onkyo HT-S3300 V/s Yamaha YHT-292

phanikondaveti

Hi,

I am planning to go for a HTIB and had enquired about onkyo HTS-3300 and Yamaha YHT-292

Both are almost in the same price range and the only major difference I know is Yamaha provides active woofer where as onkyo passive.

Please let me know which one should I choose among these two and the reasons.

Thanks,
Phani

I had auditioned both of them a month back. Somehow to my ears (read inexperienced) YHT sounded better than Onkyo. I tried playing similar content on Onkyo and YHT and somehow felt the YHT to sound better. Yet to go for my kill as I was advised to go and re-audition with the content I will be using it for - movies and Audio content that I play. Also had learnt in the forum that Onkyo has far more futuristic HD Audio formats processing as compared to Yamaha.

Prices quoted in Gurgaon, YHT 292 at 26K Onkyo HTS3300 25K.

yht is outdated
also i wrote manty times onkyo and yamaha speakers are not great shake
so buy a AVR + decent speaker package ....but budget may be an issue

Even I was hunting for the same answer. Have gone through lots of discussions and threads in this forum. There are aptly pointed responses favoring onkyo hts3300 for the future technology it supports but some reading on the net and I seem to have found a favorable feature (present tech) which for me is important and is missing in Onkyo hts 3300 - Dolby Prologic II. Seems this processing ability allows a receiver to convert (or maybe simulate) stereo sound into 5.1 sound. With most of the audio resources I will play - DVD and DVD rips, FM radio, Audio and MP3 CDs, standard TV output, I would love to have them played on 5.1. So looks like Onkyo may get a thumbs down from me. I would love to hear from friends in the forum on my point of view.

As for YHT 292 I had auditioned it in a open showroom in Gurgaon almost a month back and did not find the speakers to be crappy (to my no-ob ears)

Recently i had a demo of Onkoyo S3400 (23k) and yamaha yht 292 (22000) .
honestly i felt yamaha sound quality is much better than onkoyo also the looks of the woofer were much better than onkoyo,
one more thing i noticed that wooffer of onkoyo was shaking (rather i should say way moving a quite alot on the flooring).
guys i went to the shop planning to buy onkoyo s3400 nd got diaspointed as well as more confused on wht to buy now with that limited budzet of 25k.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back