Once you go Black, you never go Back ;) - My experiments with the wall behind the OLED. (Pictures included in the end)

pauljoseph

I've always had a certain obsessive pattern when it comes to the movie watching experience. Used to be a fan of switching off all the lights and putting objects to cover every small led light source in the room to elevate the experience.

Getting the CX OLED was amazing, the blacks are close to watching a miracle through decades of innovation.

But off late, one thing has been bothering me, my living room has white walls all around and even during a full black scene with small white text in the middle, it illuminates the whole room to an extent where the reflected light goes back to the wall behind the TV and illuminates it so much that the TV borders become very visible and annoying.

So, after some discussion with members of this forum who've gone the dark wallpaper way, I decided to do the same thing, except that I don't have a dedicated home theater room and the TV is in the living room.

And due to Covid, I was planning to DIY the entire thing either way. Here were my options:

1. Get a matte black wallpaper and stick it across the entire wall.
Pros: No hassles and very easy to do.
Cons: Expensive. Would cost around 3-4k for my 10x10 feet wall and gets even more expensive for quality stuff. Also, if you don't like it and want to remove, it would take out existing paint and destroy the wall.

(Tip: If you're planning to go ahead with this route, just get A0 size black chart papers and use tape to stick it together and make a large black sheet and place it on the wall to see how much of an aesthetic impact it would have on the living room before pulling the trigger.)

2. Get black velvet cloth which is apparently the best for absorbing light and giving it a complete black effect. Stitch together a large sheet and place it behind the wall.
Pros: Blackest of blacks.
Cons: Normal tape wouldn't cut it. You'll need to nail in some kind of a fixture to have the cloth in place like a curtain or something. This was my initial plan to test out the aesthetics temporarily before moving to wallpaper and paint after a huge discussion with family because nobody liked the idea of a black wall bang in the center of the living room. They thought it would make it look really bad and gave me an option to use the black velvet cloth screen just for movie time at night which needs to be removed after the movie.

Pretty sure my lazy ass wouldn't keep placing and removing the black screen after watching a movie every time and would eventually stop using the screen.

But again, after sending a Dunzo person all across my city, there seemed to be a terrible shortage of black velvet cloth all around. Even the big cloth shops didn't have it or they had extremely expensive ones. Found one shop which had a 60inch roll for around Rs. 300/metre but it looked very low quality and had colour differences and holes which defeats the purpose.

3. So finally, I decided to paint. I also had backup white paint to revert the change if it turned out bad.
Pros: Everything. Also, the cheapest of them all.
Cons: Nothing, if you don't take into account the effort that is.

Materials:
3inch paint brush to cut in the edges.
Acrylic wall putty to fill in cracks and gaps.
Sandpaper to smoothen the wall.
Masking tapes to get perfect edges (Most important tool.)
Nippon Latex wall Primer.
Nippon Matex Gold wall paint 1L can (for 2 coats). Colour (Black Night). ~Rs.350.

All the materials including the paint together wouldn't cost more than 1k.
The only extra variable here is the paint, if you don't like the colour, put primer and repeat the process with a different one. For my 10 feet x 10 feet wall, I just used 1L of Nippon Matex gold wall paint for 2 coats and it has set in properly and I still have more paint left.

There's no way you can get the paint colour right just by looking at it from your mobile screens. After doing a bit of research on the colour, I figured you don't need complete black to get the desired effect, even grey would do. And I ended up selecting a grey-ish colour called Black Night which turned out to be darker than it looked. Although, weirdly enough, the first coat looked absolutely black. The second coat, after it dried, made it slightly tend towards the grey side. It also has blue-ish undertones.

And, after just 2 coats, it has come out really well and it was a hit with my family. Just brought life into the living room.

Had read a lot of interior design articles and they all said, black/dark is a bold colour and you have freedom to use it just on one wall as an accented one. But you also need to complement it with contrasting elements like white photo frames and it would look beautiful. I also changed the switchboards to black coloured ones. I've attached a few pictures of the whole project.

Finally, on Christmas day, I decided to watch something random because I was too lazy to research on which movie has amazing black scenes to inaugurate the wall. I chose to watch the new Pixar movie Soul.

To everyone reading this, PLEASE WATCH SOUL ASAP on your OLEDs. It has a lot of amazing full black scenes and it's also a beautiful movie overall. Almost feels like it's mastered with OLEDs in mind.

I've taken a few photos using a Pixel phone and even though there is a lot of post-processing, I've increased the exposure in some of the all black scenes to show that I'm not cheating with the overall black look XD. It really does make a nice movie viewing experience.
Here are the pictures:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year y'all!! :)

Had I bought the 65" oled instead of the 75" LCD/LED, I would have enjoyed it a lot after seeing your pics. I am so happy for you, Paul for the immersive experience. Thanks for the suggestion and sharing your experience. You being in the same city as I live, I can always consult you when I am short of ideas.

What kind of Black Velvet did you consider ? I have a dedicated room with flat black painted all over and the floor is a dark black carpet but still i get reflections and its not ideal. The black levels, the contrast, overall the image quality suffers. I have the NX 7 which puts out a jaw dropping image but it can be improved further.
One more point i want to use velvet is i only want to see the screen and nothing else while im watching.
Currently i dont think there is anything on the planet more darker, more non reflective than the triple black velvet.
I got a sample of Microvelvet, it does the job but i see its not ideal. Triple Black Velvet is something i need as people say.

