OLED uniformity thread

Good luck, buddy! Let's see how LG India responds to this. Definitely fight them if you're seeing it in content. Also, can you please attach some photos of the banding so we start collecting more data within the thread as to what's the average banding we're getting in sets in India?

photos will not show my banding because that shows up only in motion.

does your panel look uniform in normal viewing of hdr/sdr content if you dont go looking for an issue?

does your panel look uniform in normal viewing of hdr/sdr content if you dont go looking for an issue?
Mine looks fine even in photos. There is a small warm patch in the center on a 100% white slide but that evens out when you look at the whole screen.

Close to zero banding in 5% grey slide.

So all in all, in normal viewing I have zeros issues with my panel besides those that are inherent with the OLED tech like panning shots where there is a mild stutter which i refuse to fix with dejudder :p.

It shows up in some dark panning shots. Not going to play lottery right now.

Mine looks fine even in photos. There is a small warm patch in the center on a 100% white slide but that evens out when you look at the whole screen.

Close to zero banding in 5% grey slide.

So all in all, in normal viewing I have zeros issues with my panel besides those that are inherent with the OLED tech like panning shots where there is a mild stutter which i refuse to fix with dejudder :p.

I'm now using the clear setting. It introduces less artifacts than even de-judder 1. In smoothening shots, it's like de-judder 3. I decided to stick with it after comparing moving shots in cinema when I went for Joker last week. Clear brings the stutter to that level. There's some SOE effect to my eyes., but that might also be because of increased clarity of 4k. Letting my eyes get used to that motion now.

Hey! Since an influx of OLED purchases are coming, a separate thread for sharing unifmority images and experinces of returning the ones with horrible ones makes sense. To ensure that we're all taking images with similar settings, please use these before taking the images:

LG OLED:

ISF dark room
OLED light/backlight 35
Brightness 50
Contrast 85
Gamma 2.4/BT. 1886

Sony OLED: Cinema pro or Netflix calibrated mode

Please take images in a pitch black room. If possible, use manual camera on your phone app with EV at 0. Most relevant images would of 5% grey and 100% white to showcase banding in the former and tinting in the latter.

Link to Break-In Slides
http://www.hometheatershack.com/break_in_images.zip
*Make the slides linked above are filling the entire screen by changing the settings on your TV.

5% Banding Test YouTube

Here are some more test scenes from avsforum users which will highlight these issues in content in case someone gets a bad panel and want to file a return via retailer or LG. Do not that uniform can change in the first 100-200 hours of usage. So give your TV some time if you want before going in for the return.

mrtickleuk
The OA - Netflix - S02 - E02 - starting at 1:06:16, camera drifts up the stairs. video_analysis
Marco Polo - Netflix - 14-16 minutes (S1E3)The Walking Dead S08E08 Flaken2000
Here is some content examples I've personally used. Arrival First, where she is walking into school through the corridors up the steps (from 4:00). Camera panning over grass field (from 18:48). Next when they first go up into the capsule and travel up (from 26:20). Another is right at the end of the film where the camera pans down from the ceiling to the scene looking out through the window to the sea (from 1:45:25). Interstellar At the beginning of the movie, right after the flight scene, main character wakes up (1:48). Very dark scene.The Martian At the beginning of the movie, horizontal camera pan showing Mars red mountains (1:26) Prometheus Scenes in the caves on the alien world (34:11)Passengers Pool scene. Panning shot of spaceship (41:35)
The colour slides are not filling the screen. There are only in the center. How to make them to fill entire screen? What are the settings to fill the screen?

The colour slides are not filling the screen. There are only in the center. How to make them to fill entire screen? What are the settings to fill the screen?

Errr...just use the YouTube video. Search 5% grey on YouTube on the TV. I did it that way, so I don't really know why your slides aren't filling the entire screen.

Errr...just use the YouTube video. Search 5% grey on YouTube on the TV. I did it that way, so I don't really know why your slides aren't filling the entire screen.
Actually, I am unable to connect to internet due to poor network. So, unable play the video. After solving the network issue I have to check that Youtube video. Meanwhile, I played the slides which I downloaded and stored in a pen drive. I will update the result after sometime.

Actually, I am unable to connect to internet due to poor network. So, unable play the video. After solving the network issue I have to check that Youtube video. Meanwhile, I played the slides which I downloaded and stored in a pen drive. I will update the result after sometime.

