Onkyo HT-S3100 vs Yamaha YHT-195

lostincrowd

Hi,

Planning for an HTIB, with budget of 25K. 70% music and 30% movies. I listen to Indian music (film songs and classical, ghazals etc). I am not an audiophile and I am Ok with MP3 :)

I have a DVD player Philips DVP5986K.

I have shortlisted Onkyo HT-S3100 and Yamaha YHT-195. Yamaha is little expensive and sounded having more punch. It has an active subwoofer, and HDMI connectvity (only video)

Can you suggest which one is better? Also, please suggest a dealer in Bangalore for Yamaha. I did audition in Mumbai but I am living in Bangalore.

Thanks

hi buddy

in this range my suggeston are:

AV reciever yamaha rx-v363 around 16k
wharfedale moviestar 65+ speakers around 14k

this combination is much much better than the latter.

Thanks for your reply. But the suggested one goes beyond my budget. Will it make sense to start with two bookshelf and add a sub later? I am not too worried about the surround now. I will consider that when I upgrade my TV.

regards

hey lostin,
i guess u checked out one of the thread here.
I recenlty got a onkyo 3100,its worth for the money,but as every one knows,its just good for the movie exp not that real good for your 70% music need.
But if you decide for a good movie exp,its got some punch my friend!
The Amp in the package is real worth for that money
Think over
Vj

Just curious, while the amp is good, where is it lacking the 'musicality'? Would better speakers make it sound better in stereo?

Just curious, while the amp is good, where is it lacking the 'musicality'? Would better speakers make it sound better in stereo?

Musicality is a very broad term. In players and amplification, musicality can refer to sound stage, clarity, depth, and a lot of other terms. When listening to stereo music, audiophiles worry about a lot of things - how well does the instruments support the singer, whether the singer's voice sounds sweet, whether they can hear the music from the middle of the two speakers - in other words can the speakers disappear, ear fatigue (how long can you hear music continuously), can they hear all the instruments in a orchestral number, can they imagine the ambiance of the recording, etc.

It is a general belief that HTIBs and AVRs cannot re-produce music as well as a combination of CD players and two channel amplifiers can do.

HTIBs and AVRs have to amplify 6 or eight channels of sound, as well as handle the video processing. Their sound processing leans more towards dialogues and movies music and movies sounds. A CDP/2 Channel amp, on the other hand focus on just two channels of music and they try to reproduce the music with clarity. The recording and mixing of CD is also done in such a way that the 'musicality' is apparent. DVD mixing is tuned more towards movies. Here dialogues, and sound to support special effects are emphasised. In addition, HTIBs, AVR, and DVD have to lay extra stress on low frequency to play sounds of bombs, thunder etc realistically. Such needs do not exist in simple music.

To keep the prices reasonable, something has to go. It is generally felt that the clarity and cleanness of a CDP/two channel amp can never be re-created by either a HTIB or an AVR.

It is not just the speakers or amp alone. It is a combination of the two with well recorded CDs that go to give you 'musicality'

Many people (like me) deal with the two separately. They use a CDP/2 channel amp for music, and a DVD/AVR independently for movies. All this, of course, depends upon your interest and budget.

Listen to the equipment you have chosen with both DVD and a music CD. if you like what you are hearing, that is what you should have.

Wow, that's nicely put venkatcr. Thanks for explaining.

I'll take a demo once again with my favorite audio CD and a Movie DVD.

Cheers

Just saw a e-zone add
Onkyo - TXSR 304 E AV receiver + 2 floor standing + center + 2 surrounds (all onkyo speakers 4700 series i guess) for 29K (mrp 59k).
Also listed here Compare India - Hot Deals - Electronics - Ezone Exclusives. Although it is ambiguous as it mentions nothing about speakers, news paper ads have a mention and snap of speakers.

Seems to be good deal...

As far as I know the speakers offerred as part of this package are the Jamo 406 combo of floorstanding fronts, bookshelf rears and a center. Obviously not high-end by any stretch, but still tremendous value for money. I honestly doubt there's a better value home theater option for the same cash. Add 10k for a Jamo sub.

Hi Guys,
Is this Onkyo-Jamo offer still there in ezone?
If yes, few more questions :) :
How is the performance without subwoofer? Is it possible to deliver the full bass to front speakers, I mean something like 5 instead of 5.1 in the receiver? so that we wont feel one channel of pure bass is not getting utilised and we may loose something.
How is thee stereo music performance?

hey lostin,
i guess u checked out one of the thread here.
I recenlty got a onkyo 3100,its worth for the money,but as every one knows,its just good for the movie exp not that real good for your 70% music need.
But if you decide for a good movie exp,its got some punch my friend!
The Amp in the package is real worth for that money
Think over
Vj

Sir can you clarify which one is better among SR 304 E and HT R 340 SUPPLIED with HT-3100S

the receiver which comes with the package can only handle a passive sub,as it powers the sub.where as the other receiver is a standalone one which has a sub out.

Vj

the receiver which comes with the package can only handle a passive sub,as it powers the sub.where as the other receiver is a standalone one which has a sub out.

Vj

4 days ago, I found Jamo406 set of 5 speakers costing Rs.16990/-
and
Onkyo SKS 4700(B)(Rs8990) + SKF 4700(B) CENTER/SURROUND PACKAGE (Rs4005) (Total cost Rs.12995/-)
Please advise which one is better for Onkyo SR 304E or Marantz-3001
There is diffrence of Rs 4000/- between the two.

As I have to take decision within THIS week.
I have listened Jamo in the listening room(very small) and it was good but as Onkyo 4700 were placed in a big hall (Big bazaar), I could not compare the two.
Planning to add a SUB later on

ABHILASH

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back