Norge amplifiers

Well you have other equipment to audition.

Audiocraft (contact Mark)
Cambridge Audio 340C
Sonodyne

In addition if you have a very reliable friend who knows your taste in music, you can ask him to audition the Norge and tell you.

Also see if you can visit Decibel in Teynampet. they have some good equipment and you may be lucky to get a demo piece of a hing end amp. He is also a dealer for NAD and may be able to impress you with one of their BEE amps.

But the most important thing in this game is patience.

Saycheese,

I agree with Venkat. Please be patient in deciding the equipment. By the way, you could have audiotioned Audiocraft on that day because it is very near from Ritchie street. When I listened to Torvin amplifier (80W), it was good. However, the sound should be pleasing to you and simply you cannot decide by others' opinion. I would say Audiocraft products are value for money but the look and feel, finish, they have to improve.

Initially, I was about to buy Torvin (80+80 W RMS amplifier and bookshelf speakers) for the price of 20K. Then my colleague advised me to be patient and we went to a dealer in Ritchie street to listen audiocraft 30W RMS amplifier (Rs. 3200; if you buy directly from audiocraft it is Rs. 2700). The demo was not okay for me and still had the idea of buying Torvin. Then we went to Audiocraft office in Pudupet which is near from Ritchie street. Mr. Murugesan (Mark) gave a demo of all the amplifiers and speakers with patience. The amplifier ranges are 30W, 50W, 100W, and 200W and speaker ranges are bookshelf, mini floorstanders (8" drivers), 12" driver floorstanders etc.

Here I have completely changed my mind. I was initially thinking of 30W amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers but decided to buy 100W and 3-way floorstanders. The floorstanders they had at that time are not okay for me in terms of sound and appearance. I cannot find out the technical reason for the sound problem but I am not happy with that towers. Then we left the showroom. After two days, Murugesan called me and agreed that some minor problems in the crossover and that was rectified. Then I asked for some change in the cabinet appearance and made the order. You know what price I gave for the system; only 13.5K. I think because they don't spend much for advertisement or web presence, they are able to give this price. Within a week, my system got ready and I started enjoying music. As another member suggested me, I am going to use OFC cables soon. Now I am using the normal cable that came with the system.

This is how I decided my audio setup. The story is definitely boring to you but I just wanted to share my experience. So please take sufficient time and have demo of the equipments that Venkat suggested. You can also listen to my setup if you find time. I recommend Audiocraft because of the reason that it is my first HiFi system; but you can decide according to your taste.

In my opinion, when deciding a AV setup, it is better our ears open and eyes shut :) What do you say?

Happy hunting.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Guys auditioned some torvin equipments and I'm not satisfied with its performance..so what to do.? :confused:

I have heard about how chinese hifi is out gunning everything in audio space...If you can, get the equipment from china...names like Shanling, Dussun, Shengya are very popular in USA and Europe

Muthu & Venkat what about NAD C325BEE ?? Cha Indian do you know any dealers in Chennai for the chinese amps that you have specified :confused:

Hi SayCheese,

Unfortunately, nobody sells High end hifi equipemnt form china. If you happen to go to Hong Kong, I can tell your where to find. Importing is very expensive affair .

Muthu & Venkat what about NAD C325BEE ?? Cha Indian do you know any dealers in Chennai for the chinese amps that you have specified :confused:

SayCheese, generally you cannot go wrong with a NAD. Read the specs and reviews of the NAD 325BEE at

NAD Electronics :: C325BEE Stereo Integrated Amplifier : Reviews & Awards

I have heard the NAD many times, and I have always liked the sound. It may not, as compared to other amps, be absolutely transparent, as it tends to push the low frequencies forward. But this is no way a black mark and is more a point of personal preference.

One of NAD's best feature is its lack of what is called 'audio fatigue'. When you hear music for a long time on many amps, you tend to get tired and move away. You can listen to a NAD for hours together and keep enjoying the music.

I would strongly suggest you take a personal audition of the NAD 325BEE. Remember to take your CDs with you.

BTW, just for your information, an old NAD amplifier called the 3020 has attained the status of a legend. Most of the modern NAD amplifiers are based on the same design.

For budget system, some of the better international brands are NAD, Cambridge Audio, and Rotel (a little more expensive). Marantz's CD Player and Amp are also supposed to be very good, but they will cost somewhere around 20,000 each.

