Nvidia Shield Tv- Owners Thread!!

Immu

Hello all, i've some strange issue with my New shield tv in terms of audio out-put, i was using H96pro+ Tv Box before, i've a good movie collections on my external hard drive
which has the audio formats of HDMA & TrueHD formats, i also connect to my AVR through HDMI(ARC) from my TV,

well my tv's media-player is great it plays most of the video-audio formats through USB but the only problem with ARC was even though when i play HDMA or TrueHD format file all it does is it converts into DTS or Dolby Digital+ format and i get to see the display on my AVR but the sound out is really great when it played, hence i felt that may be m missing something in terms of HDMA & TrueHD audio and i got my H96pro+ as per some of our FM's reviews and comments, I've installed Kodi as my media player to play all my files and Wow i got to see all the supported formats displayed on my AVR as HDMA & TrueHD when i played the respective files and the sound quality was great as expected was able to hear more details than what i use to hear it on my TV's ARC,

The problem i faced with my H96pro+ was since i have an 4kTV it could play files perfect only if i set the screen resolution to 1080p on H96pro+ if i leave to auto setting or set it to 4k i was losing the lip sync on the videos i watched, i tried several Kodi app versions still did not work for me after doing an research finally got my Nvidia Shiled Tv and i gave away my H96pro+ because of setting the screen resolution to 1080p on the H96pro+ the display looked little washed out than looking in 4k resolution which was more colorful & Detail.

Now the problem that i've with the Nvidia Shield Tv is it plays all the format files with no issues, tried several kodi 18 apps but didn't support well exploring more...,
meanwhile noticed the audio quality is not that great, i mean the audio out put from the AVR is not that great not even close to the audio what i get from my HDMI(ARC),
I even played through the default shiled's media player i could see the display on my AVR it shows up HDMA & TrueHD display when i play the respective files but i feel so bad i could not get the right sound what i was expecting from the player, there was one kodi 18 app i was able to install with out any problem but the problem i had with that app was irrespective of the file format HDMA or TrueHD i played all i got the display on my AVR was only Dolby Digital+ and the audio out put was very low same as what i got when i played through the default Shield's media player.. even when i play any movie form Netflix on shield its shows as DD+ and low sound output.

sorry to wright a big story but wanted to share my complete experience so that i could get some suggestions from our FM's, is there any setting that i should do on my shield Tv? to fix the issue please give in your suggestions.. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Ok, people using Nvidia Shield TV, can you confirm if your a Netflix or Amazon Prime users, are you getting Dts-hd,TrueHD or Atmos audio on shield tv?

Ok, people using Nvidia Shield TV, can you confirm if your a Netflix or Amazon Prime users, are you getting Dts-hd,TrueHD or Atmos audio on shield tv?
Hi,
My Shield is not switching on since last 2 weeks. But, as far as i know, Amazon prime video India didn't have any atmos or dts-hd videos. So, it was just showing DD 5.1 for every videos. Same was the case with Netflix.
But, in kodi, my ripped bluray movies showed DTS X or Atmos as per the movie soundtrack.

Only Atmos and DD, Atmos on the newer 4K shows like Jack Ryan.

Haven't seen DTS or X on any till now.

Super , i dont have 4K tv and i m using Nvidia shield
I have Nvidia Shield too... but Amazon is not giving Atmos on it. Or maybe Nvidia needs to update the Prime Video app?

For now for Prime Video, Amazon Fire TV 4K is the superior device.

Did any one contact your Amazon/Netflix to check if they support 4k/Atmos on Nvidia Shield Tv? i think shield tv does not support for now may be in future update can solve this issue coz all i get on Netflix is only DD+, I've 4k SDR TV that support 4k upto (2160p 30hz), when i turn on the Shield TV my TV does shows the display as 2160p 30hz but when i play any 4k move from my external HDD it shows only 2016p 25hz and full HD movie as 1080p 60hz the display is little dull not as same display when i connect & play my HDD through my TV's USB directly,
connecting the HDD through TV's USB i could see much more clear & colorful picture, is there any other settings i've to change on my Shield TV? coz this was not the case when i was using my H96 Pro+ TV box.
if you people are also experiencing the same please share your inputs..

