Recounting my experience of buying an HT on a budget

gourav

I have been enthusiastic about tech and gadgets since my childhood. A couple of years ago, for the first time I thought about getting a home theater. However, I soon had to move from Chennai to Mumbai and I dropped the idea for a while. Earlier in August this year, I once again started thinking about it. Initially I didn't want to spend too much, hence set my budget at 20-25k. I thought of getting an active 2.1 speaker system like an Edifier R1855DB or M-Audio AV32.1. But over the course of my research, my attention turned toward a 5.1 system instead.

Like many others on a tight budget, I too started loooking at HTiBs, Yamaha YHT-1840 being the first choice. I thought there would be other options in this range as well, hence I set my budget at 30-35k. However, I soon found that the availability was pretty poor and the HTiB itself wasn't a great choice either, especially from a long term perspective. Then I moved on to the thought of getting a proper HT, an AVR and a 5.1 package.

I thought about getting an AVR for 25k and speakers for 20k. Hence I increased my budget to 45-50k. Then I started looking around and saw that there were hardly any AVRs below 30k, cheapest being Denon X250BT, available at some places for 28-30k. I also failed to find any speaker packages below 30k, most of them were also out of stock. Meanwhile I kept reading that offline prices might be lower. Hence I started looking for stores to check out.

This is where things started to get frustrating. When I contacted stores and told them my budget, they immediately told me to get something for Rs. 80k and that nothing was available below that price. Most of them didn't show any interest after hearing my budget. A couple of them said they'd call back with options, but then didn't bother responding later. At this point I realised 50k might not be enough after all and increased my budget to 60k, deciding that this is the max I am going to spend on the audio experience. I also decided that if at all it is entirely not possible to get full HT in this budget, then I'll just build it part by part, starting with AVR+FCR.

I contacted one person with whom I had spoken to 2 years ago. He'd said he has some contacts for speaker & AVR sellers. He gave me the number of Mr. Jignesh Nishar who has a demo room in Jogeshwari. Mr. Nishar was more candid compared to other sellers, told me that while it's difficult to get full HT at 60k, he'll try his best to give me whatever options he can, including open box options if available. He then gave me a demo of Taga Azure B-40 and Cambridge Audio Minx Min22. I really liked the Taga and found the CA one to be unnecessarily expensive. I was leaning towards the Taga, which would cost me 18k for a total of 45k along with VSX-330 which costs 27k. This would leave me 15k for center and surrounds, postponing the sub for later. He also offered a Tannoy center+surrounds for 13k. He also had a Mission M-cube 5.1 set for 28k, of which he told me he would give a demo next week. This option really excited me as I would get a full HT for 55k. So I waited for next week.

Meanwhile, I looked at local options and found DNM Audio 5.1 set for around 22k. While these sounded pretty decent, they did not compare well to the Taga. The other problem with this set was the lack of any sort of warranty. So last Saturday I finally returned to Mr. Nishar's demo room to audition the Mission speakers. While I liked the set overall, the bass seemed considerably low especially in comparison to the DNM Audio set. The sound also didn't impress me much. I also evaluated a Tannoy opened box set (HTS 201) for 43k. Wasn't impressed with this either, and it was out of my budget as well. So I just let it go.

In the end, I realised one thing. While it is highly advisable to audition speakers to get a taste of what they sound like, it's really difficult for an inexperienced listener to judge the differences in sound. Taga Harmody Azure B-40 was the first pair I listened to, and I just fell in love with it so much that I couldn't like any other speaker set. I finally ended up buying a pair of the B-40s and went with Azure C-40 for the center channel.

I've been listening to this setup for a couple of days. The sound is just mesmerizing. And it will only improve as the speakers burn-in. I don't miss a sub-woofer very much as the B-40 has 6.5" woofers. I still do have a plan to add a sub later, as soon as I figure out how to setup my furniture for it. I have also got the DNM Tango 1 satellite speakers for surrounds, yet to plug it in though. These were cheap and helped me complete my setup without creating another major hole in my pocket. Along with the wires and the installation, it's likely to cost somewhere around 5.5k overall.

