Onkyo HT-SR800 or TX-SR605 + SKS-HT740

saregamapa

I am located in Chennai. I would like to get my first ever Home Theatre system, for music about 50% of the time and DVD/DTH for rest of the time. My budget is Rs.40K max. After looking around, I am thinking of going for one of the following:

Onkyo HT-SR800 HTiB, OR
Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver + SKS-HT740 Speakers

I almost decided on SR800, but am hesitating after finding it has the following drawbacks:
1) No video upconversion
2) No audio passthrough via HDMI output
The above drawbacks are a major inconvenience in my opinion. (Although you can argue that's what you will get for that price.:))

My questions to this knowledgeable group:
a) Which one do you suggest I go for?
b) I expect SR800 to fit within my budget of Rs.40k, not sure about SR605 + HT740. Any idea about this combination's cost?
c) Do you think the above drawbacks of SR800 make it less attractive of the two?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,
My personal opinion is to go for HT-SR800. The only drawback is the lack of HDMI interfaces. Ask yourself the big question: Am I going to use HDMI right away?

According to me, HDMI will be popular in a couple of years to come-by, when blu-ray players would be more common.

However, the blu-ray players will also have its own HDMI interfaces, so why should one opt for the a/v receiver with HDMI? You would still require a minimum of two connections in either case. IF you're worried about the audion quality, then consider pulling the audion from the optical interface of the blu-ray player!

So, I would suggest you the ht-sr800 and save some bucks.

Thanks,

Nitin.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back