Not able to hear TV audio through speaker

When you attach the set top box to the TV, the set top box becomes source and the TV becomes a passive device. It will not transmit the audio through ARC channel.
This is not true, audio from any source connected to the TV shall be passed on via ARC from TV to AVR. Quite often, we encounter issues due to not so great implementation of handshake mechanism by device manufacturers.

Hi.I bought new HDMI cable belink but same issue. I think its not HDMI cable issue.let me tell you
1.My D2h/Set top box not attached to AVR,its attached to TV with HDMI cable(HDMI3 slot)
2.When i detach the D2h HDMI cable from TV then the CEC works and TV sound comes from AVR speaker.also see AVR name on TV.
3.But again when i attached D2h HDMI cable to TV then i face the same issue.

I dont want to attache D2h HDMI cable to AVR directly as family members are not comfortable to operate AVR

is there any solution
Both your TV and AVR should have ARC HDMI support in order to get sound from TV through HDMI.
I think your Tv may not have Arc hdmi support ?.
Also make sure you are connecting correct (ARC HDMI out) port from your AVR to TV HDMI (Arc enabled port).. So it can transport sound from TV to AVR.
Alternatively , You can use optical (SPDIF) output from tv to your AVR. I am using SPIDIF cable from my tv to my old AVR which does not have even hdmi support. It works fine for all connected sources to TV.

Last edited:
This is not true, audio from any source connected to the TV shall be passed on via ARC from TV to AVR. Quite often, we encounter issues due to not so great implementation of handshake mechanism by device manufacturers.
Look at the situation when you use an ARC.

1. You are using and choosing HDMI 1 in both TV and AVR to enable the ARC.
2. When you use a external source, you are connecting it to HMDI 2 in the TV. On the TV, you choose HDMI 2 to get the signal. On the TV, HDMI 1 is not enabled. How will you now get the signal to the AVR?

Look at the situation when you use an ARC.

1. You are using and choosing HDMI 1 in both TV and AVR to enable the ARC.
2. When you use a external source, you are connecting it to HMDI 2 in the TV. On the TV, you choose HDMI 2 to get the signal. On the TV, HDMI 1 is not enabled. How will you now get the signal to the AVR?
Hi.ARC should Do it as the purpose of ARC to carry sound to AVR

Let me try what you both are saying on my system. In my mind it is illogical.
Check your AVR manual. It would have been mentioned what is ARC hdmi port & the purpose. && how to connect.

Below is the one from my AVR manual.

1600263256964.png

Last edited:
As I suspected, it did not work.

I connected my RPi4 to HDMI 3 in the TV. When I played a movie, there was no sound in the AVR though the AVR was connected to TV Audio channel that is assigned to get sound from the TV through ARC.

Let me do some more research and see.

As I suspected, it did not work....Let me do some more research and see.
Venkat - there are some options to be enabled in AVR as well, check the AVR manual also.
Warning - this depends on how well/badly your TV, AVR manufacturers have implemented HDMI CEC, you need to do some configuration charges, trial and error turbulations, bang your head against the TV/AVR, figure out work-arounds (every day affair with my TV Samsung RU7470 and AVR Denon 3600) etc. The protocol works though, it is only the implementation that is an issue.

Some TVs may do it right.
I have ChromeCast connected directly to TV and use ARC for audio to AVR.
<snip>
My bad. It does not work on my TV too.
Realized that I have also connected an optical cable between TV and AVR.
Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
Raghu

Venkat - there are some options to be enabled in AVR as well, check the AVR manual also.
Warning - this depends on how well/badly your TV, AVR manufacturers have implemented HDMI CEC, you need to do some configuration charges, trial and error turbulations, bang your head against the TV/AVR, figure out work-arounds (every day affair with my TV Samsung RU7470 and AVR Denon 3600) etc. The protocol works though, it is only the implementation that is an issue.
As I said in my post, I will continue to do some more research. If I find what the way to enable the protocol, I will post it here.

