Nvidia Shield VS Minix Vs Mac mini

Plex and Kodi are based on the same code and Kodi does have its merits, .
Thats not true, only Portions of Plex were forked from Kodi, or XBMC, back in 2007/2008, apart from that its a completely different arch. Also I agree, Kodi is here to stay, I have not seen any open source front end media project that has such huge popularity and active community behind it. Its like Raspberry Pi when it comes to community support, backing, development, third-party integration, forks ...... you name it. PLEX has its own merit, but Kodi has the throne when it comes to front end media playing capabilities and customization.

nothing could be further from the truth.

What I meant was with the end of live-streaming add-ons and piracy, Kodi is just not the same. Most folks use it to live stream sports, movies, TV shows, etc. It's not used to stream local media as much as online streaming.

All the big 3rd party add-on sites have shut down or are going that way.

Android TV - Never on my list... for the simple fact they can (at least the cheap Chinese ones) never play the likes of Netflix in FHD or 4K..

Again, couldnt be far from the truth, what you are talking about is NOT Android TV OS, but the Players based on Android Phone OS. Android TV is different and players with official Android TV OS (agree there are only handful) CAN play everything (Netflix/APV FHD and 4k).

The PQ of Android TV (which ticks most of my requirements) is quite deplorable, .

Again not true, I think what most of are confused is with Android OS and Android TV OS. Most of Media Players, have ported the Mobile Android OS on their hardware and that too poorly, few managed to be better, but players which Google has officially licensed to have proper Android TV as the OS, PQ is flawless, and all streaming apps like Netflix APV play in full FHD or 4k glory (if the hardware is capable)

TChen is right, Plex is plug & play and really easy to use.

lol ... Plex is no way plug and play... neither is Kodi for that matter, but if I have to choose kodi is much straightforward to play. Plex is based on a client-server model, even though the latest version of Plex media player CAN play media directly now, it still is not that straightforward as Kodi is. A simple example is "Subtitles" ... In Kodi, just add the service for the subtitle (like subscene) and then its just a matter of calling the service from within the app WHILE the movie is playing, the search is automatic and all you need to do is OK the selected sub and you are done. Can you say the same with PLEX? How many of you have actually fiddle around with subs compatibility in PLEX and managed to get the sub playing, from within PLEX itself. ( external subs I am talking about like srt)??

Last edited:
Bala, The NUC is one option i haven't yet explored for Video, i assume the 6i7KYK, can do HDR & 4k playback?.

its a 600 USD machine, you gotta be kidding me for purchasing that for Media playback :p, even for 4K. Get nVidia Shied for less than half the price, can do 4K, HDR and can play a video as high as 400Mbps 4K like butter smooth. The highest bitrate for an UHD playback with ATMOS sound is less than 150Mbps .... do the math.:)

Buying a NAS like Synology is a good option, but again the entry ones are good only for file sharing. Don't expect to run Plex on them. For Plex you need decent h/w.

Entry level NAS from synology are NOT just for file sharing?? Cheese man, have you ever owned a Synology or if owned worked on it properly. The DSM OS on Synology is almost same in all models across. Except maybe the super high ones. But taking an example of 916+ which itself is a pretty high-end model the DSM OS is same except few apps exclusive to the hardware power of 916+. Like virtualization using DOCKER. Rest all what you can do with a 916+ you can also do with a 216j as well (which is a LOT) .. (except for transcoding, coz of the hardware).

and FYI ... 916+ runs PLEX server almost as good as Shield if not better

Not my recommended choice as most Android TV boxes lack or don't run Netflix in FHD. That's where Chromecast and Roku (and maybe Fire TV) come in. They offer much better PQ and also a bouquet of services that no single device offers.

Not true, already answered and addressed in my earlier post quoting you.

Last edited:
@sam9s - If you could post something to help the OP with his requirements it would be swell.

But hey no... nothing useful to help the OP or others with their queries. Especially instead of being a "I know it all".

I have used and own all of the equipment including 2 NAS.

PS: I'm not even going to waste anymore time debating with you... the very fact you want to debate instead of helping anyone with their queries shows the type of person you are. Enough said.

Can Shield bitstream DTS HD/ True HD to AVR? or it just puts out 5.1 PCM?

@sam9s - If you could post something to help the OP with his requirements it would be swell.

But hey no... nothing useful to help the OP or others with their queries. Especially instead of being a "I know it all".

I have used and own all of the equipment including 2 NAS.

My intentions as an honest member are to correct, misinformed posts via my experience and that is what I am doing, yes it might sound critical and blunt, via written words, but the intention is not, and people who know me knows that as well. ....also yes I DO know it all, hence the posts to correct the utterly misinformed posts, like one for Synology, only used for file sharing and cannot play plex..... just an example.

