Onkyo or Sonodyne Subwoofer

sunny800

Hello All,
I am in the market to buy a subwoofer to complement my existing (5)speakers. My budget is about 10K and the Onkyo SKW-204 (230 W) and Sonodyne R108(100W) are available in this range. I understand that there are better sw (eg Wharfedale SW-150) but they are out of my limits.

So the question is which is a better sw, the onkyo or the sonodyne? Or is there another model in this price range that I should consider?

Regards
sunny800

Hi,

I have seen Yamaha Subwoofers with Advanced Yamaha Active Servo Technology (Advanced YST).

I have seen these subwoofers in TATA Croma within your price range. Try these too.

Thanks,
Prakash

Prakash,
Thanks for the response. I was in Croma yesterday and did see a the yamaha sw, but croma wouldnt sell them as stand alones, but only as a speaker package.

regards
Sunny800

Hello All,
I am in the market to buy a subwoofer to complement my existing (5)speakers. My budget is about 10K and the Onkyo SKW-204 (230 W) and Sonodyne R108(100W) are available in this range. I understand that there are better sw (eg Wharfedale SW-150) but they are out of my limits.

So the question is which is a better sw, the onkyo or the sonodyne? Or is there another model in this price range that I should consider?

Regards
sunny800

buddy if u r really tight on budget then i will suggest you to buy sonodyne instead of onkyo...
and b4 making a purchase i will suggest u to look in for some DIY speakers, they are cheaper and are much better than the company made starting subwoofer range...

Since you are based outta Blore, get in touch with Ramesh aka hifipal4all @ 9844404269. I'm sure he can help you out with this.

Cheers.

Hi Sunny,
As Mridul suggested, for the price a good DIY subwoofer will be better than entry level subwoofers of some well known brands; but you need to audition everything in your price range.By the way are you sure the Onkyo SKW 204 is in the price range of 10K.

Here in chennai you can contact CRAFTEL for your Subwoofer.
They make custom made speakers as per individual requirements.
Many of our members have given very positive reviews for their speakers.
May be in that price range you can get a 10 or 12" subwoofer:yahoo:
Just make a call to them & discuss your requirement's and shipping details.
And search in our forum for Craftel for contact details.
You can also consider Sonodyne subwoofers.

Best Regards,
Samuel:cool:

Prakash,
Thanks for the response. I was in Croma yesterday and did see a the yamaha sw, but croma wouldnt sell them as stand alones, but only as a speaker package.

regards
Sunny800

Here in b'lore Croma the sales person quoted 7.5k for the subwoofer alone couple of months back.

Hello All,

Regards
sunny800

Hi Sunny,
I have bought sonodyne amp .The sub is very good.Serves my purpose of having a 5.1 system. I have also seen the R108 - front firing and a good product.
I personnaly never liked onkyo.. Please don't get mad at me..but i simply didn't like it..

hi sunny!
i think the sonodyne will be a better choice than the onkyo. had a sonodyne sub few years back, was good for the price.

I hope you mean you got the sonodyne sub and not amp.
How much did you pay for it?

regards

Hi Sunny,
I have bought sonodyne amp .The sub is very good.Serves my purpose of having a 5.1 system. I have also seen the R108 - front firing and a good product.
I personnaly never liked onkyo.. Please don't get mad at me..but i simply didn't like it..

First, thank you all to those have responded on this thread.

Samuel, yest the onkyo is available for 10K, its probably some kind of clearance sale (no choice of colours).

Based on the demo that I did, I found the sonodyne (100W, 8" sw, downfiring) much more punchier than the onkyo(230w, 10" sw, front firing). I am not sure how much of a difference the amps did, sonodyne was connected to an audio amp where as the onkyo was tested on avr (onkyo 606). One of the tracks that I used to test was the 1st and 2nd track from Black movie album. Right now I am veering towards sonodyne.

Thanks for also referring Ramesh (hifipal) and Craftel. I will try and get in touch with them.

Regards
Sunny800

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back