One thing I am sure of electronics and their code (at least from well known manufacturers) is that they work or don't work. If they work it will be possible to enable it across all models. The CEC implementation on Marantz should be good. It is an old technology. I have set up my TV/AVR the way I want it and they work perfectly every time I switch them on. No banging heads and all.

When I set up my CEC and ARC I made some stupid mistakes. Once I corrected that, it work perfectly. Similarly, when I set up my RPi4 to play 4K, it did not work the first time. Then I realized it needed a reboot. Once I did that, it plays 4K flawlessly through the Marantz.

As I said before, I have to understand the logic of this connection.

Cheers

My bad. It does not work on my TV too.
Realized that I have also connected an optical cable between TV and AVR.
Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
Raghu

This may be a good option for the OP. Prashanth, see if you can connect a optical cable between the TV and the AVR. You should then be able to get the sound from the set top box into the AVR. When you family is playing, simply switch off the AVR.

I did setup for my Marantz NR 1509 this friday. I was also not getting sound from my tv (Vu 55QDV), had connected hdmi to arc port in both tv and avr, tried tinkering with all the settings in tv menu but no output. Also my avr was not detected as cec device. Then i tried assigning hdmi under input assign settings- output arc hdmi was not selected there, assigned output hdmi hdmi 5 as default for tv audio and then i received sound from tv. Now the input select under input settings is showing arc. Sorry not able to post pictures here, it says file too large.
Now my avr is being detected by tv as cec device and avr automatically switch on/off with tv.

This may be a good option for the OP. Prashanth, see if you can connect a optical cable between the TV and the AVR. You should then be able to get the sound from the set top box into the AVR. When you family is playing, simply switch off the AVR.
Hey.i did that and I get sound from AVR speakers.but TV speakers are also sounding.for that I need to turn down tv volume to 1.but this is a work around and also cec is not working.
ARC should work.lets hope we get solution for same

I did setup for my Marantz NR 1509 this friday. I was also not getting sound from my tv (Vu 55QDV), had connected hdmi to arc port in both tv and avr, tried tinkering with all the settings in tv menu but no output. Also my avr was not detected as cec device. Then i tried assigning hdmi under input assign settings- output arc hdmi was not selected there, assigned output hdmi hdmi 5 as default for tv audio and then i received sound from tv. Now the input select under input settings is showing arc. Sorry not able to post pictures here, it says file too large.
Now my avr is being detected by tv as cec device and avr automatically switch on/off with tv.
Hi can you share step by step how you did it.
Also HDMi port wise connections

Here is what I did.

I read a bit and tried multiple permutations and combinations with the TCL/Marantz combination.

In theory, proper implementation of ARC will mean that any input to the TV, the audio will be sent to the AVR. The assumption here is that the TV acts as a switch for audio from all input channels including HDMI.

1. On the AVR, I set the input to TV Audio that is set to ARC HDMI(1). The TV also was set to HDMI 1.

2. I connected the RPi4 to the HDMI 3 of the TV, and played a video. I set the TV to HDMI 3. There was no sound sent to the AVR. I switched the TV sound of 'off'. Even then, the sound was not sent to the AVR.

3. I connected a pen drive containing some music. With the TV set back to HDMI 1, I chose the USB drive and played some music. The audio was relayed to the AVR.

4. I used a pen drive with some video. The sound was passed to the AVR, but with some caveats. In PCM mode, the TV played the same sound on all channels with enhanced gain. In Auto and Pass Through mode, the TV passed the audio in raw format for processing, though with very low gain. I could not enhance the gain. This was because using the TV's volume control was actually increasing or decreasing the volume on the AVR (remember CEC?).

5. With streaming channels the TV worked properly.

My conclusions: Though ARC is supposed to send all audio to the AVR, implementation differs from TV to TV. The TCL does not act as a switch for HDMI channels.

If someone has the patience, please do try these on a non-TCL TV and let us know if it works. Remember, there must be no other connection between the TV and AVR other than HDMI.

BTW, Prashanth, I am glad your optical cable worked. You should simply switch the TV's audio to mute. Remember, with an optical cable, your CEC/ARC will not work. You have to control the TV and AVR separately.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back