Not sitting in the center of 5.1 system

Whip

I want to setup a 5.1 surround sound system for gaming but my desk is not in the center of the room. Its placed in one of the corners, my back against the wall. See the attachment to see what I mean. If I setup the speakers as shown in red boxes, will I get a realistic surround sound? With gaming, its important to know where the sound is coming from. I'm not familiar with such systems so my question is, can software account for my position in the room and adjust the sound output? Or is it not an issue at all?

Or should I just get a 3.1 system and set it up as shown with blue boxes?

Cheers

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 18
5.1 with sound calibration at your seating area should get you a decent enough sound and effects.

What are the apx dimensions of the room? The seating arrangement is tricky, you might need to try and experiment with different speaker positions.
AV receivers do come with automatic calibration tools (YPAO for Yamaha).

I want to setup a 5.1 surround sound system for gaming but my desk is not in the center of the room. Its placed in one of the corners, my back against the wall. See the attachment to see what I mean. If I setup the speakers as shown in red boxes, will I get a realistic surround sound? With gaming, its important to know where the sound is coming from. I'm not familiar with such systems so my question is, can software account for my position in the room and adjust the sound output? Or is it not an issue at all?

Cheers
That is a very tricky placement. Theoretically yes an Auto setup system will try its best to adjust the levels and the delays to get the right sound, however, the question would be whether that will sound good or not.

I would suggest getting satellite speakers on stands and placing them around you. That should give you the best possible listening experience.

An old zreviews video for reference:
Z Review - Near-Field Surround Sound

MaSh

Cheers
Hi, tricky indeed.
What are the 1. room dimensions, 2. desk size, and distance from seat to closest wall on either side?
Regards

Cheers

Usually auto calibration would do the needful and adjust the levels so that you get an immersive experience. This is indeed an odd position.

IMHO to enjoy a fulfilling experience a 2.1 system with pseudo surround effects should fulfill your requirements. An example of such a system was Bose Lifestyle 235. After that many brands / models were launched.

Possibly a decent Sound bar which can deliver 5.1 effects or better should suit your purpose.

Advisable to audition such systems before taking the plunge.

I have similar problem as yours. My TV and LCR are placed in one of the corners of the room. See attached.
I have a 5.1 setup and pretty happy with the sound given the compromises i had to make.
Color codes:
red: TV
blue: 5.1 speakers
green: couch/sofa
yellow: primary listening position

With your setup, i dont think room eq/calibration will help to achieve a surround sound stage.
If your requirement is only for gaming then i would suggest 3.1 setup(speakers or soundbar) or a 5.1 headphone.
Soundbars that do virtual 5.1 surround sound wont help either since your listening position to the soundbar will only be a couple of feet.

Attachments

• HT layout.jpg
    HT layout.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 9
I have similar problem as yours. My TV and LCR are placed in one of the corners of the room. See attached.
I have a 5.1 setup and pretty happy with the sound given the compromises i had to make.
Color codes:
red: TV
blue: 5.1 speakers
green: couch/sofa
yellow: primary listening position

With your setup, i dont think room eq/calibration will help to achieve a surround sound stage.
If your requirement is only for gaming then i would suggest 3.1 setup(speakers or soundbar) or a 5.1 headphone.
Soundbars that do virtual 5.1 surround sound wont help either since your listening position to the soundbar will only be a couple of feet.
I somehow think the position of right surround speaker is wrong. It should be on the right of the couch.
Let others comment.

Back