• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Now a Soviet Era Drivers for the Mets

SPONSORED ADS

Hari Iyer

Hari Iyer, I really don’t have an answer for that:)

In the past I have owned all kinds of speakers. They all have their strengths and weakness.

Live music is more about presence, dynamics and tone. Not very easy for a speaker to reproduce. Personally having owned and heard many systems ranging from cheap to uber expensive, nothing comes close to live music.
What i get from above is, its futile to try matching your home speakers with live performance. Maybe its good to know where to draw the limits from being close to live performance. Even OB speakers will not be able to do full justice to the same.

yogibear

One can come close to live performance but never match it. You are luck if you have great synergy in your setup.

Hari Iyer

One can come close to live performance but never match it. You are luck if you have great synergy in your setup.
My major concern is low end performance with a small 8" driver as the roll-off is 18dB/octave for an OB. If later discovered, i am in no position to use another 12" woofer or a sub-woofer to gel with the 8" FR driver due to space constraint. So, whatever i decided should be with a lot of logic. I dont have the luxury of listening to any 8" FR driver only OB speaker. Did any FM built an OB speaker with only a 8" FR driver? If yes, how low does it go?

prem

Hari, for a OB speaker to work properly, you need to pull the speakers out sufficiently from the front wall because in a OB design, the rear wave needs to be managed. In your house I don’t see that happening. Hence my suggestion is to stay away from it.

Hari Iyer

Hari, for a OB speaker to work properly, you need to pull the speakers out sufficiently from the front wall because in a OB design, the rear wave needs to be managed. In your house I don’t see that happening. Hence my suggestion is to stay away from it.
This was the exact answer I was expecting. Should I, or should I not. Thanks Prem. But acually i do have some space in the front on the left and right towards the sofa, which will make from 3 feet to 6 feet from the front wall. It will then be around 7 feet from the rear wall. Do not know if that can cause "Boom".

Last edited:

yogibear

My initial suggestion was, since your driver is high Qts, just do make a test baffle just for comparison with your TL. With space constraints OB is no good and TL would be perfect.

Some people prefer to attempt TL only if driver Qts is between 0.25 to 0.4 Though I do not know if this rule strictly applies in practice.

Hari Iyer

In the meanwhile, i did some test simulation with OB for both my current Fostex FE-166en and the new soviet driver with the published parameters. The red colour is Fostex and blue is the new driver. For the same baffle width, height and driver position, the fostex roll-off is 300Hz, but the soviet driver is cool 63Hz though at a lower SPL. This keeps me even more wondering, why not give it a shot. Most drivers in other diy project uses the Fostex in OB for mid-range duty. This particular driver is vintage and has totally different characteristics. Any suggestions?

SPONSORED ADS

Attachments

prem

Hari how will you manage 6 ft from front wall?

Don’t you have a wall unit there?

Also you are not going to get any useful bass from a 8 inch driver in an open baffle

My suggestion is still to drop the idea. However as Yogibear suggested you can experiment for the fun of it and hear how it sounds

Last edited:

Hari Iyer

Hari how will you manage 6 ft from front wall?
My Main door is 3 feet. Add to that 3 feet will bring it close to the sofa. This will be 6 feet from the front wall. Listening position near the window will still be 9 feet. Total length of the room is around 15 feet + additional 2 feet where i sit where the glass window is behind.

prem

Your wall unit there will mess up the sound completely. It’s got glass doors. Also your TV is there. As it is with a TL design you were having a huge problem. With the OB it will be a nightmare.

Hari Iyer

Your wall unit there will mess up the sound completely. It’s got glass doors. Also your TV is there. As it is with a TL design you were having a huge problem. With the OB it will be a nightmare.
OK. Did not consider those. Will putting a simple thick bed sheet on the TV screen reduce reflection? The glass door can be opened where the AV items are creating a cavity. Also they are at below 1.5 feet. Alternatively, can putting some cotton cloth like a thin bed sheet behind the OB baffle reduce the effect.

prem

Hari, with your room size, I would try to build a speaker that probably goes down to about 40-45 hz. Below that may not be required.

prem

No Hari. The back wave is quite strong. The lower frequencies will hit your wall unit and come back, messing up the complete sound. With a boxed speaker you tame the rear wave to a large extent. But what you introduce is box coloration. In your case the box will be a lesser evil

But by all means experiment with OB. It’s easy to put it together. Also pretty inexpensive. :)

Last edited:

Hari Iyer

One more simulation OB (Blue) Vs TQWT (red). The box coloration is quite obvious in the mid frequency in the TQWT. Perphaps adding some stuffing can tame this. Also the mid-bass is less in the TQWT. The OB excels in this area. The driver is the same in both cases.

Also octave-to-octave balance is very smooth in the OB compared to the TQWT;

Attachments

jls001

Staff member
Haha:)

Don't know too much about OBs except at one point I was seriously contemplating building a Manzanita.

The thing that brought me back to terra firma from my lofty dreams was the fact that the baffle is going to be one ugly monster especially since I was thinking of a driver complement of a 15" woofer with 4" wide bander. I could live with the space requirement behind the baffle (36" at the minimum) but the right drivers were rather difficult to source. What ultimately discouraged me was the horror stories of drivers crushed and destroyed on their journey from overseas sellers.

yogibear

Hari,

With OB attempt, it just pretty easy to wind up later so I would reiterate, do experiment your driver in OB, drive it with your SET crossoverless and please post your views on your overall sonic experience.

Just keep it reasonably away from the rear wall and do not worry about anything else.

Folks won’t throw you out as it’s pretty easy to wind up.

SPONSORED ADS