OLED uniformity thread

Because C9 outsells Sony models by a huge factor. Sony sets have the same issues. Check OLED banding thread on avsforum. Only GZ2000 seems to be using this custom optical method to have great grey uniformity, but whites can still be tinted.
Ok is the GZ2000 available in India and priced as same as c9 or more ?

Ok is the GZ2000 available in India and priced as same as c9 or more ?

It's not available in India. It's priced way higher in UK and other countries where it's available. It's a custom panel with higher peak brightness and 120W sound with upfiring speakers in-built.

It's not available in India. It's priced way higher in UK and other countries where it's available. It's a custom panel with higher peak brightness and 120W sound with upfiring speakers in-built.
Ok in my past experience the LG customer support is very poor. The local service center first checks where it was purchased and if it was from online or from any other shops they give very poor response. Also they have closed the ticket as customer issue resolved or attended even without visiting my place. This can’t be said for every location but in my area it is pathetic. For my oven which costed 18k they charged AMC of 9k but I didn’t pay and even after fighting for weeks with me submitting the proof from LG site that it’s only 3500 they never agreed. I escalated the issue to LG India and global and only then they came down with the price and then also they cheated me with 1000 rs saying sir gst blah blah but the 3500 mentioned in their official site was including gst and 3500 only. My experience with them is pathetic

Ok in my past experience the LG customer support is very poor. The local service center first checks where it was purchased and if it was from online or from any other shops they give very poor response. Also they have closed the ticket as customer issue resolved or attended even without visiting my place. This can’t be said for every location but in my area it is pathetic. For my oven which costed 18k they charged AMC of 9k but I didn’t pay and even after fighting for weeks with me submitting the proof from LG site that it’s only 3500 they never agreed. I escalated the issue to LG India and global and only then they came down with the price and then also they cheated me with 1000 rs saying sir gst blah blah but the 3500 mentioned in their official site was including gst and 3500 only. My experience with them is pathetic

I have sued Sony in consumer court and won. I don't expect good service from any company by default. However, as far OLED service goes, LG has been nice till now. Will update in a week for the panel replacement.

I have sued Sony in consumer court and won. I don't expect good service from any company by default. However, as far OLED service goes, LG has been nice till now. Will update in a week for the panel replacement.
Well its just sad man paying so much cost and having to go through this hassle. The thing i hate about replacement is we don't get brand new parts. Its just some re-furbished part and having to use it is almost like paying money for a new product but using an used product. All brands are like this and warranty policies suck here in india.

Well its just sad man paying so much cost and having to go through this hassle. The thing i hate about replacement is we don't get brand new parts. Its just some re-furbished part and having to use it is almost like paying money for a new product but using an used product. All brands are like this and warranty policies suck here in india.

Actually with OLEDs, people replacing the entire TV seem to get bad units over and over again, while panel replacements tend to be better. Anyway, I'm going to check the date and all if the panel is replaced. Won't let them do it without verifying everything. Sony's track record for OLEDs is worse than LG though. LG has been more proactive in resolving issues. 2018 Sony owners are still stuck with bad Dolby Vision.

Actually with OLEDs, people replacing the entire TV seem to get bad units over and over again, while panel replacements tend to be better. Anyway, I'm going to check the date and all if the panel is replaced. Won't let them do it without verifying everything. Sony's track record for OLEDs is worse than LG though. LG has been more proactive in resolving issues. 2018 Sony owners are still stuck with bad Dolby Vision.
Well seems like it will take few years for manufacturers to address all the oled issues

Well seems like it will take few years for manufacturers to address all the oled issues

C9 is pretty damn refined for me. Motion is great. Clear is free of SOE with minimum artifacting. Only in a highly specific scenario it happens. Some room from improvement, but almost there. Burn-in has been addressed. Chrominance flashing has mostly been resolved as much as possible from software issue. Sony hasn't completely addressed that btw. Look at Vincent's review of AG9. G-Sync is so so good too. Got the official update yesterday. After initially deciding to buy FZ950 in July, I'm glad I waited.

C9 is pretty damn refined for me. Motion is great. Clear is free of SOE with minimum artifacting. Only in a highly specific scenario it happens. Some room from improvement, but almost there. Burn-in has been addressed. Chrominance flashing has mostly been resolved as much as possible from software issue. Sony hasn't completely addressed that btw. Look at Vincent's review of AG9. G-Sync is so so good too. Got the official update yesterday. After initially deciding to buy FZ950 in July, I'm glad I waited.
But you do have dead pixel right? I am talking about a tv being problem free. Yes electronics fail and some have defects. But some common issues like banding, dead pixels etc. I have come across many having this issue.

But you do have dead pixel right? I am talking about a tv being problem free. Yes electronics fail and some have defects. But some common issues like banding, dead pixels etc. I have come across many having this issue.

I don't see these problems as just being OLED specific though. Banding in dark grey is OLED specific, but we have DSE effect on LED LCD sets, including the expensive ones like Q90. Dead pixels seeems like more of a 4k thing.

@Marakk

A suggestion, in the first post, you may add Mindhunters Episode 8 - Netflix - at 47:15 , which in my opinion is the definitive torture test out there.

Those wanting to check banding in real content and not slides, may play that scene with OLED light at 25. It will show all the bands that are present in the set as the scene is virtually a 5% grey shot.

@Marakk

A suggestion, in the first post, you may add Mindhunters Episode 8 - Netflix - at 47:15 , which in my opinion is the definitive torture test out there.

Those wanting to check banding in real content and not slides, may play that scene with OLED light at 25. It will show all the bands that are present in the set as the scene is virtually a 5% grey shot.

Yeah! I spotted that one. I'll update the first post, but give me a couple of days. I'm getting my panel replaced tomorrow. So will add in the process and my thoughts on it too.