With no offense to Cha Indian, I will keep away from Chinese products. Yes there are a few that have got good reputation such as the Oppo Digital, but these are designed by US or European companies, and just manufactured in China to very exacting standards. I am not sure the Chinese have the capability to design a good audio circuit, but I am pretty sure we Indians are better at it.

Saycheese this amp u mention is a very average integrated. Nothing special at all. Prefer the older c 320 BEE amp. Though small in power was a cleaner sounding amp IMO. Sadly over the years have been thru lots of Nad/marantz/rotel amps and they are all average performers. Look for some pre owned gear to stretch what u get for the money.

Last edited:
Saycheese,

I agree with Venkat. Please be patient in deciding the equipment. By the way, you could have audiotioned Audiocraft on that day because it is very near from Ritchie street. When I listened to Torvin amplifier (80W), it was good. However, the sound should be pleasing to you and simply you cannot decide by others' opinion. I would say Audiocraft products are value for money but the look and feel, finish, they have to improve.

Initially, I was about to buy Torvin (80+80 W RMS amplifier and bookshelf speakers) for the price of 20K. Then my colleague advised me to be patient and we went to a dealer in Ritchie street to listen audiocraft 30W RMS amplifier (Rs. 3200; if you buy directly from audiocraft it is Rs. 2700). The demo was not okay for me and still had the idea of buying Torvin. Then we went to Audiocraft office in Pudupet which is near from Ritchie street. Mr. Murugesan (Mark) gave a demo of all the amplifiers and speakers with patience. The amplifier ranges are 30W, 50W, 100W, and 200W and speaker ranges are bookshelf, mini floorstanders (8" drivers), 12" driver floorstanders etc.

Here I have completely changed my mind. I was initially thinking of 30W amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers but decided to buy 100W and 3-way floorstanders. The floorstanders they had at that time are not okay for me in terms of sound and appearance. I cannot find out the technical reason for the sound problem but I am not happy with that towers. Then we left the showroom. After two days, Murugesan called me and agreed that some minor problems in the crossover and that was rectified. Then I asked for some change in the cabinet appearance and made the order. You know what price I gave for the system; only 13.5K. I think because they don't spend much for advertisement or web presence, they are able to give this price. Within a week, my system got ready and I started enjoying music. As another member suggested me, I am going to use OFC cables soon. Now I am using the normal cable that came with the system.

This is how I decided my audio setup. The story is definitely boring to you but I just wanted to share my experience. So please take sufficient time and have demo of the equipments that Venkat suggested. You can also listen to my setup if you find time. I recommend Audiocraft because of the reason that it is my first HiFi system; but you can decide according to your taste.

In my opinion, when deciding a AV setup, it is better our ears open and eyes shut :) What do you say?

Happy hunting.

Regards,
Muthusami. S
Saycheese, Muthusami has made a good & friendly offer.
I think a home audition is the best bec its in an actual home environment.
Take along your fav CDs, listen & decide.

Finally decided to buy TM 2250 from Torvin..As my current speaker configuration won't support..now I'm on a hunt for perfect sounding speakers to match TM 2250. Also I have a plan to visit Mumbai this weekend..there I can check Norge..I mailed the Norge guy several times but no reply from him..So if I'm going with 2250 what are the available speaker combinations ?

Last edited:
Finally decided to buy TM 2250 from Torvin..As my current speaker configuration won't support..now I'm on a hunt for perfect sounding speakers to match TM 2250. Also I have a plan to visit Mumbai this weekend..there I can check Norge..I mailed the Norge guy several times but no reply from him..So if I'm going with 2250 what are the available speaker combinations ?

Can you give us the specs of the TM 2250, Torvin himself should be able to suggest matching speakers. Why is he not doing that? He represents a number of speakers in addition to his own.

If you have decided on the Torvin, it may be better not to audition the Norge. If you are yet in two minds, please do listen to the Norge. We can then decide the speakers. Norge is supposed to have some good bookshelf speakers that may go well with his amp.

Cheers

saycheese,

I have been following this thread and pardon me for saying so - I think you are trying to buy an amp that is affordable and has some brand name without trusting your ears. you had mentioned earlier that you didnt like the torvin sound - but it looks like you are going to buy one now? what happened?
like many others in this thread, i would also very much recommend that you "listen" to your favourite music on as many amps as possible and then make up your mind. dont get rushed into buying something, especially on the advice of others. Sure - advice is good as far as warranty support or technical details is concerned, but not on sound quality. as someone else said, it is like the taste of food.
just my two bits - please do take it in the right spirit.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back