• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Now a Soviet Era Drivers for the Mets

Hari Iyer

Here, after you get your driver, measure the actual TSP and you can simulate that in different open baffle widths and shapes:

http://www.tolvan.com/index.php?page=/basta/basta.php
@ Yogibear
Thanks for sharing the link of the OB simulator. I tried simulation with Baffle height 50", Driver Position 30", Baffle width=15" (curved) and got the attached response with the driver published parameters. It looks cool on paper. I have used a BSC to level the response. The room gain of around 5.5dB in the low-end is also included in the simulated response.

SPONSORED ADS

Attachments

Last edited:

SPONSORED ADS

yogibear

Doesn’t it look promising in OB? I suggest you must try it in open baffle at least for the sake of comparison. The high Qts of 0.7 really shines in OB. You may fall in love with the OB midrange.

jls001

Doesn’t it look promising in OB? I suggest you must try it in open baffle at least for the sake of comparison. The high Qts of 0.7 really shines in OB. You may fall in love with the OB midrange.
Only for trial, will a thick-ish cardboard do as open baffle?

Hari Iyer

My only concern with OB loading is the loss of center imaging because of diffuse sound due to dipole behavior. Another concern is - Too many boxes currently at my home, will have to sell some to find some space for a new box :) . The cardboard trick can work, as its easy to dispose that.

prem

Centre imaging is a Hifi thing. Am not saying it’s a bad thing or you should ignore it but in live music, you’ll not get centre imaging.

yogibear

Make sure the FRD is mounted asymmetrical. One way of doing it, is to centre the driver on the front baffle and give it unequal sides in the rear, say 6” on left and 2” on right. Adds to total baffle width too without taking up extra space.

Hari Iyer

Centre imaging is a Hifi thing. Am not saying it’s a bad thing or you should ignore it but in live music, you’ll not get centre imaging.
Does that mean OB is close to live music? Vocalist and instruments in live music is also Dipole and not monopole. I am talking about live music without any Electronics involved.

Hari Iyer

Make sure the FRD is mounted asymmetrical. One way of doing it, is to centre the driver on the front baffle and give it unequal sides in the rear, say 6” on left and 2” on right. Adds to total baffle width too without taking up extra space.
If I am planning a 50" baffle and mont the driver at say 36", and if the usable baffle width is 9", the left is at 6" to center and right is 2" to center? Is this what u r saying? Any logic for this? Curious to know.

SPONSORED ADS

yogibear

The FRD in open baffle is not supposed to be mounted in the centre of the baffle, that is, no equal sides. To do this, some do centre the driver on the baffle but give it side walls in the rear which are longer/ deeper on one side than the other. Imagine a kind of U frame but with unequal sides. You can conceal the sides under the front baffle. So visually it looks symmetrical from the front but acoustically gets optimized. You do save the front space, and the driver rolls of much lower too.

Learnt this from OB veterans who say it tames dips / peaks in the midrange and should be religiously followed by the OB cult !!!! I will try to fish out the exact terms / statements.

yogibear

Yes, Hari, OB is closest to “Calling the Band to play at will in your room”. Simplest and shortest the whole chain is, the closer is the reproduction. OB represents each component, very transparent and honestly. Has become my “The Tool” to judge different drivers and tube signatures.

Sharing my little experience from an altitude of 37000 feet....

Last edited:

prem

Hari Iyer, I really don’t have an answer for that:)

In the past I have owned all kinds of speakers. They all have their strengths and weakness.

Live music is more about presence, dynamics and tone. Not very easy for a speaker to reproduce. Personally having owned and heard many systems ranging from cheap to uber expensive, nothing comes close to live music.

Hari Iyer

The only OB speaker i have briefly listened to is one from FM Sumantha. This was almost 2 years ago, and now i dont remember what i listened. Will like to revisit him as he stays pretty close to my home.

yogibear

I briefly discussed the possibility of another speaker box (OB) in my room, and after that no one in my family is speaking with me o_O
Makes me confine all my audio indulgences to the office flat else I will be kicked out with my toys...

SPONSORED ADS