Onkyo 3100 vs 3105 vs 5105

The 3105 and 3100 both have passive sub woofers. Unless you are on a budget stay off passive subwoofers for HT. They sound almost flat.

I went to their only outlet .. K'mangala and it is quoted at 26900/- all inclusive (including VAT)

Finally I have bought the 5105. I managed to get the same price at their store in Pune. Drove down from Mumbai and picked it up!!

Thanks guys for your valuable inputs, I could buy a better product at a very good price!

Its awesome!

Last edited:
Hello Reju,

Hows your 5105 doing!

I have bought the same system a couple of days back, They did not give me discount :( (i got it for 29.900).

I'm yet to buy a good DVD player and also connect my Cable, Xbox and DVD player to it and yet to fix the sourround speakers and set it up in the new TV cabinet. It may take another couple of days before I start with the auto calibration on this system.

Could you please share your experiance with this and let me know if there is anything I need to take care while setting this up? I shall share my experiance in sometime soon.

Hello Reju,

Hows your 5105 doing!

I have bought the same system a couple of days back, They did not give me discount :( (i got it for 29.900).

I'm yet to buy a good DVD player and also connect my Cable, Xbox and DVD player to it and yet to fix the sourround speakers and set it up in the new TV cabinet. It may take another couple of days before I start with the auto calibration on this system.

Could you please share your experiance with this and let me know if there is anything I need to take care while setting this up? I shall share my experiance in sometime soon.

Hi! I am enjoying my 5105.

Yes, I understand that the prices have gone up around last week of Dec.

I have experienced the following :
1. Audyssey set up is mandatory. Otherwise sound output is not at all Optimised. It should be done with minimal surrounding noises. I ran the auto set up late at night.

2. Subwoofer placement is important. I had initially (for a week)
placed it between 2 wooden cabinets, which resulted in distorted bass.

3. Follow the general instructions in manual for speaker placement.

As I enjoy listening to rock music, later (maybe a year) I plan add a pair of Polk Audio floor speakers @ approx 25K.

Hey,
I was going thru this thread...very informative :)
What to choose when it comes to speakers(for PC) when the requirements are music(70%) n movies(30%)..no gaming..
Music: all kinds... hard rock to sweet mellow hindi songs?

Initially I had planned to take Altec MX5021 (2.1) after Moserw, cranky and others helped me out (in another thread)
MX5021 is louder than AE2, hence I ruled out AE2
AE5 is better than MX5021 but I personally don't feel spending 20K on a 2.0 system is worth it.I auditioned my friend's 5021 which simply made me zero down on MX5021 for 2.1 (for Rs. 6.5K)

Now as I have a higher budget , I feel an entry level HTiB can be considered an option.
On various threads, lots of ppl have mentioned that music is best on 2.0/2.1 rather than 5.1. I couldn't interpret this statement... I mean I know I'll be running 5 speakers on stereo mode but how is that worse than stereo speakers...
Basically what i wanna ask is if Onkyo 3100 will deliver equal or better output in terms of quality as compared to MX5021 (for Music)?
Is it a good option to go for?

Thanks in advance..

Update: I have added a pair of Polk Audio: RTi A3 - Book shelf @ 19.5K. The best I could get for size & price. I could not accommodate towers due to space constraints.

Update: I have added a pair of Polk Audio: RTi A3 - Book shelf @ 19.5K. The best I could get for size & price. I could not accommodate towers due to space constraints.

Hi Reju,

Congrats on the new pair of FS, update me how is the performance of these speakers as i am also planning to upgrade in the next few months as i also have 5105.

The RTi A3 out performed a few entry level floor speakers. It has good clarity, depth and punch than any other book shelves in it's class. With the sub powered on, it does sound like good pair of floor speakers. Makes a world of difference for listening to music. Movies sound ever better!

The RTi A3 out performed a few entry level floor speakers. It has good clarity, depth and punch than any other book shelves in it's class. With the sub powered on, it does sound like good pair of floor speakers. Makes a world of difference for listening to music. Movies sound ever better!

I am very new to this and trying to learn. Are you saying you already have 5105 with speakers and sub-woofer and then bought polk audio speakers and connected to the same system? So you have 7 speakers now?

No, not 7 speakers. only 5.1 speakers. I had to remove the original Onkyo rear (L+R) speakers from the system, as they were the weakest link.

5105 does not have speaker A/B option. otherwise the Polk could go on the on speaker B for stereo output. If you would like it that way. Not my choice though.

Reju,

If I remember correctly there was a query about the 5105 not decoding DTS or something similar. Any updates on that front?

Reju,

If I remember correctly there was a query about the 5105 not decoding DTS or something similar. Any updates on that front?

I see in the Onkyo India website that it decodes DTS Neo:6 5.1, DTS 96/24 and Dolby Pro Logic II

Thanks,
Prakash.

No, not 7 speakers. only 5.1 speakers. I had to remove the original Onkyo rear (L+R) speakers from the system, as they were the weakest link.

5105 does not have speaker A/B option. otherwise the Polk could go on the on speaker B for stereo output. If you would like it that way. Not my choice though.

Got it. Thanks.
From all the posts I have read in last 2 days I think buying separate player, receiver, speakers and cables is the way to go if you want quality in both movies and music.
I am moving into a new house in a few months. I'll do more research and then come up with a combination.

Folks
I started out with HTS 5105 in mind and did some reading on it in these forums. Now looks like HTS 5100 is much better system. Onkyo AVR 606 has got even better features and is more future compatible. It has features like Video upscaling and upconversion, though these come at higher price. Just the reciever itself costs Rs. 40K

Am finally narrowing it down to Onkyo AVR 575. Plan to supplement these with Custom Onkyo Tallboy stereo speakers. Please share your opinion/experience with this AVR system.

Hi cool,

Dont go with Onkyo speakers. Look at speakers like Wharfedale,Mission,polk,jamo etc.

cheers,
sri

amen to that, speakers are not Onkyo's strong suite, and some of their speakers are downright horrible, so go with any of the brands that srikar mentioned, also consider PSB.

Hi cool,

Dont go with Onkyo speakers. Look at speakers like Wharfedale,Mission,polk,jamo etc.

cheers,
sri

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back