Onkyo 616 - Can you play music from USB while watching TV?

tanmayj

Can I play music on a USB disk connected to the Onkyo without having to watch the Onkyo's display (track artist, elapsed time etc.) on the TV screen? Can I route the TV signal to the TV screen whilst playing music from the USB?

I thought of assigning the HDMI In from the STB to Zone 2, and using the second HDMI out from the Onkyo to connect to the TV, but the issue with this is that I don't have speakers assigned to Zone 2, which means I wouldn't be able to route audio to the speakers if required.

Any more bright ideas are most welcome.

There are many times when I watch TV (without audio) while listening to songs in a USB drive plugged into my Onkyo TX-NR 616 receiver.

Currently my connections are as follows:

Set Top Box HDMI Out --> TV HDMI INput 1
Set Top Box Optical Out -> Onkyo Optical Input 1
Onkyo TX-NR 616 HDMI Out --> TV HDMI INput 2

With this arrangement I can watch TV independent of the Onkyo, and I switch on the Onkyo when I'm watching movies etc. which have 5.1 Audio. Also, this allows me to listen to music on the Onkyo and watch the TV via the STB --> TV HDMI connection independently.

I am not using the Onkyo's HDMI Passthrough because then I wouldn't be able to watch TV while listening to other music on the AVR (and of-course because Airtel doesnt pass Dolby through HDMI :mad:)

yes you can..
Select usb output in avr so you can listen to music from avr.
and select tv hdmi input to hdmi1 so you can view tv from stb.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back