Did any one contact your Amazon/Netflix to check if they support 4k/Atmos on Nvidia Shield Tv? i think shield tv does not support for now may be in future update can solve this issue coz all i get on Netflix is only DD+, I've 4k SDR TV that support 4k upto (2160p 30hz), when i turn on the Shield TV my TV does shows the display as 2160p 30hz but when i play any 4k move from my external HDD it shows only 2016p 25hz and full HD movie as 1080p 60hz the display is little dull not as same display when i connect & play my HDD through my TV's USB directly,
connecting the HDD through TV's USB i could see much more clear & colorful picture, is there any other settings i've to change on my Shield TV? coz this was not the case when i was using my H96 Pro+ TV box.
if you people are also experiencing the same please share your inputs..
The Shield does play Atmos and 4K + HDR at 60 fps, since 2016.

Use Kodi for media player. Others like Plex need h/w acceleration that the Shield is not powerful enough for 4K streams.

The Shield does play Atmos and 4K + HDR at 60 fps, since 2016.

Use Kodi for media player. Others like Plex need h/w acceleration that the Shield is not powerful enough for 4K streams.

Well i tried Kodi did not support well hence using SMPC now, which version of Kodi you are on? playing any kind/type of file no problem on shield tv but the quality of display is what i am missing, playing Bluray-disc on my Samsung Bluray player gives better pic quality on TV coz my LeEco tv does up-scaling well even on 1080p videos but i don't understand what's wrong when i am playing through Nvidia Shield TV? whether i play using SMPC or shield's default media player the pic/ audio quality is just the same.

Or else just wanted to understand if someone has 4k display, please help me to understand how does it look when you play the content from Nvidia Shield Tv and playing the same content directly on Tv's usb or any other source, Just try and check if there is any difference in the picture quality or its the same!!

Or else just wanted to understand if someone has 4k display, please help me to understand how does it look when you play the content from Nvidia Shield Tv and playing the same content directly on Tv's usb or any other source, Just try and check if there is any difference in the picture quality or its the same!!

I have a 4K TV and using Nvidia shield. I don't see much of a difference, may be picture quality is more when played from shield I would say.

r
Well i tried Kodi did not support well hence using SMPC now, which version of Kodi you are on? playing any kind/type of file no problem on shield tv but the quality of display is what i am missing, playing Bluray-disc on my Samsung Bluray player gives better pic quality on TV coz my LeEco tv does up-scaling well even on 1080p videos but i don't understand what's wrong when i am playing through Nvidia Shield TV? whether i play using SMPC or shield's default media player the pic/ audio quality is just the same.
Well depends on what you are trying to play.

Local files - 4K and Atmos - Kodi on Nvidia Shield. I've tried everything and only the Shield holds up.

Streaming - APV - Fire TV 4K. Only device (right now) that supports Atmos and HDR10+ for streaming.
Streaming - Netflix - Fire TV 4K, Nvidia Shield, Xbox One X, and PlayStation 4. All of them play Netflix in 4K with Dolby Digital 5.1. I've not come across any Netflix shows or movies with lossless HD audio. If you have then let me know and I will check it out. Jack Ryan is the only show with Atmos for streaming and it did not show Atmos in the Shield. Did not test with game consoles, but I'm sure they will have even slower support and feature rollout. So only Fire TV 4K for Atmos on streaming.

Let me know if you need more details or any specific show to test.

PS: Coming to TV USB... it's the same quality more or less. I've not seen superior picture quality on the Shield compared to TV apps or the Fire TV 4K.

I have a 4K TV and using Nvidia shield. I don't see much of a difference, may be picture quality is more when played from shield I would say.