Ah! Cool. Fingers crossed it's pristine. LG engineers now have a technique that ensures brilliant uniformity, but it requires each panel to be configured individually. GZ2000 seems to be the only TV which is using it because it has excellent grey uniformity but can still suffer white tinting.

Took the image with the settings as per your very first post. Infact I could not see any uniformity issue if I watch it directly, but if I see through the camera, there is some bright spot found in the center as you can see in the image.

View attachment 40661

Looks underexposed, but as far as I can tell by raising brightness of my screen, looks pretty good, and if you can't see anything much with eyes even in pitch dark, don't even bother checking it ever again. You won the lottery!

Couldn't take properly exposed image in my mobile camera. Yes I can't see anything in a completely darked room.
Now I found out how to maximize the slides to full screen. But can you explain how to use or what is the use of that slides? I think it can be used for burn in test. Is there any use of them here?

Couldn't take properly exposed image in my mobile camera. Yes I can't see anything in a completely darked room.
Now I found out how to maximize the slides to full screen. But can you explain how to use or what is the use of that slides? I think it can be used for burn in test. Is there any use of them here?

As of now on a new set, only 5% grey and full white for checking white tint matter. Color slides are used to check burn-in. No need to check for that for quite some time. Enjoy your new TV!

Hey! Since an influx of OLED purchases are coming, a separate thread for sharing unifmority images and experinces of returning the ones with horrible ones makes sense. To ensure that we're all taking images with similar settings, please use these before taking the images:

LG OLED:

ISF dark room
OLED light/backlight 35
Brightness 50
Contrast 85
Gamma 2.4/BT. 1886

Sony OLED: Cinema pro or Netflix calibrated mode

Please take images in a pitch black room. If possible, use manual camera on your phone app with EV at 0. Most relevant images would of 5% grey and 100% white to showcase banding in the former and tinting in the latter.

Link to Break-In Slides
http://www.hometheatershack.com/break_in_images.zip
*Make the slides linked above are filling the entire screen by changing the settings on your TV.

5% Banding Test YouTube

Here are some more test scenes from avsforum users which will highlight these issues in content in case someone gets a bad panel and want to file a return via retailer or LG. Do not that uniform can change in the first 100-200 hours of usage. So give your TV some time if you want before going in for the return.

mrtickleuk
The OA - Netflix - S02 - E02 - starting at 1:06:16, camera drifts up the stairs. video_analysis
Marco Polo - Netflix - 14-16 minutes (S1E3)The Walking Dead S08E08 Flaken2000
Here is some content examples I've personally used. Arrival First, where she is walking into school through the corridors up the steps (from 4:00). Camera panning over grass field (from 18:48). Next when they first go up into the capsule and travel up (from 26:20). Another is right at the end of the film where the camera pans down from the ceiling to the scene looking out through the window to the sea (from 1:45:25). Interstellar At the beginning of the movie, right after the flight scene, main character wakes up (1:48). Very dark scene.The Martian At the beginning of the movie, horizontal camera pan showing Mars red mountains (1:26) Prometheus Scenes in the caves on the alien world (34:11)Passengers Pool scene. Panning shot of spaceship (41:35)

Here is mine:

Used the settings that you mentioned, ran the Break-In slide.
Just 2-3 hrs into the TV FYI.

I do wanna point out that the issue looks much worse in the picture than in person.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Here is mine:

Used the settings that you mentioned, ran the Break-In slide.
Just 2-3 hrs into the TV FYI.

I do wanna point out that the issue looks much worse in the picture than in person.

Thoughts?

That's bad actually; like mine but mine has dark patches in the middle instead of one side. You might or might not notice it in content. Dark panning shots are the most problematic.

Give it time though. It can improve dramatically sometimes. 50-60 hours at least. Then you can try a manual pixel refresh. It didn't help with mine, but I'm Reddit megapost, some people have had dramatic improvements.

That's bad actually; like mine but mine has dark patches in the middle instead of one side. You might or might not notice it in content. Dark panning shots are the most problematic.

Give it time though. It can improve dramatically sometimes. 50-60 hours at least. Then you can try a manual pixel refresh. It didn't help with mine, but I'm Reddit megapost, some people have had dramatic improvements.

Will check around the 100hr mark, might run a manual pixel refresh and see if there is any improvements.

The new Panel that you got, was that from the Retailer or LG?
How did that procedure go?

Last edited:
20191026_170327.jpgIMG_20191026_170143.jpg

Photos taken from the YouTube links available in this topic. In 5% gray, I can see a dot in the top(marked in red), but I hope nothing to worry about it.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back