Onkyo HTS 9100 Bass Trouble

eclipz

Hi guys...
After lots of searching had landed on modern world for a demo of HTS9100 like it and bought it for 72k just one week back.

After installation i found that the sub was under performing, there was no oomph factor in the sub at all ... Tried increasing the knob to full and subwoofer volume to +12db but only onnoying booooom sound.

During the demo the same speaker was rattling the seats but in my room there is not even a proper thump....

Also tried changing the sub cable. still no solution.

Tried the manual equaliser setting @ +3db for all sub hertz.... now there is only a slight difference....

Do help if you know any solution.....

Hi guys...
After lots of searching had landed on modern world for a demo of HTS9100 like it and bought it for 72k just one week back.

After installation i found that the sub was under performing, there was no oomph factor in the sub at all ... Tried increasing the knob to full and subwoofer volume to +12db but only onnoying booooom sound.

During the demo the same speaker was rattling the seats but in my room there is not even a proper thump....

Tried the manual equaliser setting @ +3db for all sub hertz.... now there is only a slight difference....

Try out different placements for the sub. It might also be due to the speakers cancelling out the bass from the subwoofer. Proper placement might help.

Hi guys...

Where have you placed SUB in the room?

Thanks for Quick Replies....

Sub is Placed in Front Left Corner

Also Where is the cross over frequency setting present in the receiver...
As of now i have not connected any output to the receiver.... Still breaking my head on which TV to buy for Bluray and PS3 play back..... :)

ONKYO

press the settings button on the remote and then use the up and down arrow keys to browse for speaker settings.. some place you will find the crossover before that change the rest of the settings u have done l(db increase in sub) it will only make the sub boomy.

also is it directly placed on ground or something else..

also chk what imput you are giving might be the input settings on the dvdp can help.

as i had similar issue with 3100 but it was the dvdp that was set to multi channel rather than stereo...

chk that as well..

I had similar problems and found it corrected after changing the following settings.

(1) Switch your Audyssey to OFF
(2) Set the "Cross over frequency" to 80db to 100db
(3) Set the Speaker to "Small" under speaker configuration so that all bass can be heard from LFE
(4) Set the "Double Bass" to ON
(5) Set the distance of the SUBWOOFER "Speaker Distance". Please note that this helps a lot
(6) Do not touch the level calibration as of now

Play a music file with lot of LFE in it like "Inna" "50 cents" "AKON".

If you still don't feel the boom, then place the speaker in different places in the room and check for the boom. wherever you get the nice boom, you will have to keep there. I have kept it in right hand corner of my room with 1/2 feet away from walls so that the sound won't reflect.

After the above setup, if you still don't feel good BASS, then increase the level calibration settings.

If all the above method fails, please contact the technician.

I had similar problems and found it corrected after changing the following settings.

(1) Switch your Audyssey to OFF
(2) Set the "Cross over frequency" to 80db to 100db
(3) Set the Speaker to "Small" under speaker configuration so that all bass can be heard from LFE
(4) Set the "Double Bass" to ON
(5) Set the distance of the SUBWOOFER "Speaker Distance". Please note that this helps a lot
(6) Do not touch the level calibration as of now

Play a music file with lot of LFE in it like "Inna" "50 cents" "AKON".

If you still don't feel the boom, then place the speaker in different places in the room and check for the boom. wherever you get the nice boom, you will have to keep there. I have kept it in right hand corner of my room with 1/2 feet away from walls so that the sound won't reflect.

After the above setup, if you still don't feel good BASS, then increase the level calibration settings.

If all the above method fails, please contact the technician.

The only problem is, if you set your speakers to "small", you can't enable "Double Bass" mode. Anyways, if he is checking the subs, "Double bass" should be "off".

rahuljonline is absolutely right. Sorry for suggesting DOUBLE BASS on. That can be set to ON only when you are setting speakers size to LARGE and when you want BASS from your LR/Surround speakers.

As you are expecting BASS from LFE speaker, DOUBLE BASS should be off which will be automatically done by AVR if you set the speakers to SMALL.

Thanks.

My Receiver is 960 model

Nowhere in my settings am i able to find the settings you guys had mentioned.

