Norge Concerto Gold 1000 MD75/Millenium speakers

GOLLUM

All,

Provided below is a summarized description of my current situation, request the experts to please go through it and suggest a solution.If this confused you please let me know and I will repost...

My room is 12 * 10 and I currently have a JVC micro mini component system UX T550 (amp rating is 10 W x 2) , 8 cm cone full range speakers ,
I have used it for the last 9 years and its a baby , crisp clear sound ,just enough bass ( more on that later) and a rock solid performance for its category.

The primary reason I am now looking out for a amp \ speaker setup is I need the "wow" factor from my sound now , more larger, real-life like and bigger sound( if lets say I need to pump the volume for a in house party if needed or even just to show-off [just kidding...])

I also listen to mp3's (cause they are cheaper to buy than pure audio cd's).I also plan to use this for movies and I am ok on losing out on all the frills that come in with a 5.1 setup

I have heard ( auditioned is 2 big a word for me) the combination of Norge Concerto Gold 1000 and MD 75 speakers (and liked them). I have also read about the new Millenium speakers and plan to hear it soon along with the concerto amplifier shortly.

I have also listened to the cambridge 340 \ 540 WharfDale 9.1 and liked the latter combination. My budget hovers around 30k

All was well untill I started reading this forum , it helped yes definitely but I am also confused now (very) as to which amp \ speaker combo should I go in for.

the confusion over amps is whether it should be concerto gold or 2060 ( both seem to be popular ) , or any other which come close to a similar budget , I think the NAD'S and the Marantz should be quite expensive compared to Norge ( keeping aside the quality comparision)

the confusion over the speakers( all bookshelf) is whether to for the MD 75 / Millenium speakers or the wharfdale 9.1 ( my budget for speakers is max 14 currently , but this can change again any good speakers in this range)

I am having difficulty in selecting the proper amp speaker config. to be more specific would be concerto gold 1000 would go better with a wharfdale or its own millenium set of speakers??

Last but not the least the JVC had a bass boost button which always had to be kept on throughout to maintain optimum sound quality. I have somehow have this lingering feeling that as long as the source quality is great the amps and speakers would sound good but the moment I switch to lets an mp3 it would amplify the bad "noise" as well or would simply sound bad?Is this a valid concern in the first place ?

Having said all that and since I dont probably qualify as a true blooded audiophile would a sony \ panasonic kind of hifi system would be the correct choice for me?

If somebody can please answer this I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks...

Hai Gollum,

Since you are in Mumbai you can audition NORGE and decide. I suggest you can take NORGE 2060 with Millineum Spks for the room size mentioned. You can also consider Wharfedale 9.2( avoid 9.1) which is very matching with 2060. For Source consider Cambridge Audio DVD99. Buy good 16 AWG speaker cables and for Interconnects take Monster from MX Electronics or Profigold (refer forum threads). The whole set-up must be within 30K, and sound pretty good.

Hope this helps,

N.Murali.

no better advice than the one given above
in 20k youll have a norge 1000 and mr bajas's speakers too

spend the rest of a good source player ( i find thats most imporant)
youll have 10k left over add a little to that and you can get a good CDP with mp3 functionality

Hai Gollum,

Since you are in Mumbai you can audition NORGE and decide. I suggest you can take NORGE 2060 with Millineum Spks for the room size mentioned. You can also consider Wharfedale 9.2( avoid 9.1) which is very matching with 2060. For Source consider Cambridge Audio DVD99. Buy good 16 AWG speaker cables and for Interconnects take Monster from MX Electronics or Profigold (refer forum threads). The whole set-up must be within 30K, and sound pretty good.

Hope this helps,

N.Murali.

Why do you say one should avoid 9.1?

You can't go wrong with the Norge pair. Buy a budget CD player and a decent set of interconnects & you will love the sound.

Why do you say one should avoid 9.1?

I am assuming Murali said so bcos 9.2 has better Bass and GOllum is looking for a larger than life system :)

My suggestion would be to go for Gold 1000 has they have a better power and also they are forward sounding speakers and will also go well with party atmosphere than the 2060

Hai Gollum,

Hope this helps,

N.Murali.

I heard Norge 2060 + Wharfedale 9.2 combination last saturday. They sounded good. Clear midrange and tight bass. Bigger soundstage. My vote for this combination.

I heard Norge 2060 + Wharfedale 9.2 combination last saturday. They sounded good. Clear midrange and tight bass. Bigger soundstage. My vote for this combination.

Rams: Where did you hear this? I am looking to hear the same combination.

