Norge Concerto Gold or Norge Mosfet 2000

the only decent FS that performs like a good bookshelf speaker is the Tannoy Mercury V4( 32k delivered to your home ).

rgds,
mpw

Planning to purchase either "Norge MOSFET Reference 2000 Stereo Amplifier" or "Norge Concerto Gold 1000 amplifier" - don't know which one to choose actually.

As I've budget constrain, I'm opting Yamaha NS-8390 Floor-standing Speakers (~15K in Hyderabad).

Will the speakers suit to either of the Amplifiers?

i'd suggest the DNM A-777 amp. monster power/rugged/clean aesthetics/VFM!

Hey cifrancis, how are you? Your comment reminds me of our audition of Norge amps at the Mahim factory, and we rated pre-power > 2060 > 1000.
I have modified the pre amp a lot, opamps change and adding B1 and SSP, I am very much satisfied with the purchase. Btw, did you follow up with Mr Bajaj about the tube amp he was making?

Regards,
Sann

Yamaha NS8390 is an insult to the name yamaha and should be tossed off a bridge on railways as train is travelling at 100 kph. :p
You're better off getting a used pair of speakers from someone.

@OP pingks
I wholeheartedly agree with the first part of FM Corelement's quote above though I must say that its too much effort to carry those Yams into a train and then chuck them out at 100 kmph.Not worth the trouble:D:D

Besides, the act might actually hurt someone.:p:p

If I had got these for free (I would never ever buy them), I would gift them to someone who owns a joint titled "Chaurasia Paan Bhandaar" or likewise. Much less effort, Much more effect, No?:lol:;):cool:

As regards the second part of the quote, I personally feel that speakers are best bought new unless :-
(a) one plans to upgrade/change soon
(b) one gets a GREAT deal at a throwaway price.
(c) one is sure of the speaker's and previous owner's antecedents including how old they are (some speaker surrounds stiffen with age especially foam ones) and how they have been used (or abused).

I would have loved to let you have my Mission M34i pair for that amount but sadly, I don't intend to let go of these
(and my other two Lithos pairs) for some time yet ie till I rake in (read save) some dough and get some time to pursue some long overdue speaker projects.

Do have a look here, though
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/17856-how-tighten-bass-mission-m34i-floorstanders.html

Nevertheless, don't lose heart altogether as there are many FMs here whose word can be taken as
the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. So help 'YOU' God.
:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Also, avoid buying without audition and inspection unless you are very sure that its OK to buy otherwise, which sometimes, as an exception may be appropriate.

HTH
Regards

Last edited:
Oh, many thanks to ALL, who're really helping me in choosing the right product.

At first, I had contact Mr.Dilip Bajaj of DNM. Though he had given me the price of A777 @ 13500/- (they're not dealing with any FS now), he's suggested A8080U for ~11K with their SCS-808 Bookshelfs for 9K.

I've also asked Mr.Shyam Bajaj of Norge. His quote for Norge 1000 Gold is 13.5K and TWR 125 MK III @ 21K.

Both're unable to provide me any demo facility in Hyderabad. And without satisfying my ears, I cannot take chances. Can someone help me in this?

Seems the FS speakers are really heavy to my pocket (if not the Yamaha NS8390 - they're available at ~14K in Hypercity). In this case, will the Bookshelf speakers are really good enough for my 18'*11' living room? I think, I need to spend ~10-15K for a good model. Do I really?

Last edited:
For 18' x 11 ' a Bookshelf speaker with 6.5" driver will be fine.

I have used Norge 1000+ Millenium bookshelf in 20 x 12 room.

Norge 1000 has got only 3 analog inputs, means at a time you can connect 3 source devices only.

Oh, many thanks to ALL, who're really helping me in choosing the right product.

At first, I had contact Mr.Dilip Bajaj of DNM. Though he had given me the price of A777 @ 13500/- (they're not dealing with any FS now), he's suggested A8080U for ~11K with their SCS-808 Bookshelfs for 9K.

I've also asked Mr.Shyam Bajaj of Norge. His quote for Norge 1000 Gold is 13.5K and TWR 125 MK III @ 21K.

Both're unable to provide me any demo facility in Hyderabad. And without satisfying my ears, I cannot take chances. Can someone help me in this?

Seems the FS speakers are really heavy to my pocket (if not the Yamaha NS8390 - they're available at ~14K in Hypercity). In this case, will the Bookshelf speakers are really good enough for my 18'*11' living room? I think, I need to spend ~10-15K for a good model. Do I really?

i'd suggest 3 combos - 1) dnm a-777 + norge towers
2) norge pre + norge power + norge towers
3) telome 8400i + telome bt300 towers

you do the math on the pricing...

cheers

Yeah,
The first thing is to dump the interest on Yamaha speakers -- done.
Second, the combo - DNM A-777 and Norge Towers seems to be good -- need to arrange only the cash, and will do in a couple of days (have to drag, no choice).

Thanks to all...

Yeah,
The first thing is to dump the interest on Yamaha speakers -- done.
Second, the combo - DNM A-777 and Norge Towers seems to be good -- need to arrange only the cash, and will do in a couple of days (have to drag, no choice).

Thanks to all...

yamaha for speakers? :eek: lol don't even go there!

be warned, those norge towers are 4 ohms, although the dnm a-777 can handle them well its better to choose the norge pre+power combo for the sake of brand "compatibility" !

Last edited:
Hi! pngks!
did you finally get the norge + dnm combo....how is it ? 'm planning to go for the norge ref 2000 Intg amp + Norge mkiii floor standers ... do let me know ...

d/a
joined teh forum today....do advise !!!

regds

Pingks, did you come to a decision? I would strongly advise against buying any combo without first auditioning it yourself or getting a strong recommendation in favor of the combo from HFV members.

I have the Norge 1000 and had decided on that amp based on forum feedback. It is my opinion that the 1000 appeals to a wider audience than the 2000 which is supposed to be much more laid back. I haven't heard the 2000, so cannot comment beyond that.

As for speakers, the general consensus is that Norge's own bookshelves or the Wharfedale diamond series make an excellent combo with the Norge amps. I wanted floor standers and, on an impulse, bought Mordaunt Short Carnivals online. Luckily the purchase turned out ok and I am happy with the combo. But if were to do it again, I probably wouldn't make a blind purchase.

Cheers.

Between Norge Concerto Gold and Norge Mosfet 2000 Norge Concerto Gold is much better as it is quite clear in all departments. In Norge Mosfet 2000 the bass is on the higher side killing the mids and the highs. But off all the amps in the norge family 2060 is the best.

Norge 2060 and concerto gold has the same circuit only the latter has a more robust power supply with a bigger toroidal transformer.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back