Odyssey Cyclops or Khartago with active pre-amp?

Again. I own a class D amp, I know exactly what I am talking about. Categorising something as lifeless doesn't mean they can't drive.

If I have to recommend products only on the basis of audition, then probably we need to have as many audio dealers as apartment builders

Whatever reasons Mr Asit is exactly laying out in terms of volume control to many other things. You will find detailed description about st pre implementation of it in their website.

It got interesting passive/active combination and recently it has been upgraded to special edition as well

Again I have researched extensively for my own system and I looked at similar combination.

My recommendations are after countless hours of spending time in forums and reading in detail about their designs.

1.7 needs lot of power, price per watt will work out better in terms of class d amps,cost, space and energy efficiency.

In this economic situation, buying factory direct makes lot of sense, as all that savings from dealer/distributor margins are better utilised for getting quality gear.

I don't want discuss any further and derail this thread from its original intent.
We all are entitled to our opinion and mine is based on what I own.

Thanks
Venkat

I have a Cyclops (the Stereo Extreme version with additional upgrades) that I've been using for nearly three years now; it's driving a pair of Gallo Acoustics Ref 3.1's. My source component is a Marantz SA8004 SACD player (which I mainly use as a DAC) -- and in my experience the output signal from the Marantz is plenty for the Odyssey amp to work with. Matter of fact, I most often have the volume control at about 7 o'clock -- 8 or 9 o'clock (occasionally 10) will then be enough to get things playing really loud (= 85 or 90 dB).

Clearly, one of the things this shows is that most of my Cyclops's effective volume control is at the lower end of the potentiometer's range -- but it also shows that the simple line-level output of the Marantz (which does not have a variable output except for its built-in headphone amp) is plenty of signal for the Odyssey amp to have free range. With this source, then, the fact that the Cyclops has a "passive preamp" (actually, it doesn't really have anything worth the name "preamp" at all -- just a potentiometer between its inputs and the amplifier) is no disadvantage whatsoever. Moreover, I'd say this thing positively kicks butt -- a really fantastic, nuanced, muscular amp.

Thanks medyod :) It is most helpful. You are the one first person on this forum who has shared that they directly driving from DAC to Cyclops so it is very encouraging. The concern remains on Cyclops' viability to drive the Maggies 1.7. It is a bit tricky to buy the amp and then figure out if it works with 1.7 :) Costly experiment.

This reply (end of March, 2014) probably comes too late for milestoneseeker, who was still thinking last October of a Cyclops with Magnepan 1.7's. In case it's helpful to anyone, though, I'll just add to my earlier, enthusiastic report of my own experience using a Cyclops, that all of Odyssey's amps are widely attested to be stable down to 2 ohms or even below -- so they've got plenty of current for the Maggies, which are rated at 4 ohms. AND, Odyssey equipment comes with a 20-year, *transferrable* warranty, plus you can later on get what you paid for the Cyclops towards any Odyssey upgrade; how many other manufacturers stand that firmly behind their products?

medyod,

The journey of hi-fi (with ever spiraling inflation) does not come to a closure so quickly nowadays :( I have not yet closed any purchase and with a new house coming up, I see my finance being diverted to more mundane matters.

Plus, Maggie 1.7 may be a bit of a tight squeeze in my proposed living room. Maybe Mini Maggies?? I still love the sound of Maggie but no idea how good/bad are the minis.

I have a Cyclops (the Stereo Extreme version with additional upgrades) that I've been using for nearly three years now; it's driving a pair of Gallo Acoustics Ref 3.1's. My source component is a Marantz SA8004 SACD player (which I mainly use as a DAC) -- and in my experience the output signal from the Marantz is plenty for the Odyssey amp to work with. Matter of fact, I most often have the volume control at about 7 o'clock -- 8 or 9 o'clock (occasionally 10) will then be enough to get things playing really loud (= 85 or 90 dB).

Clearly, one of the things this shows is that most of my Cyclops's effective volume control is at the lower end of the potentiometer's range -- but it also shows that the simple line-level output of the Marantz (which does not have a variable output except for its built-in headphone amp) is plenty of signal for the Odyssey amp to have free range. With this source, then, the fact that the Cyclops has a "passive preamp" (actually, it doesn't really have anything worth the name "preamp" at all -- just a potentiometer between its inputs and the amplifier) is no disadvantage whatsoever. Moreover, I'd say this thing positively kicks butt -- a really fantastic, nuanced, muscular amp.

hello medoyed,
could u put some more light on khartago integrated.
I m looking for naim nait 5i. I auditioned that but i did not find that good in bass at low volume & i need that.
My chain includes- cambridge audio 651 bd universal player,
acoustic portrait FS speakes with scanspeaK drivers- 40-200 w,
sensitivity-89 db.
Currently have marantz 5004 amplifier.

I liked the PRAT quality of naim & control on speakers.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back