Onkyo 5100 Demo Piece on discount

Hi All.....I am getting an offer for a Onkyo 5100 demo piece. The sales person said that he'll give it to me at something around Rs.32K.

I feel this demo piece is there in use since long (probably a year or so). What do you ppl suggest. Should I go for it. If yes, what price I should quoate for it. Pls guide me.

Price is OK or try for more discount as suggested.
Dont worry abt Demo piece as its not LCD/TV.
Htibs are run on people demands & not always as TV.
Get warrenty too.

Okay....the picture is more clear now......I stay in Bangalore and this one is from one of my neighourhood mall.

The demo piece is not only old but have two problems also which the sales person told me very honestly.

1. Both the front speakers need some repair as the voice crumbles on higher volume. Voice is good at low or middle level volume. I played it at more volume then what I'ld play at my home and there was no distortion in voice. He said that the warranty of one year from the date of purchase will be there and I can get the fronts repaired under warranty without any cost.
2. Edges of subwoofer doesn't look like new because of minor scratches over there.

The final price that he is quoting is Rs. 22K with one year warranty.

pls guide friends:sad:

1. Both the front speakers need some repair as the voice crumbles on higher volume. V
2. Edges of subwoofer doesn't look like new because of minor scratches over there.

pls guide friends:sad:

From 32 to 22k?So problem may be in AVR as spk shld crackle occassionally @ lower vol too.Try connecting same spk with another AVR & run louder.
Secondly AVR connect to another spk(you need frnts only & same procedure.

Sub if working good no prob as we always hide it.Trying wax polish may give better look.:)

another option that I am contemplating along with this is to go for new seal packed Denon 390 at Rs. 29.9K.........which one you guys think wil be better option.

From 32 to 22k?So problem may be in AVR as spk shld crackle occassionally @ lower vol too.Try connecting same spk with another AVR & run louder.
Secondly AVR connect to another spk(you need frnts only & same procedure.

Sub if working good no prob as we always hide it.Trying wax polish may give better look.:)

Thanks a ton for your quick reply buddy. Actually he had never quoted 32K. That was my guess based on the conversation we had yesday. Though he said that there isn't an problem in avr and I am tempting to trust him seeing his honesty over the period of time I had interactions with that sales guy, the idea suggested by you is great. I'll definately give it a try tomorrow.

5100 can be powerful than Den390 for mov.Its 7.1 too.
So listen,think & decide.

Last edited:
See if you are getting Warranty why bother...buy it. You can always claim warranty and you never know get a new replacement piece if the AVR is real faulty.
22K seems good price to get with Warranty.....
Buy it and within a week take it to onkyo service center and harp your problems until you are satisfied and everything is working upto your expectations.
You may just save 10K...:yahoo:

Well I had bought a demo piece from reliance digital this month. It was hardly used piece and even the speaker had new look n feel to it by just looking at them. The edges of wooden speaker had fine wooden edges and opening the grill didnt had dust as well with the grill itself quite clean.

It dint look as if it was cleaned regularly to show to customers... and as it is these systems dont work overtime in these stores for demo purposes either.

I bought it for 32k and is worth every penny... there isnt a single problem anywhere earlier or now when i am using it at even vol= 60 levels!

You are getting it for 22k and thats a really good deal coz the avr is worth that amount... pick it up.. get it serviced if needed coz you are covered!

Cheers.
Vishu

Well I had bought a demo piece from reliance digital this month. It was hardly used piece and even the speaker had new look n feel to it by just looking at them. The edges of wooden speaker had fine wooden edges and opening the grill didnt had dust as well with the grill itself quite clean.

It dint look as if it was cleaned regularly to show to customers... and as it is these systems dont work overtime in these stores for demo purposes either.

I bought it for 32k and is worth every penny... there isnt a single problem anywhere earlier or now when i am using it at even vol= 60 levels!

You are getting it for 22k and thats a really good deal coz the avr is worth that amount... pick it up.. get it serviced if needed coz you are covered!

