onkyo tx sr-876 the superman of receivers

vellorenavin

hi ,

My second post in the forum though i have been around for more than five plus months. My main contenders for an av receiver for a five lakh plus hometheatre setup were the deono 3808a and the onkyo 876. onkyo proved to be a super receiver in terms of specs ( 2 hdmi outs versus one hdmi out, hqv reon versus the fardoudja etc) and also in terms of demo. onkyo has so much power, is built solid and heavy , and totally swept away the denon 3808a except network capabilities, for which i have got a separate popcorn hour a110 a with an additional wn 100 package, at 295 usd with shiiping ...no customs... i liv ein chennai, i got the onkyo at a super price , ..,.. im on top of the world///////////////////////!!

Last edited:
Congrates,:clapping:

Chennai members are really lucky(custom)
From where did you purchase?

Have purchased it further to minimalistic bargaining at the onkyo superstore / showroom chennai, i do not know if they offer it at the same price to everybody else. But its def worth a try. The branch manager in question being Mr. Sayee jayaraman. This monster receiver of mine ( i got black which is like so cool) just sits there on my desk, half opened, demanding to be touched and spoken to. Well, it also demands to be hefted, but sorry , i aint trying that one again without some help. Already have a bad abckache from lifting it yesterday ...its 24 to 25 kilos easily

Have purchased it further to minimalistic bargaining at the onkyo superstore / showroom chennai, i do not know if they offer it at the same price to everybody else. But its def worth a try. The branch manager in question being Mr. Sayee jayaraman. This monster receiver of mine ( i got black which is like so cool) just sits there on my desk, half opened, demanding to be touched and spoken to. Well, it also demands to be hefted, but sorry , i aint trying that one again without some help. Already have a bad abckache from lifting it yesterday ...its 24 to 25 kilos easily

Navin,
Congrats on your purchase...
I too am longing to buy this monster.. But bit tied up on finances..
I certainly hope to join the group of 876 owners one day, hopefully soon :)
Lie back and enjoy your new hulk! I wish you years of joy.
Regards

realactivex,
Saving up for something and finally getting there is a joyous process in itself. atta boy ! i would say, keep at it! i was saving for almost 7 months. still not procured all my components..........my setup finally will look like onky tx sr876, sanyo plv z 3000 full hd projector, popcorn hour A 110 with wn 100, all of which i have acquired...still to procure list includes kef iq9 floorstanders with iq8ds and q series centres with psw2500 sub, qed cables, galalite 100 inch diagonal fixed projection screen, playstation3 .... blah blah.........phew...when will i get there... ah but i will, we all will!! one day or the other :) :) a couple of months more now. :):) remembering peter tosh's song "were gonna walk and dont look back ..keep on walkin " :p

Why don't you consider the TX SR 706 and a powerful 5 channel amp for the same cost as a 876 receiver. The preamp and surround processing section is no different in THX select and Ultra. There is an extra chip in the 876 but that should not be a deal breaker.

The receiver power amp combo will be miles ahead of any receiver.

er....he's already bought it!

And Navin, where did you buy the Popcorn Hour from? and how did you get it without customs duty? could you enlighten us?

Why don't you consider the TX SR 706 and a powerful 5 channel amp for the same cost as a 876 receiver. The preamp and surround processing section is no different in THX select and Ultra. There is an extra chip in the 876 but that should not be a deal breaker.

The Key is the REON!.

I was obsessed with upscaling some time back when looking at AVRs. However, if you think of it, most DVD players these days come with upscalers, tata sky is too bad to be upscaled, BD rips and HD rips won't need upscaling. Normal DVDs too look decently good on my PJ. So for me what is important is that video from HDMI sources should be left untouched, video from analog sources to be transferred via hdmi - scaling or no scaling, and hdmi/ hd audio should be of the top quality.

Does anyone has a receiver to suggest?

regards

This post is in reply to lakshmant, anm and psychotropic.

1) "tata sky is too bad to be upscaled"
Dont you think its all the more reason for a super-chip upscaling solution?

" most DVD players these days come with upscalers"
A dvd / blue ray player that has a quality upscaling chipset such as the reon hqv or the realta hqv costs upwards of 90,000 no matter which company u consider. Denon ones cost 1,30,000 and above. Do you think it is prudent investing in various such upscaling options at SOURCE, or go for one AVR that has a super upscaling chip to handle all your sources, however mundane and non upscaling they may be?

"Normal DVDs too look decently good on my PJ"
This may be so , but DVD's most certainly are not full HD 1080p. If you have a full HD tv or a full HD projector, it is IMPERATIVE, that you have to get an upscaling option. The upscaling bundled with the TV's are low cost ones, which is precisely the reason they are BUNDLED,....one might argue that in future all material available at source will be 1080p and hence upscaling chips can curl up and die, but hey, when is that future...i see it atleast 7 years down the line, maybe 10. Even if so ,what would you do with all your old material, for eg....my beatles videos shot back in the sixtys and seventies will always need upscalers.

2)" And Navin, where did you buy the Popcorn Hour from? and how did you get it without customs duty? could you enlighten us? "
Sure thing. I asked a friends sister who lives in the US to use her credit card to create a google account (similar to paypal) and buy the product (popcorn hour A110 + WN100 ) direct from the manufacturers website.
Welcome To Popcorn Hour It was shipped in 12 days in pristine condition by UPS couriers, i WAS expecting customs charges, and so , was as shocked as you when the delivery guy said DUTY FREE.. i was smiling and still havent stopped :) 295 usd + rs 5250 for WD caviar green SATA internal HD whic was bought locally at ritchie street,chennai....not a bad equation. consider the Tvix which is dealt in india and costs more and less on features.