1. Crossover : Nope
2. speaker size: nope
3. Double bass: none whatsoever

The only settings the receiver shows are

Manual Equaliser settings
Subwooofer
20 hz, 40, 60, 80, 100, 160 hz. i have all these set to +6 , 6, 5, 5, 4, 3 respectiviley

The sub distance is 4.9 m thoush its just 2 m.

@ senthilsss .. Are the settings you have mentioned in the 9100 THX model?...

@ everyone... anyone with the same model pls give info on where to find the above settings..

Also i have gone thru the whole manual, but was not able to find any of the above mentioned settings.......

Thanks for your replies.... :)

Thilak

My Receiver is 960 model

Nowhere in my settings am i able to find the settings you guys had mentioned.

1. Crossover : Nope
2. speaker size: nope
3. Double bass: none whatsoever

The only settings the receiver shows are

Manual Equaliser settings
Subwooofer
20 hz, 40, 60, 80, 100, 160 hz. i have all these set to +6 , 6, 5, 5, 4, 3 respectiviley

The sub distance is 4.9 m thoush its just 2 m.

@ senthilsss .. Are the settings you have mentioned in the 9100 THX model?...

@ everyone... anyone with the same model pls give info on where to find the above settings..

Also i have gone thru the whole manual, but was not able to find any of the above mentioned settings.......

Thanks for your replies.... :)

Thilak

Sorry Thilak! Since my basic 3300 has these settings, I thought yours will also have the same. My bad. ;)

first get everything to default and then set the sub to 80-100hz.

then use stereo mode for playing songs through dvdp try some rap.. those are bass heavy..

also try to chk the settings on dvd player. .few have inbuilt settings for output..

try diff media..

also chk the quality of files u r playing as generally the files they play in demo are
good quality...

also turn off auto calibration if any ..

The Solution, The Verdict

Hope this may help People...

After investigating settings in onkyo HTS 960 receiver the following seemed to bother me immensely.

1. Lack of crossover frequency setting. (This meant that i can never listen to music with good bass coz the receiver was having the default crossover setting of 80HZ(THX Spec) which i felt is not good enuf for music)
2. Lack of Specifying size of speakers (large, small, full range)[This very clearly indicated that "this is, will be and going to be Home theater in box" meaning no fidelity in adding good speakers to the amp]
3. Lack of Bass Modes (Well even if present it wouldnt do any good)
4. THX listening mode ( switch to this mode and whatever bass was firing frm speakers would also die)
5. Equalizer (There are only three equalizer modes 1. OFF :) 2. Manual (lots of numbers and hrtz to go thru for each speaker 3. Audyssey (I had tried audyssey two times and swore to never waste my 15 min time on it again)

After lots of research and reading found out that sadly HT 960 being a THX certified receiver has only limited settings to tweak bass. Also other owners are especially awed by their Subs performance. With my life online (in a literal sense) tried every 2 cents people offered as follows.

Break in: kept my Bass at 30% and ran Sub woofer test file (20 Hz - 200 Hz) for hours and hours to gather (I did notice that the sub was really powerful since at peak db in 20 HZ i felt my body vibrate)
Sub Placement: Tried all places and found that right in front of my seating at a distance of 4 ' was right
Audyssey: Had a link to audyssey guide which is big time help since audyssey setup is not a one time thing it needs to be redone with proper speaker levels, placements, sub volume etc.c.c.

After three tries of Audyssey with Sub volume @ 25 %(THX reference), @ 40% and then @ 55%. The final Try was worth every 70,000 bucks spent on the HTIB. Though there are many reviews of otherwise about the audissey, for a amateur like me, Audyssey took me for a spin and threw me far away.

With Audyssey "on" now the Music is Great, Moviz are glass shattering and games are just out of the world. The speakers have just transformed into some thing else, the vocals seem to float independently, Highs and mids tingles your head and you FEEL the bass.

VERDICT: Though the HTIB offers very little fidelity, but when setup right, it will keep surprising you. Now The THX listening modes makes sense, Even stereo music seems to be surround 7.1 mixed. All in All "GREAT"

Thanks to all who keep posting and replying and reading for the intangible support rendered in realizing the true potential of this HTiB

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back