This post is just about recounting my journey of getting a home theater system. It's not about the listening experience. I'll be making another post with my impressions of the speakers once I have them fully setup and have listened to them for a while.

I have been enthusiastic about tech and gadgets since my childhood. A couple of years ago, for the first time I thought about getting a home theater. However, I soon had to move from Chennai to Mumbai and I dropped the idea for a while. Earlier in August this year, I once again started thinking about it. Initially I didn't want to spend too much, hence set my budget at 20-25k. I thought of getting an active 2.1 speaker system like an Edifier R1855DB or M-Audio AV32.1. But over the course of my research, my attention turned toward a 5.1 system instead.

Like many others on a tight budget, I too started loooking at HTiBs, Yamaha YHT-1840 being the first choice. I thought there would be other options in this range as well, hence I set my budget at 30-35k. However, I soon found that the availability was pretty poor and the HTiB itself wasn't a great choice either, especially from a long term perspective. Then I moved on to the thought of getting a proper HT, an AVR and a 5.1 package.

I thought about getting an AVR for 25k and speakers for 20k. Hence I increased my budget to 45-50k. Then I started looking around and saw that there were hardly any AVRs below 30k, cheapest being Denon X250BT, available at some places for 28-30k. I also failed to find any speaker packages below 30k, most of them were also out of stock. Meanwhile I kept reading that offline prices might be lower. Hence I started looking for stores to check out.

This is where things started to get frustrating. When I contacted stores and told them my budget, they immediately told me to get something for Rs. 80k and that nothing was available below that price. Most of them didn't show any interest after hearing my budget. A couple of them said they'd call back with options, but then didn't bother responding later. At this point I realised 50k might not be enough after all and increased my budget to 60k, deciding that this is the max I am going to spend on the audio experience. I also decided that if at all it is entirely not possible to get full HT in this budget, then I'll just build it part by part, starting with AVR+FCR.

I contacted one person with whom I had spoken to 2 years ago. He'd said he has some contacts for speaker & AVR sellers. He gave me the number of Mr. Jignesh Nishar who has a demo room in Jogeshwari. Mr. Nishar was more candid compared to other sellers, told me that while it's difficult to get full HT at 60k, he'll try his best to give me whatever options he can, including open box options if available. He then gave me a demo of Taga Azure B-40 and Cambridge Audio Minx Min22. I really liked the Taga and found the CA one to be unnecessarily expensive. I was leaning towards the Taga, which would cost me 18k for a total of 45k along with VSX-330 which costs 27k. This would leave me 15k for center and surrounds, postponing the sub for later. He also offered a Tannoy center+surrounds for 13k. He also had a Mission M-cube 5.1 set for 28k, of which he told me he would give a demo next week. This option really excited me as I would get a full HT for 55k. So I waited for next week.

Meanwhile, I looked at local options and found DNM Audio 5.1 set for around 22k. While these sounded pretty decent, they did not compare well to the Taga. The other problem with this set was the lack of any sort of warranty. So last Saturday I finally returned to Mr. Nishar's demo room to audition the Mission speakers. While I liked the set overall, the bass seemed considerably low especially in comparison to the DNM Audio set. The sound also didn't impress me much. I also evaluated a Tannoy opened box set (HTS 201) for 43k. Wasn't impressed with this either, and it was out of my budget as well. So I just let it go.

In the end, I realised one thing. While it is highly advisable to audition speakers to get a taste of what they sound like, it's really difficult for an inexperienced listener to judge the differences in sound. Taga Harmody Azure B-40 was the first pair I listened to, and I just fell in love with it so much that I couldn't like any other speaker set. I finally ended up buying a pair of the B-40s and went with Azure C-40 for the center channel.