GOllum: Sorry for hijacking the thread just wanted to know so it will help me compare GOld 1000 and 2060

Hai all,

My suggestion for 2060 was due to room size of 10x12, else I feel Concert gold or Ref 2000 from NORGE will always be better and I asked to avoid WH 9.1 due to less bass IMHO 9.2 has good bass(or better). Also CA DVD99 costs about 13500/- (heard somewhere) and have auditioned it and compared to OPPO it sounded better.

N.Murali

Thanks everybody for helping me out so far...

Murli,
From your posts it seems that 2060 and 1000 seem similar in performance , the only diff. seems to be in the RMS ( I dont mind shelling out a bit more if its scalable in the long run...)

So now its a toss up between millenium\(MD 75) and Wharedale 9.2 is that correct?

Can somebody also clear my doubt about the bass boss query ( I hate to ask this in this forum but since I listen to mp3 too for me it is an important factor to consider! , thanks in advance.

My current sources are a Phillips DVD player for movies and mp3 and a Phillips CD 165 model for audio cd's

Warm Regards
Gollum

Rams: Where did you hear this? I am looking to hear the same combination.

GOllum: Sorry for hijacking the thread just wanted to know so it will help me compare GOld 1000 and 2060

Norge 2060 Amp i already bought from Mr. SHyam bajaj of Eastern electronics, Mumbai. So i carried the amp. I heard the combination 9.2 + 2060in Grandcinema, Kodambakkam, Chennai. I have already booked wharfie 9.2. Its arrving this weekend!!. Contact Mr. Ajmal @grandcinema. Grand Cinema- Home Theater/hi-fi.

For a detailed review of my so-called audition please see my thread. In advanced search link search for rams1977 and you will find it.

Norge 2060 Amp i already bought from Mr. SHyam bajaj of Eastern electronics, Mumbai. So i carried the amp. I heard the combination 9.2 + 2060in Grandcinema, Kodambakkam, Chennai. I have already booked wharfie 9.2. Its arrving this weekend!!. Contact Mr. Ajmal @grandcinema. Grand Cinema- Home Theater/hi-fi.

For a detailed review of my so-called audition please see my thread. In advanced search link search for rams1977 and you will find it.

Once you have the setup, can I get a demo if you don't mind :)

Dear Bullram
I don't mind at all. In fact i would be happy to show you. But im sure u will agree the foll factors are important:
1. Dedicated cdp source
2. Proper placements
3. Good interconnects.

Right now my setup would lack all these listed above. i have a crap dvd player. I will go for the cdps etc some time in future not immediately. If you are still interested PM to me. i can help you once the setup is ready.

Dear Bullram
I don't mind at all. In fact i would be happy to show you. But im sure u will agree the foll factors are important:
1. Dedicated cdp source
2. Proper placements
3. Good interconnects.

Right now my setup would lack all these listed above. i have a crap dvd player. I will go for the cdps etc some time in future not immediately. If you are still interested PM to me. i can help you once the setup is ready.

No problem at all. I can get my WD TV and connect them to the Norge and see if the sound stage is different from a DVDp

I heard the concerto gold with the Md 75 and Millenium speakers, then I tried the same combo with norge 2060.

I have bought the norge 2060 and Millenium speakers. somehow I felt the norge 2060 jelled better than the Concerto gold 1000.

I heard the concerto gold with the Md 75 and Millenium speakers, then I tried the same combo with norge 2060.

I have bought the norge 2060 and Millenium speakers. somehow I felt the norge 2060 jelled better than the Concerto gold 1000.

Hi Gollum,

Did you also get a chance to hear Norge Symphony Speakers ?

Can you please share your thought on why did you choose norge millenium speakers?

Also how much did they cost you...?

Hai Gollum,

Pl post a detailed report on the performance.

N.Murali

Hai Gollum,

Pl post a detailed report on the performance.

N.Murali

I was there with Gollum for the Norge audition. We heard the Concerto Gold and 2060 amplifiers and mixed the MD 75 and Millenium speakers with both amps

Impressions [to my ears]:

Concerto Gold & 2060 with the MD 75 - shrill highs, too forward and adequate lows.

2060 with the Millenium - shrillness gone, slightly laidback and deeper lows than above combo. Like Gollum said - they jelled well. For the price they are a bargain.

Now, we heard this is in a small space within Mr. Bajaj's assembly unit and the space was quite bare with ceramic tiles on the floor, an aluminium partition, no furnishings and, rightly so, the combos might/will sound quite different in Gollums room so, Mr. Bajaj will send across to Gollums home, both the MD 75 and Millenium speakers - Gollum will hear both the combos again - and to his ears, and in his room, if the 2060 with the MD 75 sounds good - he will buy that combo - like all hi-fi auditions should be done - @ HOME in the listening area.

Last edited:
I am expecting the pair/s of speakers in a couple of days. I will update the forum accordingly.

PS: Rajat to answer your query we did not hear the symphony speakers.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back