Onkyo HTS-3100 - Speaker Upgrade

Nitin Arora

Hi All,
This is my first post here so I apologies if this is in the wrong place. I have an old Onkyo HTS-3100 that I bought in 2008. I have had the system for over 4 years not and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
However, I would now like to upgrade the speakers if I can. I still like the receiver and am happy with the features that it offers but would like better sound quality than the existing satellites. I have the Jamo S 426 HCS package in mind and it fits nicely in my budget. I just wanted to check with some of the experienced folks here if it is a good idea to hook up these speakers to the receiver.
I think the receiver is rated at 115w @6 ohms and the speakers are well within that.
I would much appreciate any suggestion in this regard..
Many Thanks
Nitin

Yes you can definitely go for Jamo S 426 HCS. But if you want small speakers then you can buy Wharfedale MS 100 HCP. Its also very good.

onkyo 3100 does not have subwoofer out. It for passive woofer. I am not sure, if active woofer can be used for this receiver.

I actually wanted floor standers hence the choice.

Also the package that I was looking at does not include a sub and I am currently not very keen on upgrading to an active sub. I was only looking at the floor standing, centre and the surr. I probably will upgrade the sub when i upgrade the AVR.

So am I currect to assume that there will be no power mismatch. Also would you guys suggest if I only upgrade to two front speakers to something such as the Vardus 300.

Thanks
nitin

Thaks rajesh, so you are saying either I upgrade to a Jamo S 426 HCS, or if I decide to go the Vardus 300 way then I should upgrade the centre as well?

I am a little confused since I like the Jamo package but am not sure of the SQ vs. the Vardus. Also the Vardus 300 + a centre will end up costing more so I am wondering what to do.

Thanks
Nitin

sorry cant suggest as I havnt heard both. I am using old floorstanders as fronts, when I have budget, will plan for other upgrades.
As you are planing to upgrade AVR in future, you can buy good speakers now. Later you dont have to look for speakers.

No worries. Many thanks for the help. Also I have only been looking at the total power of the receiver @6 ohms and the maximum power of the speakers.

Just for my reference, are there any other specs that I must consider before matching a set of speakers to my AVR (so that I dont redender either useless).

Also, just wanted to check if any one else here has previously tried upgrading speakers on the 3100 AVR and their experiences?

No worries. Many thanks for the help. Also I have only been looking at the total power of the receiver @6 ohms and the maximum power of the speakers.

Just for my reference, are there any other specs that I must consider before matching a set of speakers to my AVR (so that I dont redender either useless).

Also, just wanted to check if any one else here has previously tried upgrading speakers on the 3100 AVR and their experiences?

I think Upgrading the speaker should be a stopgap measure for you. Ultimately, you will replace the AVR. So its better to concentrate on speaker specs rather than matching the speakers with an old AVR. Try to get the best speaker in your budget, may be down the line in 1-2 years you will be able to replace the AVR and then reap the full benefits of speakers.

That is indeed correct Rupam. This is a stop gap arrangement for me. I have been looking around and it seems that the Jamo 426 is the best fit for my budget so I guess i will go for it (after audiotioning)

It is available at Reliance for 21,800 so that is great. Maybe at a later stage I will upgrade to a Denon 1713 and an active sub.

Thanks
Nitin

I havent heard these thus far but does anyone know how do the Jamo S 426 HCS sound without a sub. Or are they just useless without the sub?

Thanks
Nitin

Just a quick update. I have had a chance to audition the Jamo and was honestly not impressed. I guess it tells that they tried to price the entire set at that price since the speakers sound........"Hollow".

Now I have decided to but only 2 floor standers and am having a tough time deciding between the following:

1. Valdus 400
2. Polk Tsi 300
3. Polk Tsi 400

My biggest concern is which of these would my amp (ht r340) be able to drive safely to moderate sound levels. I live in an apartment building so I am not going to turn the volume all the way up anyways and I plan to upgrade my amp and sub in the medium term. I think the Polks are rated at 8 ohms and I am not sure if I can use these with my existing system. I would really be grateful if someone can guide me on this.

