Onkyo & Cirus Logic DAC

spirovious

Hi,

I have basic ONKYO avr.
Today when I tried to on it,it refused.I thought of serious problem.
Then I took chance,I opened it(No warrenty) & cleaned dust.
To my surprice it worked.

Before that I found Cirus Logic chip on digital input board(coax).

No- CS494003-CQZ
129964-001
EFWABXKY0519

Is it DAC? Does Onkyo use CL DAC for all there AVRs?
How good this chip is?

Pls. share.

Before that I found Cirus Logic chip on digital input board(coax).
No- CS494003-CQZ 129964-001 EFWABXKY0519
Is it DAC? Does Onkyo use CL DAC for all there AVRs? How good this chip is?

It is not a DAC.

The CS494003 is a audio decoder that decodes Dolby and DTS signals. You can get more details at

CS49400 Audio DSP Family

And yes, Onkyo does use Cirrus Logic DACs for all their AVRs.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi, I got one more ciruss chip- CS42518-CQZ & it looks like all in one chip The chip mentioned in the bigining of thread is CS494003-CQZ which decodes 7.1 audio ,but my AVR is 5.1 only. I cld locate 7ch output from this chip & may rear ch are mixed with surr sides.

Spiro, the CS494003 can actually process 12 input channels and 16 output channels. Similarly the CS42518 has 8 output channels after DAC processing. For a chip manufacturer, adding a few channels is easy and they will usually try to maximise the output of the chip,. It then depends upon the integrator (such as Onkyo) to provide how many ever channels he wants. If you look at a 5.1 and 7.1 receiver form Onkyo, they may both have the same chip inside.

Cheers

Spiro, the CS494003 can actually process 12 input channels and 16 output channels. Similarly the CS42518 has 8 output channels after DAC processing. For a chip manufacturer, adding a few channels is easy and they will usually try to maximise the output of the chip,. It then depends upon the integrator (such as Onkyo) to provide how many ever channels he wants. If you look at a 5.1 and 7.1 receiver form Onkyo, they may both have the same chip inside.

Cheers

Thanks, is this actual DAC of my AVR?
I found 2 more chips-

1.MXE051496
2.M30622HGP-236FP

I have 1 Q on decoding process-

On PCB ,DAC chipCS494003-CQZ(spdf input) is close to SPDF input & decoder CS42518-CQZ is next to it.
Does it meen when digital signal is input ,1st to act is DAC which turns digital to analoge(5.1 out) then decoder works?

Speci of DAC chipCS494003-CQZ says it has Spdf input meens signal 1st enters to this chip ,get converted to ana5.1 ,then enters Decoder chipCS42518-CQZ ,which applies DD/Dts effect,How?

Once DAC acts,then how DD/DTs processing is possible?

Spiro, don't look at the specs of these chips and get worried, The DAC is always the last step before the signal is amplified. All the digital processing, conversion, and transfer is done before that. Once the signal becomes analogue, you can only amplify it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back