Now a Soviet Era Drivers for the Mets

Centre imaging is a Hifi thing. Am not saying it’s a bad thing or you should ignore it but in live music, you’ll not get centre imaging.

Centre imaging is a Hifi thing. Am not saying it’s a bad thing or you should ignore it but in live music, you’ll not get centre imaging.
Does that mean OB is close to live music? Vocalist and instruments in live music is also Dipole and not monopole. I am talking about live music without any Electronics involved.

Make sure the FRD is mounted asymmetrical. One way of doing it, is to centre the driver on the front baffle and give it unequal sides in the rear, say 6” on left and 2” on right. Adds to total baffle width too without taking up extra space.
If I am planning a 50" baffle and mont the driver at say 36", and if the usable baffle width is 9", the left is at 6" to center and right is 2" to center? Is this what u r saying? Any logic for this? Curious to know.

Hari Iyer, I really don’t have an answer for that:)

In the past I have owned all kinds of speakers. They all have their strengths and weakness.

Live music is more about presence, dynamics and tone. Not very easy for a speaker to reproduce. Personally having owned and heard many systems ranging from cheap to uber expensive, nothing comes close to live music.

The only OB speaker i have briefly listened to is one from FM Sumantha. This was almost 2 years ago, and now i dont remember what i listened. Will like to revisit him as he stays pretty close to my home.

Hari Iyer, I really don’t have an answer for that:)

In the past I have owned all kinds of speakers. They all have their strengths and weakness.

Live music is more about presence, dynamics and tone. Not very easy for a speaker to reproduce. Personally having owned and heard many systems ranging from cheap to uber expensive, nothing comes close to live music.

What i get from above is, its futile to try matching your home speakers with live performance. Maybe its good to know where to draw the limits from being close to live performance. Even OB speakers will not be able to do full justice to the same.

One can come close to live performance but never match it. You are luck if you have great synergy in your setup.
My major concern is low end performance with a small 8" driver as the roll-off is 18dB/octave for an OB. If later discovered, i am in no position to use another 12" woofer or a sub-woofer to gel with the 8" FR driver due to space constraint. So, whatever i decided should be with a lot of logic. I dont have the luxury of listening to any 8" FR driver only OB speaker. Did any FM built an OB speaker with only a 8" FR driver? If yes, how low does it go?

Hari, for a OB speaker to work properly, you need to pull the speakers out sufficiently from the front wall because in a OB design, the rear wave needs to be managed. In your house I don’t see that happening. Hence my suggestion is to stay away from it.

Hari, for a OB speaker to work properly, you need to pull the speakers out sufficiently from the front wall because in a OB design, the rear wave needs to be managed. In your house I don’t see that happening. Hence my suggestion is to stay away from it.
This was the exact answer I was expecting. Should I, or should I not. Thanks Prem. But acually i do have some space in the front on the left and right towards the sofa, which will make from 3 feet to 6 feet from the front wall. It will then be around 7 feet from the rear wall. Do not know if that can cause "Boom".

Last edited:
In the meanwhile, i did some test simulation with OB for both my current Fostex FE-166en and the new soviet driver with the published parameters. The red colour is Fostex and blue is the new driver. For the same baffle width, height and driver position, the fostex roll-off is 300Hz, but the soviet driver is cool 63Hz though at a lower SPL. This keeps me even more wondering, why not give it a shot. Most drivers in other diy project uses the Fostex in OB for mid-range duty. This particular driver is vintage and has totally different characteristics. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• OB-FX-SOVIET.png
    OB-FX-SOVIET.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 7
Hari how will you manage 6 ft from front wall?

Don’t you have a wall unit there?

Also you are not going to get any useful bass from a 8 inch driver in an open baffle

My suggestion is still to drop the idea. However as Yogibear suggested you can experiment for the fun of it and hear how it sounds

Last edited:
Hari how will you manage 6 ft from front wall?
My Main door is 3 feet. Add to that 3 feet will bring it close to the sofa. This will be 6 feet from the front wall. Listening position near the window will still be 9 feet. Total length of the room is around 15 feet + additional 2 feet where i sit where the glass window is behind.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back