Onkyo SR 606 settings

hifi1975

Hi All,
Just got my Onkyo SR606 receiver home . ..Please help with my queries

1 ) I am trying to use exisitng Philips 5.1 speaker set (Rs 4500, 3500 )..These are not HT speakers ..kind of satellite speakers with impedence of 3-4 ohms ( woofer might have more ) which i used for watching DVD and TV ..

Can i use these ..The receiver Eq test completed the test successfully , but not sure if using them will cause damage to speaker / receiver

2 ) Volume is just oK when i have my Hatway cable remote volume turned to Maximum and Receiver volume reading is 50 ..I feel the volume is too low as max volume possible is 72 ...what is normal volume level wherein i should get a decent volume if configured correctly

3 ) I am not having a HD TV ...Does that mean i cant view the Onkyo setting menu on TV as manual says its displays only through HDMI output

1 ) I am trying to use exisitng Philips 5.1 speaker set (Rs 4500, 3500 )..These are not HT speakers ..kind of satellite speakers with impedence of 3-4 ohms ( woofer might have more ) which i used for watching DVD and TV ..
How did you connect your speakers to the 606? And the sub? 4ohm speakers will mean more load on the amp and it may auto-shut-down when it exceeds the limit. Suggest that you keep monitoring the volume, heat generated by the amp and also any instances where it shuts down on its own.

2 ) Volume is just oK when i have my Hatway cable remote volume turned to Maximum and Receiver volume reading is 50 ..I feel the volume is too low as max volume possible is 72 ...what is normal volume level wherein i should get a decent volume if configured correctly
The volume might be an issue because of the 4ohm speakers, try checking with a different source also and confirm.

3 ) I am not having a HD TV ...Does that mean i cant view the Onkyo setting menu on TV as manual says its displays only through HDMI output
Unless you have a LCD/Plasma with HDMI-in, you can't watch the AVR menu display.

Thanks for the response ..

The speakers are directly connected to the AV through the speaker provision
( FL , FR , Surround back etc ) ie the Red and Black screws.. and the sub ( which is the integrated receiver and AM/FM radio in the original Philips 5.1 speaker set i got ) is connected throut Subwoofer Pre out from the AV to the Subwoofer RCA input on back of the Sub

What will be a good speaker set within 10 K ( 5.1 ) ..I have 2 phillips speakers which have 6 ohm impedennce which i can reuse to make it 7.1

On another note ..I went to Reliance digital to see some HT systems and sleek looking tower speakers..Most of them had impedance of 3 ohms ..

Does that mean i should not be going for them.

Last edited:
Some of the Onkyo AVRs do cater to 4ohm speakers (non-usa models), go thru your manual and see if there is a provision to set the impedance.

Forget 7.1 definitely, it is not worth to go for, unless you are listening to a well mastered HD/BD disc. Given your budget, I would even say - forget 5.1 and go for a decent pair of bookshelves for now and slowly add the rest 3.1 as and when you have budget in hand.

The Best style package speakers for 606 would be Jamo A102 they are rated at 6 ohms and would be matched well with your AVR. They are avaliable around 25K but if you bargain well and find yourself a good deal then you could even get them around 20K. They are also the award winners from whathifi.

connecting that philips setup to your 606 is a terrible idea. You're investing in amplification worth 35k rupees and connecting speakers worth maybe 3000 bucks considering the setup has a built in amplifier........that's a ridiculously skewed ratio.

If you want to to do any kind of justice to your AVR invest in decent speakers. If you can't afford a full 5.1 setup right now, get a pair of front speakers, and build it up slowly. There are several speaker packages you can consider. The cheapest decent option may be the Pure Acoustics Dream Nano 5.1 setup......it might be around 15k or less, but ideally you should stretch your budget to something like 25k to do justice to that AVR.

Hi All,
Just got my Onkyo SR606 receiver home . ..Please help with my queries

Can i use these ..The receiver Eq test completed the test successfully , but not sure if using them will cause damage to speaker / receiver

Thanks a bunch for the response ..Whats the normal volume level ( vol # ) you use on AVR for regular use .. Just as an indicator for me to ensure i got my settings right with new speakers i need to invest ..As mentioned earlier right now my volume level is 50+ with no great satisafaction , but i understand its due to low end speakers

Unless you have a LCD/Plasma with HDMI-in, you can't watch the AVR menu display.

This is not correct. The 606 has a 'Monitor Out'. Using a simple RCA cable, connect this to the AV1 or AV2 of any TV, even a CRT. When you go to the Setup Mode of the 606, the TV will switch to OSD and display all the Setup information. The HDMI will also work, but sets the monitor to OFF position when it is active.

Please see pages 20 to 30 of the 606 manual.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks ..Will check it out ..Mine is US model and hopefully your tip works..Cant believe that such basic things are being restricted to HD display only

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back