What kind of Black Velvet did you consider ? I have a dedicated room with flat black painted all over and the floor is a dark black carpet but still i get reflections and its not ideal. The black levels, the contrast, overall the image quality suffers. I have the NX 7 which puts out a jaw dropping image but it can be improved further.
One more point i want to use velvet is i only want to see the screen and nothing else while im watching.
Currently i dont think there is anything on the planet more darker, more non reflective than the triple black velvet.
I got a sample of Microvelvet, it does the job but i see its not ideal. Triple Black Velvet is something i need as people say.
If you can import, look at Black 3.0 paint. It was supposed to launch in India but due to CoVID it hasn't.

If you can import, look at Black 3.0 paint. It was supposed to launch in India but due to CoVID it hasn't.
Cant paint, man. Carpeting has been done and paint is a much more hassle. Heard about Black 2.0, didnt know 3.0 is here as well.
I have this sample, which the company calls it Microvelvet 9000. Its very dark, better than 2,3 samples ive seen but in certain very bright scenes it gives out some small amount of reflections.

I had a similar problem with my dedicated room. I painted it dark grey, but the paint still shone like a mirror. So I covered the walls with acoustic foam from MMTAcoustix. It worked out to be the same price. You can even check out the vinyl layer and it should work.

I think it depends on what model tv you have. I have a b7 and it has a tiny silver border running around. It’s would be highlighted against a black background unlike CX.but I see your point here

These images look like a black hole sucking light. Especially WB logo one. By the way the bias lighting you suggested from Amazon for LED TVs, I have placed order. Thanks for the tip.

Had I bought the 65" oled instead of the 75" LCD/LED, I would have enjoyed it a lot after seeing your pics. I am so happy for you, Paul for the immersive experience. Thanks for the suggestion and sharing your experience. You being in the same city as I live, I can always consult you when I am short of ideas.
They all have their advantages/disadvantages I guess. And thanks a lot !! Sure thing :)

I was only looking for cheap black velvet cloth just to prototype and give a feel of what having a black wall in the living room would look like.
And my setup is no where as intense compared to yours.

Although, I had a doubt, since you've already painted the room with flat black paint and watch in complete darkness, what sort of reflections do you get? Are all the walls on the sides and opposite to the screen painted black as well? Are there any other white/bright objects in the room that might reflect light back onto the projection wall?

I'm not sure if the difference in tech has an impact over here...TV vs Projector, but in my case with the dark grey wall, I've reached a point where I can't see the borders of the tv during a black image and it serves the purpose well, although I can't do much regarding the photo frames and other objects on the side wall which do get illuminated, but it's a living room and I only have so much freedom.

I had a similar problem with my dedicated room. I painted it dark grey, but the paint still shone like a mirror. So I covered the walls with acoustic foam from MMTAcoustix. It worked out to be the same price. You can even check out the vinyl layer and it should work.
Was the paint a smooth shiny finish one? Matte ones are generally better for this use-case.

Nice work and good selection.. Having used to watching projector for very long time( from 2002) , none of the TV's attracted me expect plasma.. However this seems to be giving good depth.. No idea to buy however can take a demo at nearest showroom for curiosity.
Regards

I was only looking for cheap black velvet cloth just to prototype and give a feel of what having a black wall in the living room would look like.
And my setup is no where as intense compared to yours.

Although, I had a doubt, since you've already painted the room with flat black paint and watch in complete darkness, what sort of reflections do you get? Are all the walls on the sides and opposite to the screen painted black as well? Are there any other white/bright objects in the room that might reflect light back onto the projection wall?

I'm not sure if the difference in tech has an impact over here...TV vs Projector, but in my case with the dark grey wall, I've reached a point where I can't see the borders of the tv during a black image and it serves the purpose well, although I can't do much regarding the photo frames and other objects on the side wall which do get illuminated, but it's a living room and I only have so much freedom.
Except the speakers and the AC, i have everything black in my room. The speakers are White which i did a huge mistake. I will cover them with black velvet once i decide on the fabric. The AC too, with a black film. The room gets so dark with the lights off that even the small display of AC lits up some of the room. Even the light switches, wires etc are black.
Every Wall is dark grey colored and they reflect off light. The side walls, ceiling and the floor reflect off light so thats why i can see them. For me, its very distracting, plus it ruins the black levels and the contrast of the image.
So blacking out with black velvet will yield me two major advantages. 1. Immersion 2. Better image

Microvelvet does the job 90% of the time it seems. But in highly bright scenes it still reflects off some light so it doesnt act like a Black hole. It has a slight sheen to it, and its not completely natural in composition. I tested Cotton black velvet as well, its not as dark as the Microvelvet, thus unusable.
I will start hunting for it in the coming days and im sure i will get it, its just that im busy with my work these days so dont usually get time to travel to another city, ( Surat ) 70kms from my place where im sure i will get it.

Except the speakers and the AC, i have everything black in my room. The speakers are White which i did a huge mistake. I will cover them with black velvet once i decide on the fabric. The AC too, with a black film. The room gets so dark with the lights off that even the small display of AC lits up some of the room. Even the light switches, wires etc are black.
Every Wall is dark grey colored and they reflect off light. The side walls, ceiling and the floor reflect off light so thats why i can see them. For me, its very distracting, plus it ruins the black levels and the contrast of the image.
So blacking out with black velvet will yield me two major advantages. 1. Immersion 2. Better image

Microvelvet does the job 90% of the time it seems. But in highly bright scenes it still reflects off some light so it doesnt act like a Black hole. It has a slight sheen to it, and its not completely natural in composition. I tested Cotton black velvet as well, its not as dark as the Microvelvet, thus unusable.
I will start hunting for it in the coming days and im sure i will get it, its just that im busy with my work these days so dont usually get time to travel to another city, ( Surat ) 70kms from my place where im sure i will get it.
Have you tried covering the walls with black cloth or something like used in cinema halls for covering the walls. Generally paint are not meant to absorb 100% light.

Bvelvet changes the sound(mostly in a good way)

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back