Old Speakers with a new receiver

megres

Hi!,
First Post :),
Well firstly let me explain the situation, I have had the Samsung HT-TX500 for some years, Has been working fine until friday. The subwoofer started smoking and is now kaput. :sad:

The theatre system is 5.1 and all the speakers connect to the subwoofer with one cable to connect the sub to the dvd player. The dvd player and subwoofer have separate power sources. I figure that now I have no Sub and the dvd player is old so not bothered about that either. But would really like to keep my original speakers.

I needed some advice on whether its possible to connect these old speakers to maybe a new AV receiver.

The speakers currently have a specific samsung plug on the wiring part that was plugged into the sub, Can i just cut the plugs off and use the bare wires.

Also if it is possible to connect these speakers to a new av reciever could someone point me in the direction of a decent one that would be able give the right power etc to these speakers.

The speaker specifications are;

All 5 speakers have
Impendance: 3 Ohms
Frequency Range: 140Hz-20kHz
Output sound pressure level: 88dB/W/M
Rated Input: 167W
Maximum Input: 334W

I would really appreciate any advice from you guys.

:signthankspin:

Welcome to HFV.
Now speakers have impedance of 3 ohms & most of low end AVR will struggle.Also sound may not be very good.

Most Audio Video receivers (AVR)s are designed to work with speakers of 8 ohms

I would suggest you get new speakers along with your new AVR.

Most receivers do not go below 6 Ohms, it is not advisable to connect 3 ohm speakers.
This is a problem with most HTiBs, in the brighter side you can now get yourself a nice receiver of your choice and some quality speakers according to your budget. You will appreciate the much better audio quality, so rejoice ! :)

So Iv had a quick go at disassembling the amplifier on the back of the subwoofer. thought id at least see whats caused the smoke.

Ive included a pic, Im not very tech savvy so have no idea what the actual blown components are for, only know its a bunch of capacitors i think.

Any input appreciated,

Thanks

Attachments

• picsay-1368362746.jpg
    picsay-1368362746.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 37
sorry didnt realise the pic quality not so good, but seems the smaller components are leaking, like a bright silver metal, theres 4 leaking on one line on the board.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back