On transports

This is a really interesting thread and I am intrigued by the various views expounded. I use a fairly high end CD player (Esoteric K-03) but still feel my digital system is slightly more to my taste in it's presentation, perhaps as I have spent longer time with the sound of the external DAC.
I just wanted to mention, one thing that surprised me was the signature of various digital cables - point 11 here. In a revealing system, I was surprised at the impact of the digital cable. I currently use two Jorma digital cables (SP/DIF) and tried a few others (three or four brands, including Stealth etc.). Each very clearly made an audible difference. This is from personal experience and I am sure there are many who will be skeptical of this.

My experience with digital (Spdif) cables is similar. Very audible difference. Even with the same dac, which one sounds better seems to change with the transport

kaushik, stop your effort to "learn" from me. I am not the only member you must learn from. You and I are not having good conversations. Why do you want to learn from me?

I don't like your comments, so I avoid quoting your comments or replying on them. I figured it a long time ago that I cannot have a good conversation with you. So I started to stay away from your posts. You do the same, because you don't particularly like my comments either.

Rest assured, mods have the ability to judge who needs to be banned. This is not the only thread where you have followed my posts and turned them into counterproductive ones. You did the same in "budget DSLR" thread. In this thread we were having a very healthy and productive discussion till the time you jumped in. Please stay away from my comments because this is a community, and whether you feel bad about it or not, others do feel bad about it.

This is my last post to reply you.

I have rolled my own S/PDIF cables. One was made from a 75 ohms coax cable meant for uncompressed 3 Gbps high definition video with double shielding (RG 59). RCAs are gold plated Neutriks. The other one is Spectra coax with Spectra RCAs. They do sound different.

Do you know what kind of expertise it takes to write a custom shell?

I wrote a custom shell eons ago. It was more of a hack and very simple indeed.

It's not as big as it seems. But starting with something is a better way to start from ground up. It will be interesting to see how does it turn out to be when I get down to it.

A light weight OS for computer audio is essential but not sufficient component .
PC Hardware with many PPI chips ,dc to dc converters generate noise that deteriorates the audio quality.Usb HC devices are feeding from this noisy power so audio suffers.

1)In DIY audio people started to build a system with SD card.

A very minimalistic firmware just to pump data to DAC was developed:

Lossless SD-card player - diyAudio
They partially succeeded getting average quality in that.

2)Secondly Beaglebone was used: it has minimal os/firmware
Beaglebone as digital source? - diyAudio
but this CPU is little low powered for 24bit..

ranjeet why you are so upset...i dont develop grudge like you.for all peoples sake STOP telling "your posts are un healthy",stay away kind of things.
that is real bad habit to become mr.adviser. i am not following you ,just you tried to misinterpret my post in DSLR,i had to clarify. Transport is my interest so i am here not for you (what made you think so)

Last edited:
A light weight OS for computer audio is essential but not sufficient component .
PC Hardware with many PPI chips ,dc to dc converters generate noise that deteriorates the audio quality.Usb HC devices are feeding from this noisy power so audio suffers.

1)In DIY audio people started to build a system with SD card.

A very minimalistic firmware just to pump data to DAC was developed:

Lossless SD-card player - diyAudio
They partially succeeded getting average quality in that.

I guess a power isolator that absorbs emi/rf on the input side and usb galvanic isolation on the output side are two tweaks to try...

Sent from mobile on a crappy keyboard. Pls excuse typos.

I guess a power isolator that absorbs emi/rf on the input side and usb galvanic isolation on the output side are two tweaks to try...

Sent from mobile on a crappy keyboard. Pls excuse typos.
usb host controller on extra board is like impossible, normally pci based usb card can be one option,but more interfaces also not good.

instead of that a SFF with linear PSU + pci xonar ASus like card may be viable option.
[fanless linear psu should not be very hard to make]

galvanic isolation, is known to give good results!

Audio via usb also dependent on the usb devices position in usb tree.
My laptop has one port that really sounds good,others are like 5% down in quality.

Last edited:
And those who want just the perfect OS for their audiophile computer, please join my project :p I started it when I had some free time, but busy again. Or should I say, unable to spend quality time writing a custom shell all by myself :eek:
Whoa! That is a very interesting project. In case of interest, my system is based on Ubuntu, but what makes the audio work is KXStudio Had it not been for the fact that I have a Firewire device, which means using jack I would never have needed to go beyond Ubuntu, but now I am used to KXS and its way of handling jack, and the fact that it works. I am very happy with it, and would stick with it even if I went plain USB or back to a PCI card. Kernel is not real-time, but is "low-latency". But jack (it seems, I can't explain) runs in realtime mode, and if not (got my settings mixed up only last week) there will be xruns, resulting in dropouts on my system.

