Onkyo AVR is dead; new AVR or switch to soundbar?

rajneeshmakhija

My setup included and Onkyo TX SR-608, Polk Audio PSW10 (subwoofer), Polk Audio CS10 (centre) and Polk Audio Monitor 30B surrounds. Everything was bought circa 2010 and I carried it back with me from the US.

Unfortunately, the Onkyo is died around a year back. I now have no sound output, owing to an HDMI issue. There have been a few complaints with this generation of Onkyo's and HDMI board replacement is the only option; except that HDMI boards are not easily available. Specially not in India.

Regardless, I've decided to revive my hobby, after a long gap. And, faced with a few options, I would benefit from the suggestions from this group

1. Replace the AVR: The Denon AVR-X1400H appears to be a good replacement. I'm open to suggestions, of course. However;
  • I don't know if the speakers are functional (it's been a year since the Onkyo died).
  • Wife believes that the living room deserves something "light"; the Polk Audio speakers are quite large and definitely don't look modern
  • I've never quite perfected the setup, given that the speakers have been mounted close to the ceiling. Always thought the sound stage was a few feet above my head.
2. Sell the speakers and get a soundbar: Something like the Philips Fidelio B5/12
  • New; therefore should be trouble free for a few years
  • Sleek and modern will keep the living room looking young
  • Detachable surrounds; again uncluttered, clean appearance to the room
  • Lighter speakers; so I get to mount them directionally.
My usage is 50:50 on music:movies. So, I do need an all-rounder, even if it's not the best at either.

Suggestions and inputs will be incredibly helpful. TIA!

Thanks @surfatwork

The Polk Audio Monitor 30B are bookshelves. So, I guess your suggestion is to replace the AVR. Any recommendations?
Oops, sorry missed that you already the 30b.

If aesthetics are important, and the 30bs are dominating your room, you could consider replacing the AVR and adding a set from QAcoustics. Had an extended session with them at a friend's place abroad, and they sound very good. Very reasonably priced too. https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/shop/home-cinema-speakers.html

I am in the same boat. my Onkyo TX SR703 died on me sometime back and I am in the market looking for a replacement/upgrade.Its gonna be either 1400H or 2400H as I wanna have a 2 sub setup in future, not too fussed about atmos.

Highly recommend you to ditch the idea of soundbar.

If you are hunting for a Denon then do let me know if you find a good deal.

There are a couple of AVRs i believe in the For Sale by Owner section which would have the dual sub option....

I am in the same boat. my Onkyo TX SR703 died on me sometime back and I am in the market looking for a replacement/upgrade.Its gonna be either 1400H or 2400H as I wanna have a 2 sub setup in future, not too fussed about atmos.

Highly recommend you to ditch the idea of soundbar.

If you are hunting for a Denon then do let me know if you find a good deal.

One of the forum members has a dealership in Chennai. Marantx 1608 on offer for 50k, which I think is a great deal. Unfortunately, have been hit by unexpected expenses this month, so, I'll only be thinking about this in Aug/Sep now.

Let me know if the Chennai contact will help you.

One of the forum members has a dealership in Chennai. Marantx 1608 on offer for 50k, which I think is a great deal. Unfortunately, have been hit by unexpected expenses this month, so, I'll only be thinking about this in Aug/Sep now.

Let me know if the Chennai contact will help you.
Thats an awesome deal but 50w output is a bit too low for me. Even i may push my plan to next month. Got few links of Denon dealers in Delhi but going there to pick it up is a pain. Thanks for sharing the info.

UPDATE:

Received a Bose ST300 + Acoustimass + Invisible(2) as a gift from my wife. As a result, I will be putting up my old setup for sale.

UPDATE:

Received a Bose ST300 + Acoustimass + Invisible(2) as a gift from my wife. As a result, I will be putting up my old setup for sale.
Congratulations. Would be nice if you could post pics and share your initial impressions. Does Bose have any setup configuration? Not many Bose setups on the forum.

