Norge Amp

I had seen someone complaining about it on a facebook thread on the Audiophiles of India FB page run by Hifinage. Not sure if it can be ascertained that the amp damaged the speaker...just putting what I saw on the group

From the FB group a guy called John D says.
Norge in my experience had damaged speakers like Jamo, Klipsch ,Polk Audio and many more ....people do not recoment that brand for quality speakers ...their output varies and damages speakers. Suited for Abuja and Delhi brand speakers only ....can be used for Public Address System only....or local made speakers .....which are available at less price
You would be surprised to hear Ahuja speakers perform well in an good setup.

Lots of John D(oes) complain about everything on FB about lots of things. FB is not for Audiophile ears in my opinion. It's for generic marketing and self loathing.
Coming to Norge, I have had very good experience with it, and so have a lot of HFV users, And always ranks high up when it comes to recommending stereo amplifiers when budgets are a major restriction. There are people who have been using Norge amplifiers for over 35 years and are perfectly happy with it.

You would be surprised to hear Ahuja speakers perform well in an good setup.

Lots of John D(oes) complain about everything on FB about lots of things. FB is not for Audiophile ears in my opinion. It's for generic marketing and self loathing.
Coming to Norge, I have had very good experience with it, and so have a lot of HFV users, And always ranks high up when it comes to recommending stereo amplifiers when budgets are a major restriction. There are people who have been using Norge amplifiers for over 35 years and are perfectly happy with it.

Absolutely well stated! So many FMs out here including myself have owned Norge amps and /or speakers over the years and have been thoroughly satisfied with their performance. I'm sure Eastern Electronics has faced more than it's fair share of slander over the decades. Poor Mr. Shyam Bajaj would be turning in his grave reading all that unjustifiable senseless drivel posted on FB and elsewhere against his esteemed company! :mad:

Once I had the Norge 2060 and with Mission 33i floors standers. Superb mid range & vocal. Definitely very good for classic Hindi film songs and Hindustani classical. Also Norge amps are forgiving nature to bright speakers. But there is no any clipping protection for speakers. Built & parts quality are very basic.

I’m in the marketing for buying a brand new budget stereo amp for my Pioneer BS22 bookshelves, hence asking the above. Btw does the pre-power amp combo offered by Norge have the same spk issues?

So does not having the spk protection have any impact on the speaker’s well-being?
I’m in the marketing for buying a brand new budget stereo amp for my Pioneer BS22 bookshelves, hence asking the above. Btw does the pre-power amp combo offered by Norge have the same spk issues?

Shouldn't be an issue. Many high end amps do not have these speaker protection ckts (aka speaker muting relay) built in. But if you're still paranoid about hearing that disconcerting thump ask Mr Laxman if he can install that circuit.

@Sandesh fwiw I follow this sop everytime..
Turn on pre-amp wait for it to stabilise.
Then turn on power amp.
Likewise, when shutting down, first turn off power amp and finally the pre-amp!

I've heard the pre-power combo quite a few times at their outlet in Mumbai. right up there with the best! smooth, warm and detailed! Highly recommended.
Last question From me Sean, does it have a lot of bass and low end? I Currently am already using a Onkyo subwoofer with my Pioneer BS22’s and don’t want overkill on the bass. I’m looking for better highs and mids mainly for rock and metal music!

Last question From me Sean, does it have a lot of bass and low end? I Currently am already using a Onkyo subwoofer with my Pioneer BS22’s and don’t want overkill on the bass. I’m looking for better highs and mids mainly for rock and metal music!

Norge amps are known for their decent balance with bass, mids & treble. Nothing accentuated , nothing suppressed! maybe a tad extra on the low end :p

Shouldn't be an issue. Many high end amps do not have these speaker protection ckts (aka speaker muting relay) built in. But if you're still paranoid about hearing that disconcerting thump ask Mr Laxman if he can install that circuit.

I spoke to Mr Laxman (Norge) yesterday, as per them they did try testing it however observed loss of signal & even some instances of voltage drops below required limits... some technical insights which i couldn't process with my limited knowledge i.e. 1 out of 5 :p so to summarise they don't have any plans to install that circuit & he assured there are no issues (i.e. Speaker damage) reported from customer who have been using these amps for many years now. Hope it helps, I decided & took a plunge to buy Norge Concerto Gold 1000 - order is placed, awaiting delivery :cool:

I spoke to Mr Laxman (Norge) yesterday, as per them they did try testing it however observed loss of signal & even some instances of voltage drops below required limits... some technical insights which i couldn't process with my limited knowledge i.e. 1 out of 5 :p so to summarise they don't have any plans to install that circuit & he assured there are no issues (i.e. Speaker damage) reported from customer who have been using these amps for many years now. Hope it helps, I decided & took a plunge to buy Norge Concerto Gold 1000 - order is placed, awaiting delivery :cool:
Main culprit for speaker damage is tweeter getting blown due to amplifier clipping and DC amplification. Depending on speakers if amplifier is powerful usually it gets away from damaging the speakers. because most dont listen to long and loud sessions. And Speaker tweeter having capacitors sometimes helps. But it is usually a good practice to have speaker protection for peace of mind.
Regards

Whats the current price? IIRC the Norge Concerto Gold 1000 had overheating issues due to it's relatively small heatsink, have they fixed it?

One FM attached CPU fan FM's DIY for Norge 1000

Norge Concerto Gold 1000 -> 13500/- + shipping extra. I did reach out to some of the FM who have used this amp in the past & didn't find much bad review on overheating issues, however i will be pairing it with AJ FS52 which is at 6ohms with below mentioned RMS. Hence don't see any reason for these amp to overhead IMO... however i will surly share my opinion in coming days once i receive the amp & start using it :)

RMS Power Range - Speakers65 Watts
Peak Power Handling - Speakers130 Watts

Norge Concerto Gold 1000 -> 13500/- + shipping extra. I did reach out to some of the FM who have used this amp in the past & didn't find much bad review on overheating issues, however i will be pairing it with AJ FS52 which is at 6ohms with below mentioned RMS. Hence don't see any reason for these amp to overhead IMO... however i will surly share my opinion in coming days once i receive the amp & start using it :)

RMS Power Range - Speakers65 Watts
Peak Power Handling - Speakers130 Watts

Congrats. That should be an easy-peasy speaker load! Their amps are designed to handle 4 ohm loads and I have used one such power-hungry 4 ohm FS ( quadral phonologue amun gold mk VI) with the 2060 a few years ago.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back