I've been listening to this setup for a couple of days. The sound is just mesmerizing. And it will only improve as the speakers burn-in. I don't miss a sub-woofer very much as the B-40 has 6.5" woofers. I still do have a plan to add a sub later, as soon as I figure out how to setup my furniture for it. I have also got the DNM Tango 1 satellite speakers for surrounds, yet to plug it in though. These were cheap and helped me complete my setup without creating another major hole in my pocket. Along with the wires and the installation, it's likely to cost somewhere around 5.5k overall.

This post is just about recounting my journey of getting a home theater system. It's not about the listening experience. I'll be making another post with my impressions of the speakers once I have them fully setup and have listened to them for a while.

Nice post. I am sure it will help the others who are looking out for good systems within budget. Hearing and preferences is subjective and final call always needs to be taken by the end user as he would be the one listening and using that system at his place. Glad things worked out for you.

Great post. I am in a similar bucket as you were (building on a budget and relatively new to the experience). I am looking to set up my own HT system, but am still a few weeks/months away from pulling the trigger. I also read your other thread as I am in Mumbai and was putting together a list of places to speak to and demo, once the time comes.

Congratulations on the purchase & glad you're enjoying your setup.

Great post. I am in a similar bucket as you were (building on a budget and relatively new to the experience). I am looking to set up my own HT system, but am still a few weeks/months away from pulling the trigger. I also read your other thread as I am in Mumbai and was putting together a list of places to speak to and demo, once the time comes.

Congratulations on the purchase & glad you're enjoying your setup.
What's your budget? Do let me know, I can give you the numbers of a couple of people/places I spoke to who I think might be helpful.

Also, if you simply want to build it a few months from now, then it's fine. But if you're waiting in the hopes that prices will fall, then you might as well build it now. Most likely prices will only go up in the next few months.

What's your budget? Do let me know, I can give you the numbers of a couple of people/places I spoke to who I think might be helpful.

Also, if you simply want to build it a few months from now, then it's fine. But if you're waiting in the hopes that prices will fall, then you might as well build it now. Most likely prices will only go up in the next few months.
I don't expect prices to fall, I need to wait till I find an apartment, and it might be a while before that happens. I'll let you know on the budget closer to the date, but I am very eager to give first preference to our home grown Indian brands - the FMs' here have alot of praise for Indiqaudio, though I can't seem to find any quotes on their price range online.

You can send a mail to Indiq Audio for the prices. But it's based in Bangalore, so you'll have to travel for a demo.

In the end, I realised one thing. While it is highly advisable to audition speakers to get a taste of what they sound like, it's really difficult for an inexperienced listener to judge the differences in sound.
This is the Precise reason I ask the Newcomers to Listen to as many Setups as possible and locally available, especially with nearby FMs Setup instead of Demo Rooms. You'll learn a lot of things from Local FM community as opposed to visiting dealers with mostly commercial mindset.

Anyways Good Writeup, and Congratulations on Getting a HT of Your Choice!

Would like to post an update to this thread and hope that people notice.

My AVR stopped working 9 months in. It would show "CHECK SP WIRE" on the screen and shut down. Initially my seller was helpful, he got the AVR picked up and got it repaired. But not really as the issue was still there. He got it picked up again and returned it again without the issue having been resolved.

He got it picked up again. This time he kept stalling and delaying for 4 months, making excuses like parts haven't arrived from overseas. Eventually he told me the AVR couldn't be repaired and the company is offering me a replacement. But this model is no longer available, so I'll have to get a Denon X550BT and pay the difference of Rs. 25k.

At this point, this dealer had an Amazon listing of X550BT for 41k. He sells at his store at about 15% discount to Amazon prices, so the price really was 35k in his store, meaning I was being offered 10k discount for the AVR which was in warranty and had been bought for 32k just 9 months before it stopped working.

Needless to say, I refused. He returned the AVR the next day without repair. Since I was really frustrated, and busy with shifting my house, I did not get time to try the AVR for a while. Today when I finally plugged it in again, the AVR won't even switch on anymore.

So in conclusion, I gave my AVR for repair and got back a box in return after almost 9 months of back and forth.