MaSh

Congratulations. Would be nice if you could post pics and share your initial impressions. Does Bose have any setup configuration? Not many Bose setups on the forum.

MaSh

Thanks MaSh!

The Bose setup is extremely simple. Just place the speakers and run the setup process wearing the supplied hear gear. No configurations at all! Not for the geek/nerd crowd.

For movie viewing, the setup is good. The sound bar encompasses the center channel, as well as the right and left channels. The advanced engineering is evident; one can hear bullets whizzing across the screen. During the initial runs, sound bouncing off the walls took me by surprise. The surrounds are wireless, and I was surprised by the lack of delay in reproducing the sounds. The subwoofer is connected wirelessly too, and lacks the depth that my Polk Audio PSW10 provided. Regretfully, there are no configurations that the user can tweak. Apparently, Bose knows best.

Overall, I'm impressed with the clarity that the compact package provides. It does not fill up the sound stage as well as my earlier setup, but that's just me nitpicking. I'm quite enjoying the minimalist look the Bose brings, after nearly a decade of having voluminous speakers at the four corners of my living room.

Thanks MaSh!

The Bose setup is extremely simple. Just place the speakers and run the setup process wearing the supplied hear gear. No configurations at all! Not for the geek/nerd crowd.

For movie viewing, the setup is good. The sound bar encompasses the center channel, as well as the right and left channels. The advanced engineering is evident; one can hear bullets whizzing across the screen. During the initial runs, sound bouncing off the walls took me by surprise. The surrounds are wireless, and I was surprised by the lack of delay in reproducing the sounds. The subwoofer is connected wirelessly too, and lacks the depth that my Polk Audio PSW10 provided. Regretfully, there are no configurations that the user can tweak. Apparently, Bose knows best.

Overall, I'm impressed with the clarity that the compact package provides. It does not fill up the sound stage as well as my earlier setup, but that's just me nitpicking. I'm quite enjoying the minimalist look the Bose brings, after nearly a decade of having voluminous speakers at the four corners of my living room.

Congrats on your setup......nice review to the point....post some pics

Thanks MaSh!

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm also looking for a similar set up. Can you let me know how much did the setup cost? Did they charge you extra for the wall brackets, I'm assuming the soundbar is fitted on the wall beneath your TV ? Please share the pics of your setup. Also instead of the Acoustimass did you check out the Bose Bass Module which is almost half the cost of Acoustimass?

@efernand1 @zoozoo and others,

Pics will be posted in a while. Thing is, we're having the room renovated, and right now it's a mess.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to sell my older Polk Audio speaker setup to someone who would appreciate it. Unfortunately, I still qualify as a New Member on here, so cannot post to the classifieds. And, I'm getting some really lowball offers on Olx/Quikr and ilk.

So, if you, or anyone you know, is looking for a nice setup, please let me know.

Thanks!

Can you let me know how much did the setup cost?
It was a surprise gift, so I don't have the exact prices. But I believe the the 5.1 setup goes for 1.67L. Discounts are available over this price.

Did they charge you extra for the wall brackets, I'm assuming the soundbar is fitted on the wall beneath your TV ?
Haven't added the wall brackets yet. But yes, they are extra.

Please share the pics of your setup.
Soon, we've taken up some renovation. And, it's messy right now.

Also instead of the Acoustimass did you check out the Bose Bass Module which is almost half the cost of Acoustimass?
Never got a chance, since my wife decided to surprise me.[/QUOTE]

@efernand1 @zoozoo and others,

Pics will be posted in a while. Thing is, we're having the room renovated, and right now it's a mess.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to sell my older Polk Audio speaker setup to someone who would appreciate it. Unfortunately, I still qualify as a New Member on here, so cannot post to the classifieds. And, I'm getting some really lowball offers on Olx/Quikr and ilk.

So, if you, or anyone you know, is looking for a nice setup, please let me know.

Thanks!

Hi

Check forum rules, in order to qualify to post an ad, you need to have a minimum number of posts / replies to threads done.....then you can post.

Can you PM me the OLX ad you posted? Let me have a look....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back