I have saved many of my "vintage" PC components safe with me. One of them is a 12 years old Intel mobo, running on the then state-of-the-art RDRAMs (history now). Compared to current generation mobos that pack everything on one board including Wifi (scary thought when we are talking about signal purity), they were truly modular. You add the component for the functionality you want.
All my problems with PC audio have been over the past few years. Once I got a decent sound card installed, I was getting fantastic results from my old machine which was, I think, a P4 without any struggles. Yes, I do believe that a PC can be a wonderful music player, but I have had my fair share of it not being. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Have you guys thought about using RaspberryPi as a little media player? It has an external power adapter.

Not sure how successful will it be as of today, but SOC devices are the future. I expect them to grow stronger day by day. It may take a while for the audiophile world to accept them as audiophile grade players. Till then, they will serve a good purpose to the people looking for cheap solutions.

Have you guys thought about using RaspberryPi as a little media player? It has an external power adapter.

Hi Manoj,
I have booked Raspberri Pi and will get delivery on 1st week of Dec.I will need help on setting it as a Media player.I know nothing about Computer Audio:sad:

Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:

I considered it and droped it. It does not have two crystals (i.e two clocks) and no facility for PCI expansion slot. Even if it had PCIE - it is is electrically noisy. Hence I got the AMD fusion board with PCI instead.

--G0bble

I considered it and droped it. It does not have two crystals (i.e two clocks) and no facility for PCI expansion slot. Even if it had PCIE - it is is electrically noisy. Hence I got the AMD fusion board with PCI instead.

--G0bble
Well, I am not really familiar with everything that it has. It has an external power adapter, which can be kept at some distance. If used with an external DAC, then it does not need to have two clocks. The clock of DAC will be used for playback and the Rasp Pi will be for playing, control etc.

I have seen its pics. Its a single chip box, with very minimal circuits. I don't understand your comment about electronically noisy. Though a custom OS can be written which can disable the ports not to be used right from boot up, like the analog audio and video to reduce the noise. But if used with external DAC, then the noise inside this box will not matter at all as everything will be in digital domain.

Update:
Actually found a link which has discussed this. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...ing/raspberry-pi-network-audio-adpater-11025/ Looks like there are some data throughput issues with Pi.

Last edited:
The specialized hardware for audio is expensive..

aruraliti player =40k ,PSU=18K

I am not sure experimenters will purchase here
Sachin, the RaspberryPi (no psu,sockets,no cabinets,no IR reciever,no display, no wifi,no Sata interface )is for some experimentation..not worth
as media player when very good media players come in 6k

Hi Manoj,
I have booked Raspberri Pi and will get delivery on 1st week of Dec.I will need help on setting it as a Media player.I know nothing about Computer Audio:sad:

Regards,
Sachin

Easiest way is to get XBMC on it. search for Raspbmc. There are lots of detailed guides on net.

Sachin, the RaspberryPi (no psu,sockets,no cabinets,no IR reciever,no display, no wifi,no Sata interface )is for some experimentation..not worth

Hi Kaushik,
I have already booked PI in Rs2400.I am sure I can get everything like wifi dongle,good looking cab(diy) etc in Rs1500.I wanted to try PI as it is all over internet.I may be completely wrong here.I am a newbe when it comes to computer audio.I will seek your guidance once I receive this.

Regards,
Sachin

Auraliti is purchased by folks for whom the O-N-L-Y purpose of a computer is playback of audio. A typical computer optimized for an audiophile will cost the same or more. Then comes the headaches of players, settings etc. The PSU is not a requirement. This thing is foolproof and guarantees perfect playback without any of the headaches. And works and behaves like normal audio gear. It has an inbuilt DAC or can be used with a high quality external DAC.

CES: Auraliti's Fascinating PK100 High Resolution File Player | AVguide

That thing has DSD streaming.. that alone costs a chunk of money because of licensing issues. If DSD was not there that would have automatically dropped the price by a large degree. Also it has a good onboard AKM based dac and the digital output is based on the Lynx, so it should do its job well.

I think for some one looking for a dedicated pc based playback system with DSD capability and not wanting to take all the headache of optimizing the OS and putting together the hardware, its good value.

Heck, I myself am looking for one, but cant afford it atm..

We need a future replacement for the Squeezebox range. Although many people are using the SB Touch as a media centre, with locally attached storage, the SB concept is to act as a wireless player, communicating with server software on a nearby PC, or playing from the internet.

With no Squeezebox, what are we going to do? True, there are much more expensive options available, but some do not want to spend that much and many more simply can't.

The answer, even for those of us that are not keen DIYers may have to be rolling our own, and the Pi (or similar miniature computer) may very well be an answer. We have DAC boards available to us, some of which are very highly regarded. Pi + ODAC + Wifi + Squeezeplug is one possible formula.

However, having moved on from "Transport" to include the DAC, this is now moving even further to include wireless communications!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back