Onkyo or Denon AVR, Polk or Jamo Speakers

Jayaraman Natesan

Hello Friends,

I am thinking of setting up a home theatre system and have this query on mind. Should I go for Onkyo or Denon, Polk or Jamo speakers or similar good brands? I would like to go the 7.1 channel system with HDMI I/O. My budget is between 70k to 80k or around ~5% deviation. The above budget is only for AVR and Speakers, DVD budget is extra. I do not understand a great deal about technicalities behind Dolby, Prologic or DTS except for their terms. I just love good high clarity music and enjoy watching movies with all the roar and rumblings. If any one has suggestions would appreciate the same. Any details to understand these techy terms better would be an icing on the cake :) Thank you very much in anticipation.

Rgds
Jay

Last edited:
Hello Friends,

I am thinking of setting up a home theatre system and have this query on mind. Should I go for Onkyo or Denon, Polk or Jamo speakers or similar good brands? ....Jay

Hi Jay,

70- 80K? is that including your display? or do you already have something? I would recommend Onkyo 675 (36K approx) and a Klipsch speakers(60k) for a good mid level (or entry level by audiophile standards !) setup. Obviously, the TV / projector will cost extra, dont miss the bus on full HD now that Blueray is here. So consider seriously a Blueray player or PS3 (another 30 odd K)

More opinions will follow your responses !

regards

Thank you Kiran and Ajit for your replies.

My budget of 70 to 80K is only for AVR and Speakers and thinking of increasing it now since I am not happy with the receivers I am getting at 30K range from both Denon and Onkyo, even the SR605 from Onkyo is not to my liking. I think the 703 does better and also the Denon 2308. I am inclining towards Denon 2308 although it is about 10K+ more than Onkyo but the quality on the Denon looks good the only draw back being both do not have HD but the 705 does, but it isn't great on audio either.

My budget has gone up to around 120,000 to 130,000 for the AVR and speakers now.

I am yet to finalize my investment in a TV (Flat Panel, thinking around ~100,000) and Player (not sure what the right budget for them would be).

Should I go for Onkyo or Denon, Polk or Jamo speakers or similar good brands?

IMO, in that price band equivalently priced Harman Kardon beats both Denon and Onkyo.

Entry level Polk Audio speakers are good at first listen. But the impression doesn't last long. Polk Audio LSi series are great.

Jamo Concert series is great.

Push your budget to 1L and you can get much better.

Hello Friends,

I am thinking of setting up a home theatre system and have this query on mind. Should I go for Onkyo or Denon, Polk or Jamo speakers or similar good brands? I would like to go the 7.1 channel system with HDMI I/O. My budget is between 70k to 80k or around ~5% deviation. The above budget is only for AVR and Speakers, DVD budget is extra. I do not understand a great deal about technicalities behind Dolby, Prologic or DTS except for their terms. I just love good high clarity music and enjoy watching movies with all the roar and rumblings. If any one has suggestions would appreciate the same. Any details to understand these techy terms better would be an icing on the cake :) Thank you very much in anticipation.

Rgds
Jay
it woudnt matter much to know about the technicalities of these terms,its all about ur ears, ur music, that u listen, that will determine a music system.anyways i own jamo 606s towers,and have auditoned polk tsi300, i would rate polk with good subs better than jamo.polk has more open sound when u listen to vocal sounds.

Hi Jayaraman Natesan,
I feel the best option for you is Yamaha Rx-V663 which is priced at 52k and will do justice to both Music and Movie with full HDMI capablility, try to audition.
Regards
sub

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back