Cheers.
Vishu

Thanks Vishu for the suggestion. U must be very happy with your purchase as there isn't any problem. I haven't heard many HTiBs apart from Onkyo 3100/3200/5100 and Denon 1707. I hope Onkyo 5100 gives a good sound quality and I won't have to look for other options atleast for coming 2 yrs.

Enjoy :)

See if you are getting Warranty why bother...buy it. You can always claim warranty and you never know get a new replacement piece if the AVR is real faulty.
22K seems good price to get with Warranty.....
Buy it and within a week take it to onkyo service center and harp your problems until you are satisfied and everything is working upto your expectations.
You may just save 10K...:yahoo:

Thanks dude.....this thought never crossed my mind but if it really happens, there is nothing like that.....:yahoo: though I pray that such situation doesn't arise........else even before getting a new piece my angry half will kill me for buying a demo piece :p

Thanks dude.....this thought never crossed my mind but if it really happens, there is nothing like that.....:yahoo: though I pray that such situation doesn't arise........else even before getting a new piece my angry half will kill me for buying a demo piece :p

Well generally service centres repair AVR & mostly no replacement.
In Mumabi ,Onk service is good.They try repairing OR replace the brds which they feel faulty.
still no prob,wish spk are OK.:licklips:

Happy to hear about the price . But I am really afraid and very much bothered about repairing the Onkyo set.............

Sorry to say that .... still I have to say the right thing.....

Never go for a faulty or some thing which comes with manufacturing defect.....

I am fan of using japanese products because they have great reliability than any other german , american ...

Good examples are honda , toyota are more reliable than Benz, BMW , Audi..

Sony and panasonic are more reliable than any philips, apple ipod...

Yamaha and honda are more reliable than any bajaj or hardley davidson..

We do have service centers for all the above items..

I personally own yamaha and honda bikes.... I had very bad experience with servicing those ... As the service people lacks technology to fix the problem...

I wish same thing will never happen to any one...... Especially. for u my friend..

THink twice better u can think thrice before u go for it... Onkyo 5100 is really a good deal......

Guys.......here is the disappointment of the day.......probably some other guy who was a quick decesion maker unlike me asking ppl on net (or he might be following our thread :( )
When I went to the mall today evening, the salesguy informed that just some times back somebody came and paid 22K for that system.
I was completely disapponted and think committed another mistake because of that.

As I didn't get anything I wanted (Onkyo 5100 for 22K or Denon 1707 receiver for 10K).....I asked the sales guy to show me something else where u have offers and I landed at this Sensei 5.1 speakers set. The subwoofer is an active one costing around 10K remainining set of 5 speakers all 175 W RMS costing around 14K. He offered me this set at 15K.

I took a brief demo with music with Onkyo 304 receiver and found the sound quality impressive. Paid 15K in full and waiting for the delivery tom.

Now will have to buy an AVR which can drive these speakers.

Very sorry to hear that as 5100 was powerful than 304,still dont worry you got your own new AVR.
Congrates...:clapping:

Very sorry to hear that as 5100 was powerful than 304,still dont worry you got your own new AVR.
Congrates...:clapping:

No buddy.........i paid 15K just for 5.1 set Sensei speakers...I took the demo and liked the sound.....all speakers are 175 watt RMS and 8 oms......except subwoofer which is an active one with probably 200 watt RMS (don't remember exactly).....this price is for a seal packed new speakers set and I really liked the soun quality also. But after returning back home when read the review about Sensei products, I got to know that this is some chinese product having low quality and life. They are to deliver the set by tody evening but I am little disappointed after reading the Sensei review.

For Onkyo 304 receiver (Demo piece) they were asking for 10K more. But I didn't buy that one first coz it was under powered and it doesn't have HDMI passthough.

Pls suggest which avr to go for with this set of speakers.

For Onkyo 304 receiver (Demo piece) they were asking for 10K more. But I didn't buy that one first coz it was under powered and it doesn't have HDMI passthough.

Pls suggest which avr to go for with this set of speakers.

Well HDMI passthru does nothing but works only as switch.No aud processing.
100w is not bad as it is from ONKYO.I heard it with Onk pack & was very impressive.I cant say much abt sensei as its not so known here.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back