If the posts or the information posted does not attune to your senses, then, by all means, stop reading them/ignore them, but as a loyal member, I would keep correcting information that is misleading, especially of domains that I personally have the experience with. ...cheers

My intentions as an honest member are to correct, misinformed posts via my experience and that is what I am doing, yes it might sound critical and blunt, via written words, but the intention is not, and people who know me knows that as well. ....also yes I DO know it all, hence the posts to correct the utterly misinformed posts, like one for Synology, only used for file sharing and cannot play plex..... just an example.

If the posts or the information posted does not attune to your senses, then, by all means, stop reading them/ignore them, but as a loyal member, I would keep correcting information that is misleading, especially of domains that I personally have the experience with. ...cheers

Well for starters maybe you should attend school and learn to read properly???

I never said cannot play Plex. I said cannot transcode. Do you even know the difference?

Entry level Synology for file sharing and higher models for transcoding. Both obviously do Plex. But you cannot seem to fathom those mysteries.

Learn to read properly, and understand what someone is trying to say before jumping all over them.

Your insulting is not helpful to anyone in the least.

Well for starters maybe you should attend school and learn to read properly???

I never said cannot play Plex. I said cannot transcode. Do you even know the difference?

916+ CAN transcode as well, read what I wrote as well, 916+ can run plex server as good as if not better than the shield.

and OH yea I hardly know the difference ..:p:p:rolleyes:

Entry level Synology for file sharing and higher models for transcoding. Both obviously do Plex. But you cannot seem to fathom those mysteries.

lol again misinformation BOTH cannot do plex. (only high end Intel ones can) 21*j series fails misrably on PLEX server front. and entry level Synology can do MUCH MUCH more than just file sharing, and you say you own 2 NAS ..:p

Your insulting is not helpful to anyone in the least.

I am not instulting anyone, just rectifying, contradicting wrong information, if you do not have the maturity to admit, then your loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buxx View Post
Can Shield bitstream DTS HD/ True HD to AVR? or it just puts out 5.1 PCM?
YES, ATMOS as well.

I am checking here: NVIDIA SHIELD User Guide

and I dont see DTS-HD MA passthrough...Can you confirm with a file and then comment ?
Thanks.

lol ... Plex is no way plug and play... neither is Kodi for that matter, but if I have to choose kodi is much straightforward to play. Plex is based on a client-server model, even though the latest version of Plex media player CAN play media directly now, it still is not that straightforward as Kodi is. A simple example is "Subtitles" ... In Kodi, just add the service for the subtitle (like subscene) and then its just a matter of calling the service from within the app WHILE the movie is playing, the search is automatic and all you need to do is OK the selected sub and you are done. Can you say the same with PLEX? How many of you have actually fiddle around with subs compatibility in PLEX and managed to get the sub playing, from within PLEX itself. ( external subs I am talking about like srt)??

its a 600 USD machine, you gotta be kidding me for purchasing that for Media playback :p, even for 4K. Get nVidia Shied for less than half the price, can do 4K, HDR and can play a video as high as 400Mbps 4K like butter smooth. The highest bitrate for an UHD playback with ATMOS sound is less than 150Mbps .... do the math.:)

Sam, i go for convenience, the Shield is a great device no doubt, but i can't live with its UI & other quirks.

The Mac I'm using is repurposed one, i was running Roon core on it earlier along with Plex, now i have dedicated Roon machine.
but I'm thinking that it may not also be the way to go because Apple haven't refreshed the Mac mini range with 4k, (they may entirely ditch it).

That leaves out the NUC, im definitely not keen about using it in PC mode with a keyboard and mouse, the tablet mode though looks interesting.

Sam, i go for convenience, the Shield is a great device no doubt, but i can't live with its UI & other quirks.

Its all in the head bro, nothing can be more convenient than a shield. (certainly not a bare done PC like NUC) ignore the UI, if you can, what is imp is what the machine offers and what price. For playback all you do is switch on the machine, open SPMC or KODI and enjoy your media. You don't have to bother about UI and there are no other quirks. Trust me if you can a little, once you start using it, you will appreciate the device. Shield is not one of the casual run of the mill Android players that have flooded the Chinese market .. :)

Rest, of course, is your take ... :)

That leaves out the NUC, im definitely not keen about using it in PC mode with a keyboard and mouse, the tablet mode though looks interesting.

With NUC, you will get a bare bone machine, you have to install windows or openELEC if you do not want it to be a typical desktop machine, (and in both the cases much much more configuration and tinkering is required to get the desired result) and at 600 USD, a machine just for KODI does not make sense from any perspective. You would be seriously undermining the potential of the machine and also waste your money ... IMHO ofcourse.:)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back