One output two speakers

sonosphere

Hi everybody,
I intend to try an experiment... to hear what it sounds like when a laid-back speaker and Forward sounding speaker are connected to same signal.
(I guess combination would be complementary, at the cost of over-crowding at some overlapping frequencies)

The component details are as follows:
1. AVR (Onkyo HT-R518) Front speaker output is rated as 130W (RMS?... not in manual) @ 8 ohms
2. Front Speaker (laid-back sound): Wharfedale 9.2, rated as 100W (RMS?... not in manual), @ 6 Ohms (these are running presently as front spkrs)
3. Additional Speaker ("forward" sound): Onkyo SKF 518F rated as 130W max input @ 8 Ohm

Query:
Can I connect two speakers to one speaker output terminal without harming the spkr/AVR?

Thanks in advance

Hi everybody,

Query:
Can I connect two speakers to one speaker output terminal without harming the spkr/AVR?

Yes,your AVR must be having spk A & B opt.You can connect one spk to opt A & sec to B.
Start playing & with remote you can select A or B opt during playback.

Hi everybody,

Query:

Thanks in advance
Hai Sonosphere,

If you connect two speakers together (in parallel) then the net Impedance becomes less than the least of the two. Pl check whether this value is acceptable for the amp/AVR. If it more than the recommended value than no issues, if it is less than it should not be connected.

Thanks,

N.Murali

Yes,your AVR must be having spk A & B opt.You can connect one spk to opt A & sec to B.
Start playing & with remote you can select A or B opt during playback.

Hi spirovious,
Unfortunately Onkyo AVR (HT-R518) hasn't got A/B speaker options. So can't go with your suggestion.
Thanks,

Hai Sonosphere,

If you connect two speakers together (in parallel) then the net Impedance becomes less than the least of the two. Pl check whether this value is acceptable for the amp/AVR. If it more than the recommended value than no issues, if it is less than it should not be connected.

Thanks,

N.Murali

Hi Murali,
Thanks for feedback. In case you know how to calculate the net impedance (or guide me to a weblink) please tell me.
Regards,

I think impedance calculation should be same as Resistance. 1/R = 1/R1+1/R2
Lower the impedance, higher the current sucked out of the amp - leading amp to get overheated, clip and give up.

regards

I think impedance calculation should be same as Resistance. 1/R = 1/R1+1/R2
Lower the impedance, higher the current sucked out of the amp - leading amp to get overheated, clip and give up.

regards

Considering above, would it help I just add a resistor of required value in series to the speakers? (speakers are already in parallel, ...hmm getting complicated here:() ... so that the total impedance is 8 Ohm which is required by my AVR.

Regards,

if youre connecting two speakers to one speaker output as murali said the impedence will go down. note that the amp will give higher output in wattage for lower impedence. so be careful not to crank it up or you could damage your speakers (i speak from experience)

hi,
will it help if you connect one onkyo speaker to right and one wharf to the left? it may probably give you some idea of sound (but not sound stage). even in a stereo recording, not all the notes differ between 2 channels. simple classical vocals may help. or may be you can play a mono recording. or , may be you can try arranging a demo piece of same model of onkyo AVR for comparison

Last edited:
hi,
will it help if you connect one onkyo speaker to right and one wharf to the left? it may probably give you some idea of sound (but not sound stage). even in a stereo recording, not all the notes differ between 2 channels. simple classical vocals may help. or may be you can play a mono recording. or , may be you can try arranging a demo piece of same model of onkyo AVR for comparison

Good idea for experiment's sake! I'll put the AVR in mono mode, so both channels will receive the same signal, and then put the different spkrs on diff channels.
Thanks,

I THINK op wants to run both the speaker sets simultaneously.

In that case ,he can connect 1spk to Rt & other to Lt directly.If imp doenst match ,still for short duration with lower vol,its possible.

If its AVR,he can also connect 1pair as front & 2nd as surr & select all ch stereo mode to get identical sound.He can try reversing spks in similar opt.

Back