Onkyo 876 at 400GBP??

Raghav

I am getting this AVR at Richer Sounds for 400GBP i.e.Rs27000. Should I go for this one or the new ones are far superior?

I was considering Denon 1910 / Denon 2310 / Marantz 5004 / 6004. But this Onkyo 876 looks a steal for 400GBP. Does it lack anything major from the new models.

My parents are in London and should be able to get it without any duty or freight.

The 876 is a monster. At 400 GBP it is a steal and is cheaper than in Dubai, where it is selling for an equivalent of 500 GBP.

Though it is a 2008 model, it is a very decent receiver and decodes all the latest audio / video formats. Only thing is it does not support HDMI 1.4 which is not such a major issue considering the fact that HDMI 1.4 just adds audio return and 3D support.

However, the 876 is very heavy and weighs close to 30 Kgs when packed. It also runs very hot so you will need to keep it well ventilated (should NOT be kept in enclosed shelf) and possibly add an external A/V cooler or fans to keep it cool.

What speakers are you planning to drive them with?

Last edited:
Weight is not an issue as they had 70 kgs free when they left for UK.

Speakers in mind was PSB Image B6 based 5.1 or MS Aviano 5.1.

Is the onkyo overkill? if yes then i will go for a new AVR with 3D compromising on the amp section.

The 876 is a monster. At 400 GBP it is a steal and is cheaper than in Dubai, where it is selling for an equivalent of 500 GBP.

Though it is a 2008 model, it is a very decent receiver and decodes all the latest audio / video formats. Only thing is it does not support HDMI 1.4 which is not such a major issue considering the fact that HDMI 1.4 just adds audio return and 3D support.

However, the 876 is very heavy and weighs close to 30 Kgs when packed. It also runs very hot so you will need to keep it well ventilated (should NOT be kept in enclosed shelf) and possibly add an external A/V cooler or fans to keep it cool.

What speakers are you planning to drive them with?

steal for abt 30K

i own the 875 ,though use it only as a pre for HT ,theres not much diff with 876

for music its average do not expect anything like a stereo amp

also depends from what you are upgrading from ,to the 876

good for HT

drawbacks--
heats up quiet a bit
protection mode kicks in quiet early especially for HD audio, if you are planning to use it in a dedicated room and expect to take it to very high levels it will not deliver, u need to think of the 9 series either 905/906

the 9 sereies are better built they have a toroidal transformer one each for audio and video

all these models have been replaced by

1007 for 876/875
3007 for 9 series
5007 top end

I am upgrading from Zero. Actually I had a yamaha HTiB in my bedroom which was useless. Now that I have moved to a new house, I am setting up my bedroom and a dedicated HT room with totally new setups.

This Onkyo is for the HT room. My previous choice was Pioneer VSX-23TXH / Denon 2310.

For my room, I have finalised Quad 11L2 paired with Marantz 6004 if I go for 5.1 or Marantz 7001 if I go for 2.0

steal for abt 30K

i own the 875 ,though use it only as a pre for HT ,theres not much diff with 876

for music its average do not expect anything like a stereo amp

also depends from what you are upgrading from ,to the 876

good for HT

drawbacks--
heats up quiet a bit
protection mode kicks in quiet early especially for HD audio, if you are planning to use it in a dedicated room and expect to take it to very high levels it will not deliver, u need to think of the 9 series either 905/906

the 9 sereies are better built they have a toroidal transformer one each for audio and video

all these models have been replaced by

1007 for 876/875
3007 for 9 series
5007 top end

I am upgrading from Zero. Actually I had a yamaha HTiB in my bedroom which was useless. Now that I have moved to a new house, I am setting up my bedroom and a dedicated HT room with totally new setups.

This Onkyo is for the HT room. My previous choice was Pioneer VSX-23TXH / Denon 2310.

For my room, I have finalised Quad 11L2 paired with Marantz 6004 if I go for 5.1 or Marantz 7001 if I go for 2.0

its a great first buy @ abt 27k you will definetly like the AVR for movies
but since its a dedicated room u cud look @ the next level rather than a latter upgrade

no doubt u will be happy with the 876 ,pair it with higher db spkr which are easy to drive

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back