Yeah! I spotted that one. I'll update the first post, but give me a couple of days. I'm getting my panel replaced tomorrow. So will add in the process and my thoughts on it too.
My best wishes for your panel replacement. May the New panel be great for you.

How they accepted to replace the panel for uniformity issue?

My best wishes for your panel replacement. May the New panel be great for you.

How they accepted to replace the panel for uniformity issue?

I'll detail the entire process once it's completed. Give me a few days. And thanks! :aD

i tried the panel replacement for my c8 which as i mentioned earlier in this thread had banding which was very visible on particular slides but only slightly in real content.

to cut a long story short - after multiple follow ups, technician visits, emails/tweets to LG etc they denied the replacement.

basically it has to be a very obvious issue, they go into a service menu (which is another pain as it resets EVERYTHING - usage hours, all settings, app installations/logins which will cost you another hour or so to re-setup; i had to do this twice) & only if the issue shows up on the solid color screens they have there will it be approved. the technician has to take a photo of the issue & send it to their head office in noida where they have to get a go-ahead. so i'd suggest to make sure your issue is clearly visible if you want to go through the pain.

of course ymmv and you may get a tech who'll get it done for you, the 2 who came to see mine could not even see the issue.

i tried the panel replacement for my c8 which as i mentioned earlier in this thread had banding which was very visible on particular slides but only slightly in real content.

to cut a long story short - after multiple follow ups, technician visits, emails/tweets to LG etc they denied the replacement.

basically it has to be a very obvious issue, they go into a service menu (which is another pain as it resets EVERYTHING - usage hours, all settings, app installations/logins which will cost you another hour or so to re-setup; i had to do this twice) & only if the issue shows up on the solid color screens they have there will it be approved. the technician has to take a photo of the issue & send it to their head office in noida where they have to get a go-ahead. so i'd suggest to make sure your issue is clearly visible if you want to go through the pain.

of course ymmv and you may get a tech who'll get it done for you, the 2 who came to see mine could not even see the issue.

This is what I wanted to highlight once it was done, but oh well, mine was approved because the line the center was visible even upto 20%. I actually didn't spot it at that and thought it was really really faint, but that's because I always saw it head on; the senior tech spotted it from the side and pointed it out. I found the technicians to actually be helpful. Maybe it was because my panel is clearly below average.

This is why I didn't want to add anymore scenes in the first post because the tech mentioned that many people call them for this issue, showing slides and all, and perhaps a few scenes over and over again. It's better to actually shortlist content that you have seen and in which this problem was quite obvious. For me, Beasts of No Nation was that movie. In one 2 minutes long scene, the line in the center was visible 6-7 times. Now because in that camera follows the character, with dark skin, the characters are often in the center and that line shows up clearly. That scene might not reveal shortcoming of your panel, but for mine, It was clear that it's a problem, and it's something that's quite visible.

And then, dead pixels just helped the case even more.

So wrapping up, find your own content and be honest. If your panel is indeed problematic, you can fight and get it changed. Also, I have noticed going through various forums and threads that those who got their panels replaced had better luck at getting better panels than those who kept returning and taking new sets.

Wish me luck. I'll give more details about the process with pictures tomorrow or day after, depending on when they come to replace.

This is what I wanted to highlight once it was done, but oh well, mine was approved because the line the center was visible even upto 20%. I actually didn't spot it at that and thought it was really really faint, but that's because I always saw it head on; the senior tech spotted it from the side and pointed it out. I found the technicians to actually be helpful. Maybe it was because my panel is clearly below average.

This is why I didn't want to add anymore scenes in the first post because the tech mentioned that many people call them for this issue, showing slides and all, and perhaps a few scenes over and over again. It's better to actually shortlist content that you have seen and in which this problem was quite obvious. For me, Beasts of No Nation was that movie. In one 2 minutes long scene, the line in the center was visible 6-7 times. Now because in that camera follows the character, with dark skin, the characters are often in the center and that line shows up clearly. That scene might not reveal shortcoming of your panel, but for mine, It was clear that it's a problem, and it's something that's quite visible.

So wrapping up, find your own content and be honest. If your panel is indeed problematic, you can fight and get it changed. Also, I have noticed going through various forums and threads that those who got their panels replaced had better luck at getting better panels than those who kept returning and taking new sets.

Wish me luck. I'll give more details about the process with pictures tomorrow or day after, depending on when they come to replace.
Best of luck, do post pictures and your experience once replacement is done.
In your content watching was banding visible in normally lit room or dark/ pitch black room because as per my experience till now, banding is noticable only in content watched in pitch black room.

I know that it is not easy task getting replacement for uniformity issue. But in your case, you have some dead pixels too. As you told in the previous post, definitely the dead pixels will make this task easy. I just now saw the post in which you mentioned about dead pixels.

I couldn't find any dead pixel in your images. Are dead pixels found from the beginning or recently?

Anyway, best of luck.

I know that it is not easy task getting replacement for uniformity issue. But in your case, you have some dead pixels too. As you told in the previous post, definitely the dead pixels will make this task easy. I just now saw the post in which you mentioned about dead pixels.

I couldn't find any dead pixel in your images. Are dead pixels found from the beginning or recently?

Anyway, best of luck.

Dead pixels won't be visible in pictures from 4-5 feet. You have to be really close to see them. I can spot them starting from 3 feet.

Panel hasn't arrived yet. They are saying tomorrow or day after. Pfft!

Best of luck, do post pictures and your experience once replacement is done.
In your content watching was banding visible in normally lit room or dark/ pitch black room because as per my experience till now, banding is noticable only in content watched in pitch black room.

It was visible in the day too. Like I said, my panel seemed to be below average. The line in the center was the biggest issue. Otherwise it wouldn't have been visible.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back