on a work trip.
Do go through the below thread by FM @rishiguru

There are a few DIY improvement suggestions by FMs such as addition of a speaker protection circuit, change in capacitors etc. I was curious to know if these improvements have been incorporated on the latest models or not. (above review was in 2013)
Did you observe an audible thump when you switch on the amp?

And btw, what is your source and DAC?

Did you observe an audible thump when you switch on the amp?

Yes I did go though the thread, however decided not to make any mods now.
There is thump only when you switch on the amp, so its advisable to keep the volume knob to zero when you switch it on. Hopefully we should get speaker protection module from Norge itself, i had this conversation with Amit Jain (AudiQ partners with Norge in Bangalore) they are expecting some modules for testing & he mentioned once its ready he will let me know which can be incorporate in future.

And btw, what is your source and DAC?

Recently acquired Sony BDP-S1500 which i'm using to play ACD, other source are Spotify, Amazon Music & YouTube. All these sources are routed via basic DAC into Norge for the time being, however i need to invest in decent DAC (in my bucket-list) going forward to get most of this.

I had seen someone complaining about it on a facebook thread on the Audiophiles of India FB page run by Hifinage. Not sure if it can be ascertained that the amp damaged the speaker...just putting what I saw on the group

From the FB group a guy called John D says.
Norge in my experience had damaged speakers like Jamo, Klipsch ,Polk Audio and many more ....people do not recoment that brand for quality speakers ...their output varies and damages speakers. Suited for Abuja and Delhi brand speakers only ....can be used for Public Address System only....or local made speakers .....which are available at less price
I am using the Norge 2060 UBT hooked with Polk audio Monitor 70 speakers. no issues, no heating problems.

Hopefully we should get speaker protection module from Norge itself, i had this conversation with Amit Jain (AudiQ partners with Norge in Bangalore) they are expecting some modules for testing & he mentioned once its ready he will let me know which can be incorporate in future

Some more insight courtesy AudiQ -

The amps has 4700 mfd 50V X 4 caps. Speaker protection is in works and expecting few test boards next month. If they pass the QC, then they will become standard part of Norge's amp. The amp has separate amp boards for L and R with single Cap bank and toroidal, screenshot attached .E92B496D-D67F-41C8-8809-69A670B0483D.jpeg89456A0E-0CC4-4B5E-9031-AECC0E5A271D.jpeg026D9623-8265-423A-BC44-E30BC11E2EEF.jpeg

Some more insight courtesy AudiQ -

The amps has 4700 mfd 50V X 4 caps. Speaker protection is in works and expecting few test boards next month. If they pass the QC, then they will become standard part of Norge's amp. The amp has separate amp boards for L and R with single Cap bank and toroidal, screenshot attached .View attachment 47198View attachment 47199View attachment 47200
Looks like quite a few things have been improved. Does it still come with a 2 pin plug without ground connection?
And I would also be interested in incorporating the speaker protection circuit in my Norge 1000.

Looks like quite a few things have been improved. Does it still come with a 2 pin plug without ground connection?
And I would also be interested in incorporating the speaker protection circuit in my Norge 1000.
yes its still 2 pin plug. Will surely post an updated once i hear back from them on QC testing.

Would any of the 2060 owners kind enough to upload a sample sound test video?. I searched YouTube and there are few. But the clarity is completely different. So not able to judge. Thanks in advance .

Congrats on Norge purchase. :)

Though I am no expert but my humble suggestion to Norge would be.
1) Separate the two channels heatsink with little larger than half of the current one.
2) See if selector ribbon wires can be shortened. Will need rearrangement to preamp, tone, selection section.
3) If capacitor value for one channel is 4700uf x 2 ; I guess they are sufficient.
4) if avoidable discard leads from Power amp board to transistors.
5) Speaker Protection.
6) Shielded twisted wires for signals and distance between power supply wires and transformer.
7) Ventilation slots below transformer and heatsink on bottom plate.
8) Power cord and speaker terminal distance may be increased. Or hide them under some metals slot shield etc.
9) Avoid screws on front face plate if possible.
10) More sturdy Robust Power switch and selector switch (Though I have not seen them personally)
11) Publish measured specifications. (Basics ones will also do) It helps some audiio enthusiasts. Not specs but Measured Reports.
12) Safety notices on back panel as per standard for Consumer electronics internationally.
13) names, designations and markings are almost touching the edges of back panel bring them closer to the appropriate points etc.
All these will increase costs. There is no reason why company cant have two versions of same model. (Like MKII, Special edition etc. ) I have honestly given suggestion as I want Indian company to grow. Let Norge 2060 be as popular as NAD3020.
Regards

Good morning.
Mind you suggestions are for minor improvements. Correction : Regarding powersupply capacitors it depends on speakers lowest impedance and how amplifier is capable to supply power. So some advice from expert would help.

Also would like to add, I have seen branded reputed hifi amplifiers with cables running on top of transformers, ribbon cables etc. So those who already have Norge 2060 or other amps nothing to worry about.
regards

Would any of the 2060 owners kind enough to upload a sample sound test video?. I searched YouTube and there are few. But the clarity is completely different. So not able to judge. Thanks in advance .

Sound signature of both Norge Concerto Gold 1000 & 2060 is same. Its just 2060UBT version has more features, but bit less on power output. PM me your contact number, will record few clips on my phone & share, if that helps :cool:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back