Thanks
nitin

Just a quick update. I have had a chance to audition the Jamo and was honestly not impressed. I guess it tells that they tried to price the entire set at that price since the speakers sound........"Hollow".

Now I have decided to but only 2 floor standers and am having a tough time deciding between the following:

1. Valdus 400
2. Polk Tsi 300
3. Polk Tsi 400

My biggest concern is which of these would my amp (ht r340) be able to drive safely to moderate sound levels. I live in an apartment building so I am not going to turn the volume all the way up anyways and I plan to upgrade my amp and sub in the medium term. I think the Polks are rated at 8 ohms and I am not sure if I can use these with my existing system. I would really be grateful if someone can guide me on this.

Thanks
nitin

Better consider a BS over the FS...The receiver is not that powerful to drive a FS in my opinion...

sensitivity & efficiency (db) of the speaker is more important than power handling factor..

It doesn't mean that you receiver is not capable of driving the tower, it will/can....But it may not have the scale of attack that a receiver with higher output can do...

If you closely look @ speaker impedance, there might be something mentioned as minimum impedance....Which can go below 4 Ohms for demanding speakers (power hungry speakers)...

Now don't bother about power hungry speakers now.....

Thanks elangoas. I am looking to upgrade to floorstanders since I plan to upgrade the receiver as well some time soon. I could buy good BS but I would be kind of left craving as and when I update the receiver.

In terms of the speakers, I will look for the min impedance rating but my current speakers are rated at 6 ohms nominal so I am wondering if the new speakers are at of above 6 ohms I should be fine?

Also, I was speaking to a vendor and he mentioned that the Valdus 400 should be easily driven by that receiver. Do you think that will not be the case?

Much appreciate the help.

Thanks elangoas. I am looking to upgrade to floorstanders since I plan to upgrade the receiver as well some time soon. I could buy good BS but I would be kind of left craving as and when I update the receiver.

In terms of the speakers, I will look for the min impedance rating but my current speakers are rated at 6 ohms nominal so I am wondering if the new speakers are at of above 6 ohms I should be fine?

Also, I was speaking to a vendor and he mentioned that the Valdus 400 should be easily driven by that receiver. Do you think that will not be the case?

Much appreciate the help.

Are Valdus 400 / Vardus 400 the same ?

I believe that the Vardus 400 is 90db efficient...Should be easy to drive....

If you can carry your receiver alone to the vendor place and check it yourself, it will clear most of your doubts.....

Are Valdus 400 / Vardus 400 the same ?

I have been trying to find out the same thing and it looks to me that they are. I got Valdus from Warfedale's web site.

Unfort the problem is that none of the local vendors here seem to stock the speaker so cant audition it. Actually, from your advice I am looking at BS as well. Was lookign at Polk RTi A3 and it looks to fit my budget well. So will audition this and see what I get.

Thanks deepak but I had called up Designer audio yesterday but they said that they did not have these in stock to audition so am kind of stuck. There is a shop called beats 99 near thane that I plan to visit on saturday but I think even they do not have these readily available to audition. Will see what I can hear there and then try to make up my mind.

I guess as long as my amp is able to drive the Valdus I will be happy and as elangoas said with a 90db efficiency should be doable. My current speakers have a spl of 82 dB/W/m :(

Man I wish I had done enough research before buying the 3100.

No worries! I don't know where you're located but you could also try Profx at Atria Mall for Polk tsi 300 / 400 & this place called Fair Deal in Tardeo or the shop in Andheri (Wharfedale, polk etc). All good dealers with a good choice. Make an appointment & carry you're amp along.
the shop 02226237588 (I got my wharf dx1 here)
fairdeal 9619222575

Nitin

I was/am also in exactly the same situation. For best advice you can get in touch with Mr Hari Iyer,one of our esteemed forum member. He is a very nice guy & builds speakers on demand. He is not a commercial vendor but makes speaker purely as a hobby & passion. if u want i can share his contact no on PM. if interseted in used speakers, there is an ad put up by santy in the For sale by owner section. Santy is also based in Navi Mumbai.

Back