Nvidia shield pro 2017

Congrats .... a bit expensive than US counterpart, but still much cheaper than in India ...so all cool .. :) and Congrats again, you will love the device ...

hello, im a newbe here, I've been looking at the NVIDEA Shield for multimedia duties, I'm currently using a MiniX android box, running the mobile version of android.
Downloading torrents is important to me, i use utorrents on the minix box and it works like a charm.
I understand that the Shield runs android TV OS, and therefore i have a couple of questions.
1. Is it possible to run/sideload android mobile apps? (e.g. utorrents)
2. Does the USB audio output work well?

Really appreciate if someone here can guide me on this

YOu can side load some of the app not all, and there is no way of finding out which you can and which you cannot, except maybe just discuss on forums and all.
The USB audio works well, no issues what so ever.

Hope this answers your questions.

Last edited:
Is there any difference between 2017 Shield & Shield Pro apart from the capacity ?

Capacity is the only difference i can see from Nvidia website.

Connected my Shield TV to Yamaha rxv683 to Tv
Connected 2 external 4tb hdd to shield..

WOW...
Xcellent....

Waiting for Dolby Vision/Hlg firmware update...

Of all the Android TV boxes I have tried....Shield is the Best...
Highly Recommended....

WOW...
Xcellent....

Highly Recommended....
Yes... .

SHIELD is THE best ...... no doubt, been using it for like 8-9 months now, and it just blows the sock off any other android media player.

WOW...
Xcellent....

Highly Recommended....

Hi Sounds great, can you share your experience of watching HDR 10bit files with Nvidia Shield and how does the Audio out put from your AVR sound? did you try playing any Dolby Atmos or DTS-X files ? how does it sound? coz i've been waiting for an 4k Blu-ray player to get released/launched for Indian Market and i don't think its gonna happen before 2020, if this shield will fulfill my requirements then i no need to wait anymore.

I dont have HDR 10 Bit display, but I can vouch SHIELD plays HDR HEVC 10 Bit absolutely fine as high as 400mbps. Dolby Atmos and DTS-X sound as they should. Tried on a Denon AVR. Not sure if this suffices your requirements.

I would rather go with an Xbox one S for around 22k in India (eBay or Palika). 4K bluray player HDMI input to upscale TV box to 4K 50Hz and significantly better hardware cracks the deal. Shield is great but not at 19k.

I am planning to buy Nvidea Shield from Germany. Could anybody tell me if it supports 3D video? I plan to play 3D movies (downloaded from torrents) from my 4TB external HDD connected to the player via USB?

I dont have a 3D tv to test but it plays 3D ISO, 3D folder structure, 3D SBS, 3D TB all files perfectly .... No BD ISO menu though, but thats kodis limitation

Help me out here,

Currently i have himedia 900b and plan to upgrade to nvidia shield at the same time i also have xbox one connected to my network which is currently used only for gaming by myself and kids, my movies source is internal (himedia) and external usb hdd storage.
My queries

If i discard himedia, can that role by played by xbox one ? for playing movies / music ?

Any restriction on formats which xbox one doesnt support ?
came across this link wherein it still has issues playing hd audio formats over dlna and other
https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/2...s/suggestions/6029319-proper-hd-audio-support

What would be added advantage to buy nvidia over xbox one ?

My above thought of assigning media player role to xbox one is for neat config and moreover reduce wiring clutter and ease of use by other family members.

Thanks in advance.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back