Onkyo HT-S5100 vs Sony HT-DDW1600.

hold your horses reju, i visited the Onkyo shop with my very good friend dejavu007, we talked about the various combos and he has since then bought it....this is not second hand info or word of mouth.....He started off offering it for around 36k if i remember correctly, but then after much hard bargaining brought it down to 33k. So, you are wrong, i've not just "heard someone claim it". Neither is it "impossible"...it is eminently possible and a very good deal, which is why I am recommending it to people.

I only checked out the price and what they offer. Since I do not intend to buy there was no point bargaining. But the point is that they never offered 506. The package always included 304. And it will be impossible to get along with 506 for that bargain price of 33k, that too with speaker cables.

And how can you be sure? Have you purchased it or been quoted for it? I guess you have only heard someone claim it, right?

hold your horses reju, i visited the Onkyo shop with my very good friend dejavu007, we talked about the various combos and he has since then bought it....this is not second hand info or word of mouth.....He started off offering it for around 36k if i remember correctly, but then after much hard bargaining brought it down to 33k. So, you are wrong, i've not just "heard someone claim it". Neither is it "impossible"...it is eminently possible and a very good deal, which is why I am recommending it to people.

Horses? Neigh, my friend, I don't ride them!!

Whilst recommending, can you also support it by letting us know where it is currently available? name of dealer? tel no.?

If it is not possible to source it today, why give false hopes? What say?;)

this setup was purchased i think a month or two back from the Onkyo dealer on Kasturi Rangan Road in Alwarpet, you should be able to Google for the phone numbers.

I trust that is sufficient "support" for you reju, and don't mistake your inability to secure a bargain for actual unavailability....there's a vast difference between the two :)

Horses? Neigh, my friend, I don't ride them!!

Whilst recommending, can you also support it by letting us know where it is currently available? name of dealer? tel no.?

If it is not possible to source it today, why give false hopes? What say?;)

this setup was purchased i think a month or two back from the Onkyo dealer on Kasturi Rangan Road in Alwarpet, you should be able to Google for the phone numbers.

I trust that is sufficient "support" for you reju, and don't mistake your inability to secure a bargain for actual unavailability....there's a vast difference between the two :)

This "support" is not just for me but all users. Earlier today I spoke to the same dealer. They wouldn't offer 506 in the combo. Since you are in Chennai, can you re-check this from your side? Tel: 42111648, 42111649.

Last edited:
Ok just to clarify, this is not part of their standard packages, this is something that dejavu007 indicated as a preference to the Onkyo guys, when he liked the package with the 304, but wanted a more advanced AVR, and they put this offer together and gave it to him, after much bargaining. Obviously an offer like this is not something they will give out over the phone. Interested forum members can make a trip to the Onkyo dealer in Alwarpet and I don't see any reason why they shouldn't offer this deal. You might have to bargain hard for it though.

This "support" is not just for me but all users. Earlier today I spoke to the same dealer. They wouldn't offer 506 in the combo. Since you are in Chennai, can you re-check this from your side? Tel: 42111648, 42111649.

Ok just to clarify, this is not part of their standard packages, this is something that dejavu007 indicated as a preference to the Onkyo guys, when he liked the package with the 304, but wanted a more advanced AVR, and they put this offer together and gave it to him, after much bargaining. Obviously an offer like this is not something they will give out over the phone. Interested forum members can make a trip to the Onkyo dealer in Alwarpet and I don't see any reason why they shouldn't offer this deal. You might have to bargain hard for it though.

So now you do agree that the package is with 304:p
Did he get a brand new unit or from the display?:rolleyes:
Just FYI, as separates 304 costs 21k and 506 costs 29k :cool:

reju you really need to do your research....the 304 is available for 12k.....and the 506 for around or under 20k.....

and if what i talked about is not a "package" then what would you more accurately describe it as? considering that neither are single brand offerings, they are evidently separate components being cobbled together and being offerred as a combo.....so whether it's the 304 or the 506, so long as they're willing to sell it, it's a package right?

Reju,

Just chiming in for clarity here. It appears an unusual package was put together and offered for an attractive price. If you are not able to secure the same, the least you can do is quote that a member in this forum was able to snag it if that is indeed what you are wishing for.

Guys,
I ordered the 5100 package on 25th December .. scheduled to get delivery in 3 days. The standard package comes with the R560. Anybody selling the 304 as part of a 5100 package is running a scam.

Check the Onkyo India link

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA

The typically offered street prices are in the 39 - 40 K range .. I bought it from e-zone in Bangalore and got a better deal because I bought a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma PV8 along with the 5100 (typically offered in the 52 - 53 K range)

regards
Sriram Iyer

Guys,
I ordered the 5100 package on 25th December .. scheduled to get delivery in 3 days. The standard package comes with the R560. Anybody selling the 304 as part of a 5100 package is running a scam.

Check the Onkyo India link

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA

The typically offered street prices are in the 39 - 40 K range .. I bought it from e-zone in Bangalore and got a better deal because I bought a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma PV8 along with the 5100 (typically offered in the 52 - 53 K range)

regards
Sriram Iyer
oh! that's nice. what's the damage? Last time I checked at e-zone Rajajinagar, they said 5100 is out-of-stock and not even available at Onkyo showroom :p

Comparing the prices with the US, I find almost all the companies are selling costlier here in India. Two years back while I was looking for the sony 29" the WEGA DRC (50K) model was twice the price of the WEGA model (25K), while comparing the similar models in the singapore web site I found there was only $100 singapore dollors that worked around 13K.

I brought to the notice of Sony India about this diff, they simply replied that it was due to the tax structure in India. I cannot agree this because the govt will levy different tax for 21" & 29" but they will not look whether it has DRC or 100Hz or HDTV Ready. These people Cheat Indians and take the money to their Country.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back