OLED uniformity thread

I tried playing the Marco Polo scene mentioned but in HDR the isr dark room mode is not available.so picture is bright and vivid and I don’t see any banding

Use Cinema mode in Dolby Vision. That's the reference grade mode for DV.

I tried playing the Marco Polo scene mentioned but in HDR the isr dark room mode is not available.so picture is bright and vivid and I don’t see any banding
Use cinema mode in DV HDR, drop oled light to 35, in a pitch black room watch mindhunter season 1 episode 8 at 47:15, all the bands in the set will become visible.

Use cinema mode in DV HDR, drop oled light to 35, in a pitch black room watch mindhunter season 1 episode 8 at 47:15, all the bands in the set will become visible.

No no. Don't drop OLED light to 35 in DV mode. HDR works differently than SDR. 35 OLED light in HDR will lower the maximum nits instead of global reduction like SDR. Moreover, no one should watch DV or HDR with OLED light at 35, so it doesn't matter how it looks at that either. In SDR, 35 OLED light is actually higher than reference value of 100 nits or the more commonly used for homes of 120 nits.

No no. Don't drop OLED light to 35 in DV mode. HDR works differently than SDR. 35 OLED light in HDR will lower the maximum nits instead of global reduction like SDR. Moreover, no one should watch DV or HDR with OLED light at 35, so it doesn't matter how it looks at that either. In SDR, 35 OLED light is actually higher than reference value of 100 nits or the more commonly used for homes of 120 nits.

It shows HDR only for Marco Polo and not DV

It shows HDR only for Marco Polo and not DV

Anyway, for HDR too, don't mess with the settings in dark modes, especially OLED light. Bright mode, for DV at least, deviates so much from the reference one that I made major changes to that to get it closed to the dark mode and then turn on AI brightness. For HDR, I just use Techinicolor with AI Brightness to compensate for ambient light increaee during the day.

Anyway, for HDR too, don't mess with the settings in dark modes, especially OLED light. Bright mode, for DV at least, deviates so much from the reference one that I made major changes to that to get it closed to the dark mode and then turn on AI brightness. For HDR, I just use Techinicolor with AI Brightness to compensate for ambient light increaee during the day.
I use my friend account in Netflix. Must be the top plan as it plays 4K.
Yes was able to see but it was very minimal

I use my friend account in Netflix. Must be the top plan as it plays 4K.
Yes was able to see but it was very minimal

Then you can keep it. The dark patches weren't a problem for me that much, but that line in the center was. Just saw it again in second episode of You at 15:30 or so. I wouldn't have replaced it either with a set like your unless I could see it, and it was distracting. Your next one might be worse. It might be like mine. Lol

Reh

Regarding Dolby Vision, that's really weird. It should show DV and not HDR.
Oh wait I know why I am using shield and it doesn’t support DV should use the tv App. But I am having Dolby demo disk and using a pen drive to play them from tv app but there also only HDR and not Dolby vision

Oh wait I know why I am using shield and it doesn’t support DV should use the tv App. But I am having Dolby demo disk and using a pen drive to play them from tv app but there also only HDR and not Dolby vision

Ah! Alright. I haven't tried DV over USB so can't say. Anyway, doesn't matter. HDR will work to showcase the issues too. Just use the Cinema mode (not Cinema Home) and don't mess with OLED light.

Ah! Alright. I haven't tried DV over USB so can't say. Anyway, doesn't matter. HDR will work to showcase the issues too. Just use the Cinema mode (not Cinema Home) and don't mess with OLED light.
In my experience, both Cinema and Cinema Home Mode have OLED light at 100 and in that only faint banding is visible, dropping OLED light shows banding more prominently. But got your point.

Well I was deep down thinking something is missing interms of colour. Thought ok I got used to Sony colours and sadly the issue was actually the Hdmi port. The sharpness, smoothness and vividness was slightly missing. First I connected the avr out to Hdmi 2 and now connected to Hdmi 1 huge improvements but HDR and 4K keeps getting stuck with audio and video when connected to Hdmi 1. Have to get it replaced. Will call the showroom manager first thing in the morning

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back