Pioneer doesn't even have any contact in India from where I can get a resolution. When I search for Pioneer India, I get the contact details of Kripa Electronics, the same company where my dealer had sent the AVR in the first place. So there's no point contacting them anyway.

Earlier I knew the precise issue, but now I don't even know what the issue is. If I try to get it repaired, I'll probably end up spending 15-20k on it.

tl;dr
Got an open box AVR which developed issues in 9 months. Tried to get it repaired under warranty and got back a completely non-working AVR. Now my entire setup, which cost over 70k in total, is entirely useless.

Learnings:
  • Don't try to get a home theater if your budget is less than 1.5 Lakhs
  • Do not buy Pioneer home audio products
  • Do not buy from this person named Jignesh Nishar of S-grid Audio or AV Squad (same on Amazon) of Jogeshwari, Mumbai

Do not buy from this person named Jignesh Nishar of S-grid Audio or AV Squad (same on Amazon) of Jogeshwari, Mumbai

Was it seller's warranty? Then I dont see how is seller responsible for your bad experience especially when you spoke of him earlier in such good terms.

My AVR stopped working 9 months in. It would show "CHECK SP WIRE" on the screen and shut down. Initially my seller was helpful, he got the AVR picked up and got it repaired. But not really as the issue was still there. He got it picked up again and returned it again without the issue having been resolved.

He got it picked up again. This time he kept stalling and delaying for 4 months, making excuses like parts haven't arrived from overseas. Eventually he told me the AVR couldn't be repaired and the company is offering me a replacement. But this model is no longer available, so I'll have to get a Denon X550BT and pay the difference of Rs. 25k.

At this point, this dealer had an Amazon listing of X550BT for 41k. He sells at his store at about 15% discount to Amazon prices, so the price really was 35k in his store, meaning I was being offered 10k discount for the AVR which was in warranty and had been bought for 32k just 9 months before it stopped working.

Needless to say, I refused. He returned the AVR the next day without repair. Since I was really frustrated, and busy with shifting my house, I did not get time to try the AVR for a while. Today when I finally plugged it in again, the AVR won't even switch on anymore.

So in conclusion, I gave my AVR for repair and got back a box in return after almost 9 months of back and forth.

Pioneer doesn't even have any contact in India from where I can get a resolution. When I search for Pioneer India, I get the contact details of Kripa Electronics, the same company where my dealer had sent the AVR in the first place. So there's no point contacting them anyway.

Earlier I knew the precise issue, but now I don't even know what the issue is. If I try to get it repaired, I'll probably end up spending 15-20k on it.

tl;dr
Got an open box AVR which developed issues in 9 months. Tried to get it repaired under warranty and got back a completely non-working AVR. Now my entire setup, which cost over 70k in total, is entirely useless.

Learnings:
  • Do not buy from this person named Jignesh Nishar of S-grid Audio or AV Squad (same on Amazon) of Jogeshwari, Mumbai
It is really really sad to see when people experience something like this.
Do not give up. You have to file a complaint against the seller and Pioneer India. They have to repair your AVR and even extend the warrant for the time taken by them to repair it. If it is not repairable they have to change with a new one and if the model is discontinued they have to give a higher model as replacement or refund complete money back.
Just call on the number provided on the website https://consumerhelpline.gov.in/ 1800-11-4000 or 1915 or login your complaint online.
We all work very hard to earn money and then spend on the things we like and this is not the experience we want. Dealers and companies are making huge profits out of our hard earned money so they are bound to return it or fix the problem.
We will be waiting for your update on the complaint. I am sure you will get a solution in your favor.

tl;dr

Learnings:
Sad to hear this but the fact is that there are many such dealers out there who promise the world when it comes to sales and when it comes to support hardly or never provide anything. Most companies too also dont provide support for online purchases made over amazon etc. Honestly its a very tricky market and one must do all checks before any purchase be it new or pre owned. Remember not all apples in the basket are rotten. We only need to be careful & sharp!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back