Thanks for your input Gokul, I am really wondering don't know what settings i've to change on my Shield TV to get the same Picture quality as i get from my TV when i play directly, coz i see playing the same content (fullHD/4k file) through TV's USB the pic has more details & colorful but when i play through the Shield TV i feel the colours are little washed out, not talking about the online content provider now coz they might have full support for one device and not on the other hence i tried with all the files i have on my HDD.

Thanks for your input Gokul, I am really wondering don't know what settings i've to change on my Shield TV to get the same Picture quality as i get from my TV when i play directly, coz i see playing the same content (fullHD/4k file) through TV's USB the pic has more details & colorful but when i play through the Shield TV i feel the colours are little washed out, not talking about the online content provider now coz they might have full support for one device and not on the other hence i tried with all the files i have on my HDD.

Which player do you use when playing from Shield? Kodi?

Did any one contact your Amazon/Netflix to check if they support 4k/Atmos on Nvidia Shield Tv?

Nvidia Shield doesn't support Dolby Atmos on Netflix. I have sold mine & bought Xbox One X and it does support Atmos on Netflix. Amazon is expanding Dolby atmos support for multiple devices other than Fire TV & CUBE.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix:

• LG OLED TVs (2017 models or newer)
  • Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models or newer)
  • Windows 10 app (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
  • Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X

Nvidia Shield doesn't support Dolby Atmos on Netflix. I have sold mine & bought Xbox One X and it does support Atmos on Netflix. Amazon is expanding Dolby atmos support for multiple devices other than Fire TV & CUBE.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix:

• LG OLED TVs (2017 models or newer)
  • Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models or newer)
  • Windows 10 app (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
  • Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X
Just wanted to understand, if Sony & LG TV supports Dolby Atmos on Netflix & Prime, How do you pass through atmos audio to the AVR which supports Dolby Atmos?

Last edited:
Which player do you use when playing from Shield? Kodi?
Gokul as i mentioned i tried kodi 18 but did not support on shield coz K18 was very good match for H96pro+ it was reading any files flawless, SMPC 17.6 works fine and last night installed kodi from play-store i think its 17.6, previous night got an new update (7.1) for the shield tv hope you all got the same,

As i mentioned earlier, i tried all the media player like SMPC, KODI even on Shield's default media player,
Wanted to tell you that i noticed one thing, as i mentioned my 4k Tv supports max resolution of 2610p @30hz since mine is an SDR not HDR when i am on home screen the display shows as 2610p 30hz even when i open smpc or kodi the home screen still shows as 2610p 30z but when i play any 4k movie file it shoes as 2610p @24hz but it suppose to show as 30hz instead it takes only 24hz and when i play fullHD movie file it takes as 1080p 60hz,

But on my H96pro+ when i played any 4k files it matched the screen resolution and it showed as 2610p @30hz with out any issue..

Gokul as i mentioned i tried kodi 18 but did not support on shield coz K18 was very good match for H96pro+ it was reading any files flawless, SMPC 17.6 works fine and last night installed kodi from play-store i think its 17.6, previous night got an new update (7.1) for the shield tv hope you all got the same,

As i mentioned earlier, i tried all the media player like SMPC, KODI even on Shield's default media player,
Wanted to tell you that i noticed one thing, as i mentioned my 4k Tv supports max resolution of 2610p @30hz since mine is an SDR not HDR when i am on home screen the display shows as 2610p 30hz even when i open smpc or kodi the home screen still shows as 2610p 30z but when i play any 4k movie file it shoes as 2610p @24hz but it suppose to show as 30hz instead it takes only 24hz and when i play fullHD movie file it takes as 1080p 60hz,

But on my H96pro+ when i played any 4k files it matched the screen resolution and it showed as 2610p @30hz with out any issue..

Hi,

Let me check the settings in Kodi. for me, the Tv shows 4k @ 60Hz all the time even when playing movies.

I am using the Kodi from play store 17.6...

and which is your TV model?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back