3) "Why don't you consider the TX SR 706 and a powerful 5 channel amp for the same cost as a 876 receiver. The preamp and surround processing section is no different in THX select and Ultra. There is an extra chip in the 876 but that should not be a deal breaker".
That chip is and will be the deal breaker laxman :p for all the above mentioned reasons ....HQV REON in the onkyo 876 is a godsend, usually an upscaling chip of such quality is available only in prohibitively priced avr / amps. Denon ones with such facility cost over 2.5 lakhs.Try googling receivers with such facility and try finding out the cost. You will be amazed how onkyo can price 876 so low

I have argued my points. Guys can always correct me if i am wrong. Every single day is a learning experience;)

Last edited:
ok - have you tasted the upscaling as yet of the AVR? Do you see any noise/ shimmer in the picture, compared to the untouched picture? In fact, many of the AVRs tinker with the image even when upscaling is off. What display size are you connecting it to? Spending 89k on AVR is fully justified if the upscaling brings a smile to your face every time to watch a movie/ video. Do you see any motion blur/ jerky movement with upscaling on?

From my perspective, 89k is too very expensive. This is also has to do a lot with my low income/ budget, besides AVR performance. I just need an avr that can do video switching without tinkering with the image. Seems it is very hard to find one. It needs to be solid in audio processing, and decent in power. For extra muscles, I should be able to add external amps so it should have pre-amp out. For me a justified cost for such an avr is 30-35k - yamaha 663 is in that category.

I think, and its just my thought - all technologies that create extra data from less data are not as good as original. Upscalers would create extra pixels, based on existing pixels in the video, using some algo. For some it may look outstanding, for some it may be unbearable. For example - digital zoom in digicam. Optical zoom is always better.
As far as PJ is concerned, I think increasing image size from 30" to 100" is similar to optical zoom. The clarity remains very much the same, except some loss in brightness - so upscaling has lesser returns in this case.

regards

I do not subscribe to your views on upscaling , :(

I subscribe to your views on digi zoom versus optical zoom :) my projector is gonna be a sanyo plv z 3000 full HD.

I double subscribe to your views on audio and budget avr. :):) The market has various avr's at variying prices just for that purpose. Without choices, the world would be such a dim place to live in. Yamaha 663 is an excellent choice for your purposes, gimme a few days i will try and suggest a better bang for your money ;)

i agree with you navin, the Reon is an awesome chip and the price you have paid for the AVR sounds very good for the features it has provided of course it handles the sound amplification competently as well. I've heard the 506 and for the money it sounded excellent, so I can imagine that the 876 must be significantly superior.

enjoy the dazzling images :)

This post is in reply to lakshmant, anm and psychotropic.

1) "tata sky is too bad to be upscaled"
Dont you think its all the more reason for a super-chip upscaling solution?

" most DVD players these days come with upscalers"
A dvd / blue ray player that has a quality upscaling chipset such as the reon hqv or the realta hqv costs upwards of 90,000 no matter which company u consider. Denon ones cost 1,30,000 and above. Do you think it is prudent investing in various such upscaling options at SOURCE, or go for one AVR that has a super upscaling chip to handle all your sources, however mundane and non upscaling they may be?

"Normal DVDs too look decently good on my PJ"
This may be so , but DVD's most certainly are not full HD 1080p. If you have a full HD tv or a full HD projector, it is IMPERATIVE, that you have to get an upscaling option. The upscaling bundled with the TV's are low cost ones, which is precisely the reason they are BUNDLED,....one might argue that in future all material available at source will be 1080p and hence upscaling chips can curl up and die, but hey, when is that future...i see it atleast 7 years down the line, maybe 10. Even if so ,what would you do with all your old material, for eg....my beatles videos shot back in the sixtys and seventies will always need upscalers.

2)" And Navin, where did you buy the Popcorn Hour from? and how did you get it without customs duty? could you enlighten us? "
Sure thing. I asked a friends sister who lives in the US to use her credit card to create a google account (similar to paypal) and buy the product (popcorn hour A110 + WN100 ) direct from the manufacturers website.
Welcome To Popcorn Hour It was shipped in 12 days in pristine condition by UPS couriers, i WAS expecting customs charges, and so , was as shocked as you when the delivery guy said DUTY FREE.. i was smiling and still havent stopped :) 295 usd + rs 5250 for WD caviar green SATA internal HD whic was bought locally at ritchie street,chennai....not a bad equation. consider the Tvix which is dealt in india and costs more and less on features.

3) "Why don't you consider the TX SR 706 and a powerful 5 channel amp for the same cost as a 876 receiver. The preamp and surround processing section is no different in THX select and Ultra. There is an extra chip in the 876 but that should not be a deal breaker".
That chip is and will be the deal breaker laxman :p for all the above mentioned reasons ....HQV REON in the onkyo 876 is a godsend, usually an upscaling chip of such quality is available only in prohibitively priced avr / amps. Denon ones with such facility cost over 2.5 lakhs.Try googling receivers with such facility and try finding out the cost. You will be amazed how onkyo can price 876 so low ( i got mine for 89.000).

I have argued my points. Guys can always correct me if i am wrong. Every single day is a learning experience;)

ok - will wait for your pm :)

And more eagerly, wait for your review of upscaling :) Just review it as if you would get money for finding faults :eek:hyeah:

I do not subscribe to your views on upscaling , :(

I subscribe to your views on digi zoom versus optical zoom :) my projector is gonna be a sanyo plv z 3000 full HD.

I double subscribe to your views on audio and budget avr. :):) The market has various avr's at variying prices just for that purpose. Without choices, the world would be such a dim place to live in. Yamaha 663 is an excellent choice for your purposes, gimme a few days i will try and suggest a better bang for your money ;)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back