Notebook cooler for PS3

manu79

:rolleyes:

I picked my PS3 (320 gb) unit a couple of days back, i see that the unit tends get very hot when used continuously. Also i have kept it on a glass surface horizontally, not sure if keeping it vertically will improve the heat dissipation to that extent. Also we need to buy the stand from SONY by paying extra, i can as well get it fabricated i guess out of aluminum of something.

But the i was thinking if i want to keep the unit horizontal, how about keeping it on top of a cheap laptop cooler, something cheap but can do the job without too much of a fan noise, normally all these coolers should come with big fan blades so that they can run slowly without making much noise but can move air efficiently.

I am thinking of getting something like this :

http://www.coolermaster.in/product.php?product_id=4320

or

Notebook Cooler, Notebook Cooling Pad Manufacturer - Orbitron International Co., Ltd.

Did any one try this out, if yes how effective is this ?

Can the USB port on the ps3 be used to power the notebook cooler

You opinions fellas :)...

That's a good idea. The only problem I can see with it is dust accumulation on the inside. Normally heat is disapated from most electronics by blowing it or radiating it outwards. Forcing cool air into it is a great thing but on the flip side you are pushing dust into it as well and it will definitely be a lot more than if the unit was passively cooled. This could have an impact on the life of your BluRay drive.

My honest opinion is that you should leave it as it is. Sony has built a pretty robust unit. People have been using the PS3 as-is for years without any problems.

My idea was to keep the ps3 horizontal placed on top of the notebook cooler , to reduce the the heat genrated in the base. Just like how you would use regular laptop. So nothing like blowing air into the ps3, its just improving the circulation at the base of the unit.

Update :

Over the weekend, I picked a Belkin Notebook cooler for around 800 bux and bought some couple of of rubber\sillicone washers from a hardware shop which you normally place under Glass Tables for around 20 bux . The rubber\sillicone washers were bought to adjust the tilt which is present in the Belkin cooler, the tilt is not adjustable type..

The whole idea was to keep the ps3 horizontal and improve the air circulation in the base of the unit. The belkin models have a concave design which seemed ideal for this purpose also the dimension fit the slim console perfectly...

Belkin sells two products as shown in the link below, both look same from top , but i picked the one which has a fixed tilt(they call it airwing :p ) cuz its cheaper and claims better air suction capabilities ..

Belkin : Cooling Pad

The fixed tilt of the belkin cooler also acts as a channel for sucking in cool air so i had it place in the reverse order in such a way that the front panel of the ps3is in line with the tilt portion of the belkin cooler (if used with a notebook you woul have the tilt other way around i.e the tilt would be near the lid hinge).

I then placed the washer to compensate for the tilt and the ps3 is now sitting flat..

The USB connector of the cooler was plugged into one of the free ports on the console, once powered on the cooler starts working within 2-3 seconds. Folks sittign ver sloe to the console may hear the rush of the sound and the blades spinning but once you sit comfortably around 7-8 feet back you wont notice it , unless you want to :indifferent14:

Now coming to the actual use, while i dont have proper equipment to measure the temperature variance the usual crude method of placing my hand on anything hot :D did seem to tell me there is less heat being dissipitated. Is there any way we can check the temprature in the system ? Googling didnt help :eek: ...

Previously since i had it placed on a glass surface the heat generated around the unit was high in my opinion, it might be to do with the fact that glass tends to reflect heat. However now its way less, hope this helps anyone else facing heat issues.

I am sure the console is desgined to withstand high tempratures, but am sure a little bit of cooling can help, especially during summers.

Will post pics once i get back home ....

Update :

I am sure the console is desgined to withstand high tempratures, but am sure a little bit of cooling can help, especially during summers.

Will post pics once i get back home ....

Some interesting test results,

Test-1
108 hours 10 players continuously used in a normal environment

Test-2
4 days used in 0 degree

Test 3
Used for 108 hours in 48 degree Celsius

Overall result - Nothing happend to the console

More details here How to Kill a PS3 Console - is it Really Possible? | PS3Vault

Back