Onkyo HTiBs, need help...

nikhil_j

I am lookin to set up a home theatre and i suppose a htib is my best bet since my budget is under 50k...
I went through Onkyo HT-S5100 specs and couldn't help but notice that i need 7+1 analog inputs to get hd audio. And so marryin it to a ps3 is impossible i believe. So wat do u guys think? any other option in my budget?..
I went thru HT-S6100 specs too, they look great, but wen is it goin to be launched in india? and any idea on the price?..

f you can increase your budget by about 20K, you can go in for an AVR and good set of 5.1 speakers. Please check the following link for details:

ttp://www.hifivision.com/speakers/3027-setting-up-home-theater.html

Good entry level AVR are Onkyo 506, Yamaha 463, Marantz 3001, and Denon 1709.

Cheers

To add to Venkat's comment, any half decent separate system (AVR+speakers) will beat HTiB hands down. You will not regret the 20K once you hear the difference.

Thanks guys, but are these htibs really so bad? they ve had some rave reviews, especially on the sound front.
And i think HT-S6100 comes with an Onkyo 606 AVR, which is pretty good (minus the up conversion of course). And it is a stand alone AVR, so upgradin shouldn't be a problem either.
And my budget is 50k excludin the player...

Last edited:
Thanks guys, but are these htibs really so bad? they ve had some rave reviews, especially on the sound front. And i think HT-S6100 comes with an Onkyo 606 AVR, which is pretty good (minus the up conversion of course). And it is a stand alone AVR, so upgradin shouldn't be a problem either. And my budget is 50k excludin the player...

Let us assume the HT-S6100 has the 606 receiver. That itself is 600USD. The HT system is 700. So you get a full set of 5.1 speakers for 100$. What will be quality of that? Reviews are always at a particular sound point and with reference to competing product. An HTIB will never be compared to separates.

There is nothing wrong with HTIBs, though one weakness they may have are speakers, interconnect and cables. If you buy an HTIB, replace the interconnects and speaker cables and you will get much better sound.

Companies such as Wharfedale, Canton, KEF etc make much better speakers. Speakers are very important for a good system.

Ultimately everything depends upon your ears. Listen to them and see. If you like them, there is no harm in going for them.

Cheers

Let us assume the HT-S6100 has the 606 receiver. That itself is 600USD. The HT system is 700. So you get a full set of 5.1 speakers for 100$. What will be quality of that? Reviews are always at a particular sound point and with reference to competing product. An HTIB will never be compared to separates.

There is nothing wrong with HTIBs, though one weakness they may have are speakers, interconnect and cables. If you buy an HTIB, replace the interconnects and speaker cables and you will get much better sound.

Companies such as Wharfedale, Canton, KEF etc make much better speakers. Speakers are very important for a good system.

Ultimately everything depends upon your ears. Listen to them and see. If you like them, there is no harm in going for them.

Cheers
I think its not the exact 606, but similar. And the street price of 606 is an avg $350 now and the htib is $600. And goin HD is a top priority on my list.
Anyway will listen to them before i decide.
The problem is ht-s6100 has not been released in india yet, know any dates?..
b.t.w, do u know wher i can get good interconnects and cables?..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back