OLED uniformity thread

Changed the compensation cycle time to 2 hours now. Hahahaha! Wish me luck. Btw, if you check Rtings burn-in test, there's a brightness increase till like 1,000 hours or so. So I'm hoping it can improve a bit more.

So I had one from last week. I see some improvement over time. I have changed the frequency of auto pixel refresher to run after every 3 hours from the service menu in hopes that it might help. You can compare with my first posts in this thread.
Yes your uniformity seems to have improved and also it seems your panel doesn't have any prominent banding issues. My panel has prominent bands as you may see from my pictures.

Yes your uniformity seems to have improved and also it seems your panel doesn't have any prominent banding issues. My panel has prominent bands as you may see from my pictures.

Mine has an ugly band right in the center, made worse by the fact that two dark areas surround it. Seen it in a 3-4 shows. Only dark panning scenes bring it forward. Also, some changes might be due to the settings too. I'm not sure in which mode I took the photo that I posted recently. I'll take more tonight with the settings I mentioned in the first post.

Have you seen this banding in any content as of yet?

Ok! Compare with the one. This one is with ISF mode with OLED light at 35. The one I uploaded earlier today was at OLED light 50.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191203_201004.jpg
    Screenshot_20191203_201004.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 40
How does this panel rate is it somewhere in the middle.
Also looks worse in photo than when actually looking at the screen.
65C9 24th Sept 2019 manufacture.

Attachments

• C9.jpg
    C9.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-20191205-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20191205-WA0004.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 39
Does one really have to do this? I'm asking from a totally noob perspective...
No, you absolutely do not need to do this but then again you are in place for AV enthusiasts and not your typical average Joe :D

@Marakk Sup Bro. I see that your panel uniforminty has come leaps and bounds over the last few months. Mine seems to be doing great so far. Will check again this weekend to see if I can see any changes/improvement from the last time I did the uniformity test.

No, you absolutely do not need to do this but then again you are in place for AV enthusiasts and not your typical average Joe :D

@Marakk Sup Bro. I see that your panel uniforminty has come leaps and bounds over the last few months. Mine seems to be doing great so far. Will check again this weekend to see if I can see any changes/improvement from the last time I did the uniformity test.

Hey! Going well. Did some acoustic treatment in the room recently. Although, I'm not sure if uniformity has actually improved or it's just the camera blurring it out. I'll take more images tonight to compare.

At 250hours mark and another manual pixel referesh, banding seems to be as it is with no improvement.
@Marakk in the Marco Polo scene mentioned in the first post, can you see banding in your set?
Screenshot_20191229-225621_Photos.jpg

At 250hours mark and another manual pixel referesh, banding seems to be as it is with no improvement.
@Marakk in the Marco Polo scene mentioned in the first post, can you see banding in your set?
View attachment 42222

Yup! I doubt it'll improve much. Are you noticing it in any content? In my set, I do notice that line in the center in some content, including the Marco Polo scene.

Yup! I doubt it'll improve much. Are you noticing it in any content? In my set, I do notice that line in the center in some content, including the Marco Polo scene.
Yes in Marco Polo scene, i do notice the bands. After paying a bomb for the TV, it breaks heart to get these kinds of issues.

Yes in Marco Polo scene, i do notice the bands. After paying a bomb for the TV, it breaks heart to get these kinds of issues.

Yup. Try for a panel change if it's bugging you. No guarantees really with OLED, or even DSE in LEDs.

Is this banding visible in dark movie scenes? i am thinking about Dell XPS 15 with OLED but if movies dark scenes show banding then it defeats the very purpose of OLED screen and i can go for normal screen options.

Is this banding visible in dark movie scenes? i am thinking about Dell XPS 15 with OLED but if movies dark scenes show banding then it defeats the very purpose of OLED screen and i can go for normal screen options.

It's visible only when it's a dark scene and the camera pans. Read reviews of that particular model. However, IPS glow or even VA panels can have bad uniformity that's even worse because it'll be visible in all scenes, like my IPS monitor or TCL TV or every damn TV I had had, including a Sony 3D one 6 years ago.

Yup. Try for a panel change if it's bugging you. No guarantees really with OLED, or even DSE in LEDs.
I don't think it will be easy to convince an average LG technician to agree to lodge a request for panel change.

Unlike Europe we don't have option of no questions asked option to return the set to retailer within 30/ 90 days.

Imagine to convince a LG technician, i will first have to make room pitch black and then play dark/ dim/ panning content to show the issue while in content with normal brightness, the banding won't be visible.

I don't think it will be easy to convince an average LG technician to agree to lodge a request for panel change.

Unlike Europe we don't have option of no questions asked option to return the set to retailer within 30/ 90 days.

Imagine to convince a LG technician, i will first have to make room pitch black and then play dark/ dim/ panning content to show the issue while in content with normal brightness, the banding won't be visible.

That's true. The return policy is what would have helped a lot. Give me a week. I have called a technician. Will update when the process is complete.

I went through this thread roughly and also few videos in YouTube and other international forums. Seems like almost every LG OLEDs suffer banding. Any Sony A8 users here in this thread? How is the Banding problem with the Sony A8? Couldn’t find any Sony A8 or A9 owners complaining about banding issues

I went through this thread roughly and also few videos in YouTube and other international forums. Seems like almost every LG OLEDs suffer banding. Any Sony A8 users here in this thread? How is the Banding problem with the Sony A8? Couldn’t find any Sony A8 or A9 owners complaining about banding issues

Because C9 outsells Sony models by a huge factor. Sony sets have the same issues. Check OLED banding thread on avsforum. Only GZ2000 seems to be using this custom optical method to have great grey uniformity, but whites can still be tinted.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back